HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm

Again, I make the very simple point that the HHS Committee has not posted any meeting minutes since July 2020.

Virtual meetings are not public meetings, even under the legislative dispensation, if they are NOT held.

I remain disappointed that the HHS Committee cannot post timely minutes for those rare meetings that actually are held.

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Again, I make the very simple point that the HHS Committee has not posted any meeting minutes since July 2020.

Virtual meetings are not public meetings, even under the legislative dispensation, if they are NOT held.

I remain disappointed that the HHS Committee cannot post timely minutes for those rare meetings that actually are held.

Mark FYI the city is posting Coronavirus-related updates to the website every few days - click here for the COVID-dedicated page: http://www.onelakewood.com/coronavirus/

As far as the HHS committee, I believe minutes of all meetings held to date are online. I will confirm

Dan O'Malley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 am

Dan, I appreciate your post. I do check the City website on a regular basis. Be well. Stay safe.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:20 am

Dan OMalley wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:Again, I make the very simple point that the HHS Committee has not posted any meeting minutes since July 2020.

Mark FYI the city is posting Coronavirus-related updates to the website every few days - click here for the COVID-dedicated page: http://www.onelakewood.com/coronavirus/

As far as the HHS committee, I believe minutes of all meetings held to date are online. I will confirm

Dan

Those are state numbers not city or county numbers and seem to be trailing by about a week when I looked.

February/March supposed to be crazy as new strain becomes dominant strain, spreading easier. Also new Brazilian strain not looking good. (Trump just opened door to Brazilian travel on his second to last day!)

Thanks for the note, the link and the hard work.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm

For Reference -- HHS Committee Minutes from Six Months Ago

Please take the time to read. Important stuff. Then and now.

minhhs-07-27-20.pdf
(269.71 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am

I'm sure many may view my concerns here as trivial; however, since the July HHS Committee meeting there have been incredible developments in the world of Health and Human Safety where open pubic discussion is fully warranted, but seems to be neglected by the HHS Committee:

1. We are under two separate mask orders (local & state);

2. A pandemic of historic scale has made Lakewood one the most impacted cities in both the County and the State (and it still is);

3. We have chosen to make pandemic outdoor "dining" a semi-permanent feature of our city's sidewalks and streets (an immense transfer of public asset value);

4. Teachers and children can't attend school safely;

5. Some local bars function in violation of pandemic restrictions; others are just super-spreader venues;

6. Actual open "public" meetings cannot be held or are not being held ("zoom government");

I write this with full awareness that public officials have their hands full; but I remained chagrined about the situation, and I was surprised to learn that only one HHS Committee meeting has been held since last July.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:I'm sure many may view my concerns here as trivial; however, since the July HHS Committee meeting there have been incredible developments in the world of Health and Human Safety where open pubic discussion is fully warranted, but seems to be neglected by the HHS Committee:

2. A pandemic of historic scale has made Lakewood one the most impacted cities in both the County and the State (and it still is);

3. We have chosen to make pandemic outdoor "dining" a semi-permanent feature of our city's sidewalks and streets (an immense transfer of public asset value);

5. Some local bars function in violation of pandemic restrictions; others are just super-spreader venues;

6. Actual open "public" meetings cannot be held or are not being held ("zoom government");

I write this with full awareness that public officials have their hands full; but I remained chagrined about the situation, and I was surprised to learn that only one HHS Committee meeting has been held since last July.

Mark

Not to argue the point but what chance does council have? Do you think they can really wrap their heads around what is going on?

While they like to say they are Ds, they act more like Rs when it comes to the residents. We suffer at the hands people that still think Detroit and Madison are what Lakewood does. ZERO thought about how they could cash in right now. FREE Wideband while everyone is stuck at home, other cities are moving towards FREE home deliver to help restaurants stay in business. Something suggested here 8 months ago! It is working, here in Lakewood, your can drink on the sidewalks barely enough to walk on and huddle in plastic tents. As long as you are drinking.

The results of those shunning science, one of the worst cities in the state for COVID, most spread, and financial destruction.

Have another drink it will make you feel better.

"Kids playing with Uzis." Idi Amin

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:I'm sure many may view my concerns here as trivial; however, since the July HHS Committee meeting there have been incredible developments in the world of Health and Human Safety where open pubic discussion is fully warranted, but seems to be neglected by the HHS Committee:

If anyone has any information on what the HHS Committee is doing, I would appreciate an update.

