Lakewood City Council and the Politics of Exclusion

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

m buckley

Lakewood City Council and the Politics of Exclusion

Postby m buckley » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:40 pm

Lakewood City Council has a race issue.

And with each open seat on City Council that exclusively, always goes to the next white person up, that issue, that stain grows, and it cheapens all of us.

For the third time in three years there will be an open seat to fill on City Council. This time it's Ward 4, one of Lakewood's most diverse Wards. Dan O'Malley's Ward.

A third open seat in three years and with it Lakewood City Council has been given yet another opportunity to embrace diversity. Another opportunity to take the important step toward an inclusive Lakewood. Another opportunity to appoint a person of color.

Those two previous open seats, and that garbage invoked - 'Right Person', 'Unique Skillset'. Code. Language used to excuse, to exclude, to ensure that Lakewood City Council remains all white. It needs to end. The big grin, arm around the shoulder, stand next to me for the photo-op, but know this, you'll never sit next to me on City Council - garbage. It needs to end. The systemic racism that keeps Lakewood City Council all white needs to end.

Lakewood is a town that preaches Diversity. That word, that message, is printed on yard signs, planted in front lawns, in every Ward in Lakewood. John Litten, Tristan Rader, Sarah Kepple, Kyle Baker and the other two white guys - Where do you stand on Diversity with yet another open seat to fill on City Council? What are you doing to ensure that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are realized on City Council?
What are you doing to elevate Diversity from a word on a yard sign that any dog can piss on, to a seat at the table, to a position of power, to Lakewood City Council?

Representation matters. And it's shameful that in 2022 that argument needs to be made yet again to Lakewood's all white City Council.

Lakewood City Council has a race issue.

And with each open seat on City Council that exclusively, always goes to the next white person up, that issue, that stain grows, and it cheapens all of us.

Ward 4 has an open seat. John Litten, Tristan Rader, Sarah Kepple, Kyle Baker and the other two white guys - Make a difference. Matter. Embrace Diversity. Appoint a Person of Color. Change Lakewood.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
David Anderson

Re: Lakewood City Council and the Politics of Exclusion

Postby David Anderson » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 am

So, you believe that the color of a person’s skin tells you everything of importance about that person?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:08 am

Mr. Anderson's comment exemplifies exactly the point that Mr. Buckley is asserting.

Mr. Buckley, I think, understands that in all of our professions and jobs that we work day-by-day with an amazing diversity of citizens and that our political process is better for that talented diversity.

The insider process at City Council that consistently ensures the appointment of Democrats also seems to exclude the appointment of candidates who have run for office and who are more than qualified such as Ms. Rodrigues-Carbone.

As a third-generation Democrat, it pains me to continually witness the terrible public policy outcomes in Lakewood under our present city government as constituted by endorsed Democrats who vote in block with the corporate development interests or the local corporate bar interests transferring tax dollars and public assets into their hands.

My first boss and many successive bosses in my legal career have been distinguished individuals of color, not to mention those whom I was proud to serve with in the Army.

It's that simple.

Mr. Buckley, as well as most of us, knows exactly what City Council is likely to do in filing the open seat. I share his concern.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:13 am

Which ward 4 resident of black, Puerto Rican, mestizo, Hispanic, middle eastern, south Asian, central Asian, East Asian, southeast Asian, Greek, Turkish, or Native American heritage do you recommend for the ward four council seat?

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:37 pm

Mark Kindt wrote: Mr. Buckley, I think, understands that in all of our professions and jobs that we work day-by-day with an amazing diversity of citizens and that our political process is better for that talented diversity.

The insider process at City Council that consistently ensures the appointment of Democrats also seems to exclude the appointment of candidates who have run for office and who are more than qualified such as Ms. Rodrigues-Carbone.

Mark, are there others you’re aware of? Asking because you said “candidates” (plural) and it’s continuously suggested by a couple a couple of you that this is a pattern of passing over candidates of color rather than one individual. Since I have proudly supported and actively campaigned for POC at every level of elected office from precinct committee to president I would really like you to present evidence of your claim. I am also proud to have appointed more women, people of color, and LGBTQ residents to city boards of commission than any Councilmember in history, in part because of my continued hope that this would create interest and opportunity among those who have truly not been encouraged to take that next step. It’s how I started my civic involvement here in Lakewood.

Dan O'Malley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm

ryan costa wrote:Which ward 4 resident of black, Puerto Rican, mestizo, Hispanic, middle eastern, south Asian, central Asian, East Asian, southeast Asian, Greek, Turkish, or Native American heritage do you recommend for the ward four council seat?

Again, i think the tone here is sarcastic like Mr. Anderson's comment and is fundamentally indicative of the problem that Mr. Buckley has raised here is a bold and clear manner.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote: Mr. Buckley, I think, understands that in all of our professions and jobs that we work day-by-day with an amazing diversity of citizens and that our political process is better for that talented diversity.

Mark, are there others you’re aware of? Asking because you said “candidates” (plural) and it’s continuously suggested by a couple a couple of you that this is a pattern of passing over candidates of color rather than one individual. Since I have proudly supported and actively campaigned for POC at every level of elected office from precinct committee to president I would really like you to present evidence of your claim. I am also proud to have appointed more women, people of color, and LGBTQ residents to city boards of commission than any Councilmember in history, in part because of my continued hope that this would create interest and opportunity among those who have truly not been encouraged to take that next step. It’s how I started my civic involvement here in Lakewood.

