Today's Snow Please Be Careful

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Today's Snow Please Be Careful

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am

While we hand it to Gary Rice for the one shovel wide song and mention, sometimes that is too much an today is one of those days.
See this link: http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26201

Do not misread what I am saying, you still need to shovel your walk. I would say one shovel wide is a minimum, as it does not take into account, handicapped, dogs, elderly that need a little more space, people walking dogs etc.

Personally I have always believed that one of the pleasures of owning a house is the yards and walks, and if you play it smart, it is not hard to do.

First thing establish the weight of the snow. This is something I do clearing the steps. Steps clear easily, and you can judge, wet and heavy, fluffy? This will be the 2nd most important decision you make in clearing your walks.

Now get yourself a shovel designed for pushing. Two reason, we are going to push some snow, and shovel some snow. A thought I have shoveling in the back of my mind is hurry and get it down. Always the wrong thought process. So things like small scoop shovels actually make the entire job easier.

First thing you do is push, not shovel a pathway at the edge of the walk, or in the middle. I have found the edge easier to follow than the middle. But if it is a heavy snow the middle might be easier for later in the removal process.

Push the shovel emptying it or moving it to the side when it overfills. Continue for the length of the side walk.

Now go back remembering how heavy the snow was with the steps, and the pushing. A step is about a half of shovel width. Push back while pushing is like a full shovel. So decide how big is the job and what you can comfortably move for twice the distance.

Today at 8" with a heavier than normal base, I chose about 1/3rd of a shovel. This allows me to move snow quickly, easily out of the way. Very little stress on the back, the heart and the mind. Take you time there is no race. The longer it takes the warmer you will get. Keep that in mind while shoveling.

When dealing with heavy ice, large piles of ice or heavy snow. Take small shovels. It allows you to work faster, easier and in the long run better.

Relax shoveling snow can be a complete beautiful Zen experience. In front of you cold, danger and chaos, behind you smooth, tranquility and order.

The final tip is...

Hay great neighbors. Here Joe comes over with his snow blower to help with the walks. There is no kinder act of love and respect for a neighbor than shoveling their walks. When the snow is light, I try to do at least two in each direction. This prepares you for the heavy snow days. But thanks to neighbors like Joe, Chuck and the mysterious "Snowblower Man" from blocks away, we get at least one shovel wide done..

Be safe shoveling, and snow blowing, but please shovel and clear your walks.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”