Message from LHS: Academic Expectations for Virtual Learning

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Betsy Voinovich

Message from LHS: Academic Expectations for Virtual Learning

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 am

Parents received this letter from Mr. Walter this week.

Dear Ranger Families,

I would like to address a misconception that seems to be spreading amongst our students. It has been reported to me, and observed through looking at Progressbook, that students are under the impression they are not required to do any work and that they will still receive the same grade as third quarter. This is absolutely a false understanding of the academic expectations of learning and grades during this time.

Please be clear that for any student who completes their work, gives an honest effort at learning, and shows that they understand the material they will receive no lower grade than third quarter. A student who is working hard, asks questions, turns in quality work may actually increase their grade from the previous quarter.

Students who do little or no work or "just log in" will be graded accordingly, and in fact, may receive a lower grade or potentially fail for the quarter. This will negatively impact overall grade point average, course credits, and eligibility for fall sports next year.

I am aware that the switch to virtual learning came as a shock to all of us and that we had some growing pains to teaching and learning in this new environment. However, now that we know this will be the form of instruction for the remainder of the year we must adapt to it. As previously communicated, please reach out to your teachers via school email if you are struggling with concepts. They are here to support you and want to help you learn and be successful.

For the parents reading this message, I will also be emailing each student directly to ensure that they are fully aware of the academic expectations and supports.

Thank you for your help making all of our students successful.

Mr. Walter

This has not been an easy time for students but from what I've observed in my family, students and teachers are evolving together and the teachers have been very responsive to issues students are having.

Betsy Voinovich

The Spirit Parade 2010

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”