Council Grandstands On Recent Crimes

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Council Grandstands On Recent Crimes

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am

Lakewood City Council has decided to grandstand on the crime issue. Will use it to get votes in fall.

The last three crimes of shootings could not have been stopped by Council, or the police. So why grandstand on it?

Actually, the answers to all of this is easy to understand, and something I wrote about 8 years ago, and something Lakewood went through 15 years ago.

Lakewood and it last two administrations and councils including this one were set on ending Lakewood a great place to live and raise kids to a party/destination town.

Working overtime to destroy things that matter to families, safety, secure neighborhoods, fully staffed departments, they decided to spend all their efforts and $$$$ attracting more people to Lakewood. Not to live, but to drink and party.

Now let's look at some facts...

When you increase the number of people in any area, so to increases the chances for crime and problems.

When you increase the number of businesses and shoppers, you increase the chance for crime.

Simple numbers and the human race.

Now Lakewood adds alcohol, partying and a party town reputation and you start to attract good fun people, and those willing to pray on them. Drunks make great targets for robbery and rape. This was born out 3 times in the Flats. As the Flats became more popular so did the crowds, and in came the crime and trouble. Soon Flats colsed down, then it all started again. This has gone on three times and is now in the middle of a fourth, which will not end well.

More facts about the area and crime. This past year we fell below Detroit as the poorest large city in America. With poor people come desperation. Add in massive law offs and the frustrations of being locked up in our homes, and it starts to head in the wrong direction. Would a criminal prefer a drunk target or a family on their front porch?

These are the choices City Council have forced on us. First sitting silent as our largest and weakest anchor and employer was paid to leave. Then systematically increasing bar occupancy, and seating. Also we have many commercial ventures bleeding into what were once quiet neighborhoods. Bringing people with no investment in the community into more chances to commit mischief.

Now I wish this wasn't the way but in 2005 the problem was so bad in Lakewood that then Councilman Kevin Butler had a safety meeting with neighbors in Ward 1. They were willing to take matters into their own hands to keep themselves safe. Sitting on porches with guns and baseball bats waiting for troublemakers. This was a nightmare.

Finally it was pointed out to the bar owners that Ward 1 could vote their ward Dry. Actually the entire city could vote themselves dry, and at any level.

Last week bars were reminded of that fact. Lakewood like the Flats lives in a cycle too.

Lakewood City Council needs to get their priorities straight and doing meaningful things. I truly doubt that the two Council members that never raised their voices during the largest heist in Lakewood history, and actually worked to cover it up will come up with anything more than grandstanding for their runs to reelection.

They grandstand on three crimes that started in other cities and were ended her. While ignoring the drunk driver that was drinking in Lakewood and killed two of our brightest young stars. Something they actually could have an impact on. If that is not grandstanding tell me what is?

FLUSH COUNCIL, time to start over.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Council Grandstands On Recent Crimes

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am

This is to show you what grandstanding on crime looks like...

This was Councilman Ryan Demro after a shooting behind Rozi's about 10 years ago.

Ryan who was eyeing a run for Mayor, came out against the shooting and complained the Mayor had not done enough.

The crime? A young man owed his dealer a couple hundred dollars. When the dealer tracked him down, the young man gave him the finger and yelled "catch me asshole" and took off on his BMX bike. The dealer in a SUV tracked him down within a block and empties his gun into him.

How was Council or the Mayor going to stop this? The dealer was from outside the city.

Crime is a problem, as is public safety, but grandstanding for votes is bullshit.

I see at least 4 on Council desperate to run for Mayor.

Many of the Council people the same ones that played you during the Hospital Debacle.

Don't get played again.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 pm

When you speak out against crime, it's easy. Everybody praises you; nobody sues you.

When you speak out against local corruption, look out. Harsh criticism will follow from the fellow travelers, lawsuits will follow, in the past administration you might find a henchman stalking you, and you'll be lucky if voters acknowledge you. It takes guts.

We all need to feel safer right now. There must be immediate action. Not just words.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:11 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:When you speak out against crime, it's easy. Everybody praises you; nobody sues you.

When you speak out against local corruption, look out. Harsh criticism will follow from the fellow travelers, lawsuits will follow, in the past administration you might find a henchman stalking you, and you'll be lucky if voters acknowledge you. It takes guts.

We all need to feel safer right now. There must be immediate action. Not just words.

Dan

First, grandstanding against crime is the lowest bar in politics. The kindergarten of politics. The safe play area.

Speaking out against crime is a no-brainer, speaking of no-brainer how does Council stop car jackings in East Cleveland ending up in Lakewood?

One day the young Councilman pictured above and came to my door campaigning for Council at Large. He told me all sorts of stuff about crime, then I asked "What are you going to do to stop Global Warming as Councilman" He proceeded to go into details. No mention of green buildings, no mention of anything that would reduce anything within the very very limited power of a councilman.

All hot air.

Right now we have two Council people grandstanding on crime. One though deeply involved on all sides of the hospital deal NEVER SPOKE or gave answers to residents about all the lies and basically the theft of the hospital. Now he finds a voice. The other carries a grandstand with him so it is not surprise he is speaking of crime, though he never did a single things but help in the destruction and theft of the hospital.

And yes curses of all curses, it is election season already. Campaigns begin, politicians in this town and other towns have no issue burning the town to the ground with over the top claims that destroy the value, and the safety of the community. How? Houses are flipping like crazy. When a citizen bitches about crime it goes into the internet vapor world. When the politician makes the claims, the media prints it and re-posts it. Even if it is bullshit over the top grandstanding. People looking at the area decide to not buy. Then on the other side of the equation the criminal hears of a hot zone and knows the police are busy, and there must be problems in policing, let's check it out.

All for the sake of scaring up a couple votes.

NOW, if Council was serious they would buckle down and go about their business and FIX THE PROBLEM.

Talk is cheaper, and in election season it is even cheaper in the city that makes lying politicians heroes.

Going to be a long year.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”