District Names Dr. Christine Palumbo For Asst. Superintendent

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

District Names Dr. Christine Palumbo For Asst. Superintendent

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Dr. Christine Palumbo

The Lakewood Board of Education at a special meeting March 31 approved Lakewood City Schools Director of Teaching and Learning, Dr. Christine Palumbo, as the District’s next Assistant Superintendent effective August 1, 2021. Palumbo will replace Maggie Niedzwiecki, who in February was named the successor to departing Superintendent Mike Barnes.

Palumbo brings a wealth of administrative and teaching experience to her new position. She Palumbo spent her first 14 years as an educator with the Lakewood City Schools as a special education teacher and coordinator for special education services. In 2006, Palumbo moved on to become North Ridgeville City Schools’ Supervisor of Special Education and eventually Director of Special Education and Family Services for the Region State Support Team. She returned to Lakewood City Schools as the Director of Student Services in 2011. Palumbo stepped into her current role as Director of Teaching and Learning in 2016.

“Dr. Palumbo brings a wealth of leadership experience across a number of areas and during her long history with the Lakewood Schools she has exhibited an absolute devotion to protecting and nurturing all of our students,” said Board President Betsy Shaughnessy. “She and future Superintendent Niedzwiecki will be an excellent team and will be able to hit the ground running in providing for our students, staff and families. We are very fortunate to have her in this very important role.”

Palumbo holds a Ph.D. in Urban Education and a master’s in Curriculum and Instruction from Cleveland State University. She earned her undergraduate degree in Elementary Education from John Carroll University, where she is a member of the Athletic Hall of Fame due to her diving accomplishments.

Palumbo is thrilled to be able to continue her career in a district that holds a special place in her heart.

“While I was not born in Lakewood I feel that in many ways my life began in The Lakewood City Schools,” said Palumbo. “It is where I met my husband through coaching duties, where his children attended and where our grandchildren attended and currently attend.”

“I am so thankful to the Board of Education for hiring me all those years ago and for putting their faith in me over the years. I am honored and thrilled to embark on this next journey with LCS as Assistant Superintendent. Lakewood is an incredibly special place made so by the students and families we serve and the passion with which we serve them. I look forward to all of us continuing to grow and learn together!”

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”