I don't think that the first assertion in my sentence can be disputed and, indeed, I am specifically commenting upon the exclusion of a highly qualified candidate by what I have previously described in detail as a flawed appointment process in multiple earlier posts here.

An insider selection process is inherently exclusive in its impacts and beyond the exclusion of Ms. Rodriguez-Carbone, if never reformed, will continue to have exclusionary affects prejudicial to qualified minority applicants.

Outcomes count in public policy as so does process. I see a process long in place that lacks transparency and may prove to be unnecessarily prejudicial to committed citizens and applicants.

I appreciate your sincerity and your public commitment to diversity and inclusion and I do not doubt that.

I am suggesting that City Council must find a better way to ensure transparency in its appointments to public office in order to prevent the appearance of impropriety and minimize the chances for what appear to be exclusionary outcomes.

And, of course, I take the the time here to amplify what Mr. Buckley originally presented

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Mr. Anderson's comment exemplifies exactly the point that Mr. Buckley is asserting.

Mr. Buckley, as well as most of us, knows exactly what City Council is likely to do in filing the open seat. I share his concern.

Mark, and well Mark

I am a huge supporter of Laura Rodriguez Carbone, from day one when we had lunch. Sharp, intelligent, great heart and mind, and understands a massive part of Lakewood that needs understanding and representation, we need her on Council, but she lives in Ward 1. For the record, Kyle Baker brings a lot of what Lakewood needed to the table as well.

As I look back over the many elections I have been here through, I can only remember a handful of candidates that would fall into "diversified" category. Even fewer that would fall into "and qualified" category.

Certainly you two are not suggesting filling a spot with a dash of spice, simply to do it, are you?

I can think of a whole lot of people we should be worried are rising up out of their political graves to get not just an easy appointment, but a vote that can drag all of Lakewood back into the days of secret governments, agendas, and a steam rolling of the residents. Those that prefer secret agendas and cover-ups as their agendas have already applied for the seat.

I would love to see color, and nationalities on Council. Until then, let's keep the FitzGerald/Summers regimes the hell out of City Hall.

Or it was all for naught.

peace

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:49 am

Costa and Anderson

Embarrassing comments.

Shows who you are.

I’m not as eloquent as m buckley but he’s absolutely right.
Lakewood talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:51 am

Distinguished individuals of color have, since my high school days, served on that ultimate public white male bastion--The United States Supreme Court.

I would hope that the endorsed Democrats serving on Lakewood City Council take time to honor the premise that distinguished individuals can be selected for appointment and that such appointment is consistent with Democratic Party ideals embodied in the party since the days of Harry S. Truman.

We must do better.

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:48 pm

My question was sincere and remains unanswered. The color of a person’s skin tells me next to nothing about the actual person.

Instead, my post is labeled for easy dismissal followed by an attack on my moral character.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 pm

David Anderson wrote:My question was sincere and remains unanswered. The color of a person’s skin tells me next to nothing about the actual person.

Instead, my post is labeled for easy dismissal followed by an attack on my moral character.

David

I would say because the answer to your question is obvious. ZERO about the person.

I would underline, that it has been of little success in choosing past leaders.

FWIW,

David and I disagree on many things, and we agree on many things.

But David and the Anderson family put their money where their mouth is when it comes to helping anyone regardless of their backgrounds. I would say the family is truly colorblind, but I have witnessed first hand all of them, especially the kids, celebrating and taking part in a incredibly diverse life, in some of the toughest places in this hemisphere, helping those in need.

This was not a flippant answer or question from David, it came from the heart and decades of experiences.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:02 am

When someone reads the original post by m buckley, then Anderson immediately posts that reply to m buckley, the intention is quite clear. Read it again in context.

I don’t buy the “excuses.”

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 am

Health
Where someone grew up
Education (level of attainment, area of study, employable credential)
Work experience
Interests
Hobbies
Religion or thoughts on religion
Intelligence
Culture
Physical disability or ability (can offer insight as to how someone experiences a shared space/city/school/public transportation)
Language
Socio economic status
Income
Parenthood
Married
Experience with neurological disorders (personal or a family member - bipolar, schizo effective disorder, dementia)
Experience with depression or anxiety (personal or family member)
Values held
Military service
Political orientation
Temperament
Gender identity and expression
Family and upbringing
Exposure to trauma - directly endured or experienced vicariously
Sexual orientation

Is any one of the above any more important than another in determining who a person is and how they might function in life or a particular role? Empirical data is fuzzy on this especially if someone (a potential replacement for Councilmember O’Malley, perhaps) might reflect a number of these all at once, as we all do. What if a potential replacement has an above average IQ, a physical disability/limitation, a history involving trauma, is 70 years of age (potential wisdom and economic stability), history in housing, medical or financial fields, In projecting how someone might function in a particular role, how important is the color of someone’s skin when compared to any of the other 20 or so factors on this list (some overlap-not exhaustive-feel free to add)?

Maybe we can look beyond race and gender (and sexual orientation, which was not brought up in this thread’s initial post but seems to be part of the big three) when discussing diversity? Or we can not and just call someone a racist which is exactly what M. Buckley did to Councilmember O’Malley in another thread.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”