Gunshots in parking lot of Game On last night

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Leo Wetula

Gunshots in parking lot of Game On last night

Postby Leo Wetula » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:32 pm

Last night there was a large brawl (from the sound of it----I didn't dare go out to see) in the parking lot of Game On and three rounds of multiple gunshots each. About five or six Lakewood police cars arrived a few minutes later. Officers walked along the side of my house to check if it had been hit and knocked on doors to make sure folks were OK. Is this how we have to live now in Lakewood, wondering whether we will get shot in our houses? This is what happens when our leaders or former leaders encourage uncontrolled growth in trashy bars adjacent to residential neighborhoods. And for what? How many (good) jobs and how much in terms of tax revenue is this generating for the City of Lakewood? I would guess very little. Has anyone ever heard of opportunity cost? When will business owners be held accountable? Truly sick.... I have an idea. How about figure out a way to tax these establishments to pay for the costs of responding to these incidents and for planting squad cars on the corners in Lakewood's "entertainment district"?

Mark Kindt

Re: Gunshots in parking lot of Game On last night

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:50 pm

I will note my opinion for what it is worth.

I'm giving-up on tact.

The businesses that hold Ohio liquor licenses and operate in Lakewood exacerbated pandemic conditions in Lakewood and are still exacerbating those conditions.

Perhaps even worse, they have encouraged and benefitted from misguided city legislation that has transferred the use-value of public sidewalks and other rights-of-way to their own private economic benefit.

I can always be reached at (216) 521-6024 during business hours.

Leo Wetula

Postby Leo Wetula » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Round Two: Several police cars in front of my house right now arresting a guy who was chasing a couple around with a large knife. The victims came to my porch for refuge. Police got here quickly thank God. Welcome to western Lakewood!

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:51 pm

CNN reports that crime in US cities is up 33%:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/us/us-cr ... index.html

Unfortunately, Lakewood is not immune to this. Things have seen particularly bad this past couple of weeks.

The end to this pandemic cannot come soon enough.

Leo Wetula

Postby Leo Wetula » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm

For those of us living near these bars, this has been going on for about 20 years. We actually had a public hearing about this issue at Lakewood City Hall about 20 years ago. Then the Great Recession hit and things improved for a while.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”