SW117 Opens Up, It Is Amazing

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

SW117 Opens Up, It Is Amazing

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:58 am

Daniel Budish, and Betsy Figgie have a vision, a large safe section of a community for the LGBTQ community to live, work, have fun, and live in peace. Something everyone deserves. Their plan is called Studio West 117, or SW117 for short. It comprises 2 large sections of Lakewood and 3 large lots in Cleveland. Their plan is to rebuild the Phantasy Complex for 4 bars and clubs, "The Fieldhouse behind the Phantasy which has 3 restaurants, 1 large gym, 1 large suspended running track, and rooms galore for education, counseling, and just relaxing.

Last night was the 2nd soft opening of The Fieldhouse, with tours, show and samples of food and drink. It was amazing.

Here is a peak and a link to all the photos.

Daniel Budish and Betsy Figgie address the crowd.

LaTrice Royal, from the LGBTQ community and is with the entertainers, tell what it means to have a safe space, and how amazing this concept is.
LaTrice is also a regular on RuPaul's Drag Races TV show.

Tony Correa B. Riley House, explains why it means so much to him.

Then a sample of the shows that will be a constant in the SW117 Complex.

Mars walks past the rotating art gallery from the LGBTQ Community.

The Stonewall Sports Gym was divided up for Exercise class, Pickle Ball, and Dodgeball. Cycling with Nathan, Drag Yoga with Lola Escandalo, and Belly Dancing with MeElinda R.

The culinary room.

The upstairs bar and restaurant, aka The Trellis Room.

Rooftop dining and partying in this part of the Trellis Room.

Private cabanas.

This is an amazing development for the East Side of Lakewood!

As we leave we see people sitting outside of the walk up pizza by the slice restaurant known as "Eat Me."

Good luck Daniel and Betsy.

For those that want to check it out, this is opening weekend, with an amazing party planned for Saturday Night, stop by and see one of the most amazing places in Lakewood.

You can see all the photos of this amazing project at:
http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jim-obryan/sw-117-walk-through

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Re: SW117 Opens Up, It Is Amazing

Postby Bill Call » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:16 am

Is it appropriate for the government to donate $5 million dollars subsidize 3 new restaurants when privately funded restaurants are struggling to survive?

Jim O'Bryan

Re: SW117 Opens Up, It Is Amazing

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:38 am

Bill Call wrote:Is it appropriate for the government to donate $5 million dollars subsidize 3 new restaurants when privately funded restaurants are struggling to survive?

Fascinating question, not sure of the facts or the answers. I am doing a piece on how all the financing came together. It is pretty fascinating.

The three restaurants in the Fieldhouse, are just a small part of the puzzle. 5 bars and clubs in the Old Phantasy Complex. Meanwhile across the street where NTW was is a 4+ story building going up with parking, apartments, medical offices, etc.

They have options on the first three buildings on Highland Ave going north, they purchased the building My Friends is in, and turning that to affordable housing. When I asked "affordable?" Daniel's answer was under $1,000 for a 2 bedroom.

Then they purchased the funeral home at West 115 and Detroit for offices.

Money is pouring into this project from all over. CAVS and Special Olympics built the gym. Featuring special lighting.

So you have places like the HOLEspital sucking up hundreds of millions, Thank you Ed, Mike, Build Lakewood and the fools that supported them.

OR, something that is actually happening and adding a massive plus to the community.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”