The last meeting of the HHS Committee was 3 months ago. No minutes for that meeting were ever posted.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Minutes Have Been Posted

Please take a look at the Minutes of the HHS Committee meeting on November 9th.
Attachments
minhhs-11-09-20.pdf
(52.84 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Minutes Have Been Posted

Bested described as a circle jerk with people that should not be allowed to speak on the health of the city.

Nearly everyone in this discussion voted to back the group or was part of the group closing the hospital, and destroying health care in Lakewood.

The only two that were not intimately involved, one had the backing of the king of that project.

The comment about how much the Health Department costs is BS. Yes if we look at the final days of the health department. But everyone knows who has followed Lakewood government that Dodttie Buckon had grown the department to be much larger than it needed to be.. This would be the main reason Mayor FitzGerald with the help of Summers, and Bullock closed it down. A feeble attempt to not raise taxes in an election year. PERIOD

Most of what the CCBH rep brought forward has been written about for months.

ZERO talk of variations, zero talk of a strategy.

Lakewood City Council strategy is, "Way over our heads, let's delegate to the worst group in the state handling this, and we can blame it all on them."

City Council, have another drink...

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:

Bested described as a circle jerk with people that should not be allowed to speak on the health of the city.

Nearly everyone in this discussion voted to back the group or was part of the group closing the hospital, and destroying health care in Lakewood.

The only two that were not intimately involved, one had the backing of the king of that project.

The comment about how much the Health Department costs is BS. Yes if we look at the final days of the health department. But everyone knows who has followed Lakewood government that Dodttie Buckon had grown the department to be much larger than it needed to be.. This would be the main reason Mayor FitzGerald with the help of Summers, and Bullock closed it down. A feeble attempt to not raise taxes in an election year. PERIOD

Lakewood City Council strategy is, "Way over our heads, let's delegate to the worst group in the state handling this, and we can blame it all on them."

As far as I can determine, five months later there are no meetings scheduled for this committee. Still zero talk. Still zero planning.

I will make this observation again for those who may have missed it.

When you dismantle government infrastructure, it won't be there when you really need it.

Instead, the City will move forward with the former Mayor's plan to construct high-end housing, office space, and retail on the site of the Hospital that these folks demolished.

It's deja vu, all over again.

cmager

Postby cmager » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Best described as a circle jerk with people that should not be allowed to speak on the health of the city. Nearly everyone in this discussion voted to back the group or was part of the group closing the hospital, and destroying health care in Lakewood.

The comment about how much the Health Department costs is BS. Yes if we look at the final days of the health department. But everyone knows who has followed Lakewood government that Dottie Buckon had grown the department to be much larger than it needed to be. This would be the main reason Mayor FitzGerald with the help of Summers, and Bullock closed it down. A feeble attempt to not raise taxes in an election year. PERIOD

Most of what the CCBH rep brought forward has been written about for months. ZERO talk of variations, zero talk of a strategy.
Lakewood City Council strategy is, "Way over our heads, let's delegate to the worst group in the state handling this, and we can blame it all on them." City Council, have another drink...

Feel free to never again re-elect, to never again patronize, and to shun those who led or supported the theft of LH.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm

No Meetings So Far In 2021

In a city of 50,000 residents with known vulnerable populations, our local public officials have made available 200 vaccination appointments.

As far as I can determine the HHS Committee has NOT met since November 9th.

Here is a link to the HHS Committee's webpage.

http://www.onelakewood.com/accordions/h ... e-minutes/

Ironically, the Chairman of the committee is quoted today in Crain's Cleveland Business on leadership.

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:

As far as I can determine, five months later there are no meetings scheduled for this committee. Still zero talk. Still zero planning.

I will make this observation again for those who may have missed it.

When you dismantle government infrastructure, it won't be there when you really need it.

Instead, the City will move forward with the former Mayor's plan to construct high-end housing, office space, and retail on the site of the Hospital that these folks demolished.

It's deja vu, all over again.

Years later and zero accountability. The loss of our community hospital is Lakewood’s version of NAFTA. Manufacturing decimated and replaced by service sector jobs. Promises made/promises broken by politicians with an eye on moving up the political ladder.

This is modern day Lakewood where inequality widens, public health suffers, and 1500 jobs are lost.

Remember folks “healthcare is changing”. Meanwhile, national healthcare expenditures increase year over year and Warehouses boom as e-commerce giants spread across the country.

What is the vision of the city? Retail shopping, high-end housing, and office space.

Think bigger...

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”