Marine Towers Garage Collapse Update.

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Marine Towers Garage Collapse Update.

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:22 pm

I am breaking this thread up, as more news and information comes in it matters.

I will also be breaking The Marine Towers West And Marine Towers East into two threads as they are somewhat different stories.

Marine Towers West is still an apartment building with singular managements and very few issues. Marine Tower East is resident owned and having issues. I am sorry I blended the issue in my first update.

Example I spoke with three residents while I was there and showed them photos from Marine Towers East garage and all said they knew of nothing like that ever at Marine Towers West. The management and owner has a rock solid reputation.

Mayor Meghan George stops back down at the scene of the collapse with coffee for the responders and an update from Fire Chief Tim Dunphy.

I had a chance to speak with the Mayor, and she told me, "Jim we are going to concentrate on what happened here, and find out why." When mentioned the the problems with the other building she pointed out, complete different buildings. Marine Towers West has its own management and has been a very good land owner." With that she went off to talk with the media.

As I mentioned I was speaking with people that lived in the building and one of the things they mentioned was early last year they had all the dirt and grass dug up on the roof, repairs made, and replanted. There were crews working the garage today as well.

You can see Engineers going through the basement of the eastern garage.

They come out of the building.

You can see the dirt and grass that was above the garage.

Residents from Marine Towers East looking down on the action.

So for a quick wrap: Around 10:02am the roof collapsed. Some residents heard a bang, some heard nothing but felt a shudder.

Police and Fire were on the scene within minutes. Residents were amazed how fast they were there. Fire and rescue crews came from all over Northern Ohio.

There was a crew working in the garage, that may or may not have been legally permitted, and they all accounted for and being questioned.

By 1:30pm all residents and people that might have been in the garage was accounted for.

The buildings were recently inspected. After the Florida June 24 collapse happened Ward 4 Councilman met with Mayor George to make sure our Gold Coast and apartment buildings were checked. They were informed inspections for this year had already begun. It is believed both buildings were inspected.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”