LO_17_06 On The Streets - Prom, Vaccines, Shooting, Charges

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

LO_17_06 On The Streets - Prom, Vaccines, Shooting, Charges

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 am

The driver that killed the boys is charged with...

From the Cuyahoga County Persecutor's Office...

Cleveland Woman Indicted for Drunk-Driving Crash That Killed Two Lakewood Teenagers
3/16/2021

CLEVELAND –
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley announced that a grand jury has returned an indictment charging Selena Colon, 23, for a drunk-driving crash that killed two 19-year-olds in Lakewood last month.

“Ms. Colon was drunk-driving over 90 mph in a 35 mph zone. This resulted in the death of two wonderful friends and their families left in total anguish,” said Prosecutor O’Malley. “She will be held accountable.”

On February 21, 2021, Colon was driving eastbound on Clifton Avenue when she crashed into the victims’ car as they were turning westbound onto Clifton from Fry Avenue. Lakewood Police and Emergency Medical Services, along with the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office and Ohio State Highway Patrol, responded to the scene and processed it for evidence. The impact split the victims’ car in half and caused two victims to be ejected from the vehicle. Both of those victims were pronounced deceased at the scene. A third victim, 18, was transported to a nearby hospital and treated for his injuries. Colon was arrested and later transported to the Cuyahoga County Jail.

The investigation revealed that Colon was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash, did not have her headlights on, and was driving at speeds that exceeded 90 miles per hour just before impact.

Colon has been indicted on the following charges:
Four counts of Aggravated Vehicular Homicide
(1 count Aggravated Vehicular Homicide, and 1 count Aggravated Vehicular Homicide While Impaired)
This was explained the the Prosecutor's Office, and has been done in the past with a case in Beachwood a couple years ago.
Another way to look at this it is like using a gun in a connection with a crime. Often the person is charged with the crime and the crime with a gun.

Two counts of Aggravated Vehicular Assault
One count of Driving While Under the Influence

She will be arraigned at the Cuyahoga County Justice Center at a later date.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
jkocinski

Re: LO_17_06 On The Streets - Prom, Vaccines, Shooting, Charges

Postby jkocinski » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:28 am

What is very sad here is the the penalty in Ohio for aggravated vehicular homicide, which is the most serious charge here is 2 to 8 years. Two very young and very good boys lives were lost and in my opinion, even the max of 8 years is not enough considering the circumstances here. I see the Grand Jury has charged 4 counts here but what will this be reduced to? If the max you can get for getting drunk, jumping in you car, and driving 90 down Clifton until you kill 2 people, is 8 years in prison, then I feel there is something very wrong with the system.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:42 am

jkocinski wrote:What is very sad here is the the penalty in Ohio for aggravated vehicular homicide, which is the most serious charge here is 2 to 8 years. Two very young and very good boys lives were lost and in my opinion, even the max of 8 years is not enough considering the circumstances here. I see the Grand Jury has charged 4 counts here but what will this be reduced to? If the max you can get for getting drunk, jumping in you car, and driving 90 down Clifton until you kill 2 people, is 8 years in prison, then I feel there is something very wrong with the system.

John I hear you. Thanks for the post.

The Prosecutor's Office is working on the best possible outcome for the families. People in the office are outraged over this case.

I believe it is over 40 years total possible if served consecutively.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

jkocinski

Postby jkocinski » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:52 am

Yes my friend, you are correct. When was the last time you saw a consecutive sentence or one that wasn't pled down to "avoid the cost of a trial". Please forgive my pessimism here but this one should be cut no breaks whatsoever.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:47 am

jkocinski wrote:Yes my friend, you are correct. When was the last time you saw a consecutive sentence or one that wasn't pled down to "avoid the cost of a trial". Please forgive my pessimism here but this one should be cut no breaks whatsoever.

Well, she has hired the best most connected lawyer in Ohio, Lakewoodite Kevin Spellacy.

I fear you may be correct my friend.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 am

Did I miss the link to this issue?

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”