Ward One Election Results Are In

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Ward One Election Results Are In

Postby Bill Call » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:58 am

From the November election. I have only included the two losing candidates that have applied for the vacant ward one seat.

City wide:

Kyle Baker: 3,550
Laura Rodriguez-Carbone: 3,542

Ward One:

Kyle Baker: 1,212
Laura Rodriguez-Carbone: 968

m buckley

Re: Ward One Election Results Are In

Postby m buckley » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Mr. Call, thank you for those numbers. It's important to keep the record straight.

And with that in mind I would point out that when Sarah Kepple was appointed to City Council, as the next "right person" for the open seat, she had never run for elected office. Had never garnered even a single vote from anyone, in any ward in Lakewood. Cleveland.com described her as a "political newcomer". Yet she was selected over a candidate who had run and received votes. So apparently vote count wasn't the deciding factor (or any factor?) at that time.

I would add that looking at those numbers, I can't help but wonder ...

What if Council President Dan O'Malley hadn't endorsed exclusively white candidates in last November's council election (one of them being Kyle Baker)? What if The Lakewood Democratic Club hadn't endorsed exclusively white women in elections last November? What if there had been a committed effort by the 'powers that be' to support inclusion and diversity on city council? Those numbers you posted today might read differently.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 am

m buckley wrote:What if Council President Dan O'Malley hadn't endorsed exclusively white candidates in last November's council election (one of them being Kyle Baker)? What if The Lakewood Democratic Club hadn't endorsed exclusively white women in elections last November? What if there had been a committed effort by the 'powers that be' to support inclusion and diversity on city council? Those numbers you posted today might read differently.

Mayor George endorsed Mark Schneider for council and actively campaigned for him. He got 2,301 votes.

Kyle Baker: 3,550
Laura Rodriguez-Carbone: 3,542

Ward One:

Kyle Baker: 1,212
Laura Rodriguez-Carbone: 968

The voters in Ward one made a clear choice. Will it matter?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:29 pm

I'd Love Some Clarity

If this meeting was held virtually and Ohio has ended its exemption to the Ohio Open Meeting Laws permitting virtual sessions, how is the subsequent appointment of a candidate going to be a valid act of Lakewood City Council?

Pages from DOC-01-18-22.jpg
Pages from DOC-01-18-22.jpg (232.27 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”