Walking The Talk

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Walking The Talk

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm

The expanded outdoor dining legislation is no longer defensible on any grounds. It must be repealed.

Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_1.jpg
Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_1.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 9463 times

Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_2.jpg
Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_2.jpg (261.34 KiB) Viewed 9463 times

Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_3.jpg
Letter to Mayor and City Council June 24 - 2020_Page_3.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 9463 times

Mark Kindt

Re: Walking The Talk

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Conditions Have Radically Changed Since Outdoor Dining Was Expanded

Graph Posted by Mike DeWine 6-25-2020.jpg
Graph Posted by Mike DeWine 6-25-2020.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 9449 times

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

I agree, Mr Kindt.

While it initially appeared that the outdoor dining expansion might be “doable,” the recent explosion in cases in Ohio, including from LOCAL establishments, prompts a re-examination.

I personally know of an outbreak of Covid among almost 10 20-somethings after a night partying in a popular Lakewood bar. I’ve also heard second hand of another similar case.

Young people aren’t social distancing in the bars, they are contracting and spreading the virus.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm

It is apparent that moral risk and fiduciary risk meet on this issue and good citizenship requires an immediate repeal of this outdoor dining. This can easily be revisited at a later, calmer date.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 am

Why Did I Write And Post This Letter?

In what is obviously a growing and national pandemic, the City of Lakewood, its Planning Department and its Planning Commission should not be using public property (sidewalks/streets/parklets) for any purpose that might risk, facilitate or exacerbate the contagion of Covid-19 to any resident or visitor, particularly via bars and dining establishments.

So Who Am I?

I am a third-generation Democrat. My grandfather voted for FDR in 1932. My father met JFK, Jimmy Carter, and then-Senator Barrack Obama. He was also a close person friend of U.S. Senators Metzenbaum and Brown.

I got my degree in Government in 1976. I got my law degree in 1979. I’ve worked in official public capacities in three States (Oh., WV., Va.) and in major official Federal positions at the DOJ and the FTC.

I have practiced law for more than 40 years and handle cases in several states other than Ohio.

My wife and I have owned our home in Ward 1 for 25 years. We have both lived in Lakewood for decades. My modest environmental law practice is located in Ward 2.

Many of you know me personally from conversations at The Root Café.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am

--ZIP -- ZILCH -- NADA -- NOTHING--

Are we wasting our time as citizens here?

I do understand that folks on City Council have full time jobs. I get that. As a citizen, I have done my duty. For the time being, I will leave it at that.

This is my experience, yours may be better.

Responsiveness Spreadsheet.jpg
Responsiveness Spreadsheet.jpg (147.86 KiB) Viewed 9234 times

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am

I may have overlooked it but did the letter have an actual request for a response? Reading it, it was definitely informative and full of good points (that I definitely do not disagree with) but I didn't see an ask or a call for response from the addressees. Again, I may have not seen it but I don't think it is really fair to criticize any of them for not responding if there was not an actual request for a response. JMHO

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Yes, I am still waiting for a response.

In my profession, at a minimum, a courtesy response would be normal.

I have raised serious issues in a thoughtful and courteous manner. --I did expect the courtesy of a return response via a simple email.

While I disagree with Council-Member Shachner's agenda, I do appreciate his courteous response.

Oh, well.

I hope that you, your friends, and your family are safe.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:10 pm

Mr. Kindt--Your qualifications were never in question due to the precision of your arguments. Continue as a benchmark even if there is a temporary absence in the civic dialogue on the part of civic dialogues.
Stan Austin

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Thank you, Mr. Austin! Your earlier comment provides an easy path forward. See next post.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Thank you, Mr. Austin! Your earlier comment provides an easy path forward. See next post.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:02 pm

We Need A Moratorium On Outdoor Dining On Public Property Now!

Why?

1. Neither residents, visitors, businesses, nor employees should be placed in jeopardy on public property in terms of Covid-19 contagion or legal liability risks.

2. A Moratorium is now justified by the significant increases in Ohio and Cuyahoga County Covid-19 cases since June 15th that may likely continue to increase in coming weeks.

3. A Moratorium is now justified because the City of Lakewood is not prepared to or cannot enforce federal or state guidelines related to masks or social distancing.

4. A Moratorium is now justified because the City of Lakewood lacks timely and/or accurate data sufficient to support the safe expansion of outdoor dining onto public property for residents or visitors to Lakewood.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:We Need A Moratorium On Outdoor Dining On Public Property Now!

Why?

1. Neither residents, visitors, businesses, nor employees should be placed in jeopardy on public property in terms of Covid-19 contagion or legal liability risks.

2. A Moratorium is now justified by the significant increases in Ohio and Cuyahoga County Covid-19 cases since June 15th that may likely continue to increase in coming weeks.

3. A Moratorium is now justified because the City of Lakewood is not prepared to or cannot enforce federal or state guidelines related to masks or social distancing.

4. A Moratorium is now justified because the City of Lakewood lacks timely and/or accurate data sufficient to support the safe expansion of outdoor dining onto public property for residents or visitors to Lakewood.

Mr. Kindt is correct.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 am

With respect to my letter to City Hall of June 24th, I have had email responses from Shachner, Neff, and O'Malley. I will continue to advocate a moratorium on expanded outdoor dining on public property or repeal of the legislation. That's it for the moment.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:24 am

Thank you for your persistence in this matter and for all your updates.

I read every word you write (well, nearly :P),but you are so good at covering all the bases that I never have anything useful to add.

This is one of those matters that simply requires common sense.
(If only, for all those people with degrees, were required to take several classes in 'common sense' prior to getting those letters after their name.)

Thanks again....

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”