STATEMENT: Lakewood Mayor Meghan George Issues Statement Regarding Passage of Stand Your Ground Law in Ohio

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

STATEMENT: Lakewood Mayor Meghan George Issues Statement Regarding Passage of Stand Your Ground Law in Ohio

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 am

City of Lakewood Mayor Meghan George released the following statement:
“As of midnight on April 6th, 2021, the controversial Ohio Duty to Retreat Act, better known as ‘Stand Your Ground’, became law. I have many concerns on this topic, but first I want to thank Lakewood’s State Representative Michael Skindell and State Senator Nickie Antonio for expressing their own apprehensions and opposing this irresponsible legislation. Despite being touted as an answer to community gun violence, the Ohio Duty to Retreat Act is a blatant attack on the safety of our communities across Ohio.

“I have discussed this issue at length with the Lakewood Police Department and share their disappointment in our state government. Chief Kaucheck’s greatest concern is the special interests who supported this legislation are deliberately confusing fear with safety and the result is a volatile mixture that will lead to more gun violence, not less. Before Stand Your Ground went into effect this week, Ohioans had the right not to retreat when confronted with imminent harm while in their own homes or cars--places where a threat to personal security is unlikely to be resolved by retreating. Under the new law, Ohioans now have broader rights to use deadly force when confronted with a violent situation in public spaces.

“While the troubling trend of new Stand Your Ground laws like Ohio’s continues across the United States, research has shown that these laws do little to stop violent, gun-related incidents and disproportionately affect communities of color. This creates yet another gap in a criminal justice system that already works against minorities. This law will also undoubtedly make deadly violence more probable and acceptable, as the law removes the obligation of retreat or de-escalation and sets a standard for decreased scrutiny when investigating gun-related crimes.

“The negative impact this law will have on communities cannot be overstated. Granting the right to lean into violent confrontations will inevitably make our streets more confrontational, not less, and gun violence will increase across Ohio. Here in Lakewood, we have recently seen our incidents of criminal gun activity, and, as we do everything in our power to address these unusual occurrences, we will now have another obstacle to maneuver in the continual fight against gun violence.

“I want to reassure Lakewoodites that our voices will continue to be heard on this topic. I am encouraged by efforts from our lawmakers to repeal this reckless law. My administration continues to take the steps necessary to maintain a safe and secure community for all of Lakewood’s residents, visitors, and workers. I urge all Lakewoodites to talk to your neighbors about this issue and advocate for common-sense gun control legislation from our state government. This is a serious concern, but I expect that it will be temporary and, with our advocacy, better judgment and legislation will prevail.”

###

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Re: STATEMENT: Lakewood Mayor Meghan George Issues Statement Regarding Passage of Stand Your Ground Law in Ohio

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 pm

This is very good. I'm not real knowledgeable about gun laws in general, but agree something - anything - has to be done to control and reduce the number of guns in our midst.

It's good to hear our local representatives speaking so boldly on the big issues of our day.

BUT - where were they on the smaller local issues impacting all of us? Specifically the many health-care issues that have arisen in the last decade. For instance, calling for compensation for all that was lost in the hospital debacle. There were some dirty deeds that no one has accounted for. What about a municipal health commission? How about a more assertive response to the pandemic other than sidewalk dining? How about earlier and stronger crackdowns on bars that allowed large unmasked crowds?

Looking forward, how about a health facility at St. Charles and Detroit that serves the needs of more Lakewood taxpayers? Currently the big Cleveland Clinic facility does little for me as I use Metro for all health-care needs.

It may be easier for local "progressives" to speak forcefully on the big issues, but it's my view that they have more important things on their plate.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Re: STATEMENT: Lakewood Mayor Meghan George Issues Statement Regarding Passage of Stand Your Ground Law in Ohio

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 pm

I need to see some affirmative progress on issues that are important to me and other citizens: 1.) ethics-in-government, 2.) endless transfers of public property to private interests, and 3.) the misguided expansion of liquor service onto our sidewalks and streets.

In fact, I am looking for opportunities to acknowledge progress and improvement in Lakewood. I want to write about that. The other matters that I write about here counter-balance any supposed 2020 "positives".

Bees. ---Really . . .bees? ...You have to be kidding me.

Rather than expand and fund more digital surveillance cameras as currently planned, I have made reasoned and sound arguments that Lakewood should join with the other 25 Ohio cities that have health departments and reboot ours.

That suggestion was definitively shot-down by the Mayor on November 9th in the HHS Committee meeting.

Expanded outdoor dining on public side sidewalks and rights of ways (parking zones) will be expanded until December 31, 2022.

Then, trust me, it will be made permanent!

How much public geography and terrain do holders of liquor licenses need in Lakewood? When is enough, enough?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:49 pm

To avoid confusion, please let me clarify.

The expansion of digital surveillance cameras is entirely unrelated to rebooting the health department.

My point is simple.

We have been bluntly told that we cannot afford to reboot the health department.

But evidently there will be sufficient funds to expand the use of the digital surveillance camera system.

In 2020, we desperately needed the functional equivalent of a local health department. In 2021, we probably still need that.

As I have written elsewhere, this is not going to happen.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:51 am

Mark Kindt wrote:To avoid confusion, please let me clarify.

The expansion of digital surveillance cameras is entirely unrelated to rebooting the health department.

My point is simple.

We have been bluntly told that we cannot afford to reboot the health department.

But evidently there will be sufficient funds to expand the use of the digital surveillance camera system.

In 2020, we desperately needed the functional equivalent of a local health department. In 2021, we probably still need that.

As I have written elsewhere, this is not going to happen.

Instead we granted developers $9,000,000 in tax relief.

See my point?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”