Where to get masks?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Where to get masks?

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm

There's a lot more talk about the need for face masks, but to my knowledge availability is not there yet, and prices reflect the demand. I ordered two from Amazon and it took a month. Someone I know has been waiting two months for an order. The stores haven't had them in months.

Makeshift uses of bandannas and such work. Homemade face masks are around.

So where do you get face masks?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
jkocinski

Re: Where to get masks?

Postby jkocinski » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 am

I ordered 2 boxes of 3 masks off of Amazon, they will be delivered on Sunday. They are the cloth masks. I do not believe you can buy N95 masks unless you are a hospital or other type of first responder/medical personnel. As it should be until the supply chain ramps up. I would imagine there will some kind of requirement to wear these in public at some point.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:56 am

jkocinski wrote:I ordered 2 boxes of 3 masks off of Amazon, they will be delivered on Sunday. They are the cloth masks. I do not believe you can buy N95 masks unless you are a hospital or other type of first responder/medical personnel. As it should be until the supply chain ramps up. I would imagine there will some kind of requirement to wear these in public at some point.

Jkocinski

Thanks for the good news.

For those that do not know John, he is the machinist in this issue of the Lakewood Observer making ventilator parts!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:51 am

Tim Liston wrote:https://www.tomsguide.com/news/where-to-buy-face-masks-these-retailers-still-have-stock

First place I would try is newegg.com though you're kind of sleeping with the enemy....

Tim, Thanks for the helpful article.
I'm afraid I don't get the "sleeping with the enemy" reference. The Rakuten connection?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 am

jkocinski wrote:I ordered 2 boxes of 3 masks off of Amazon, they will be delivered on Sunday. They are the cloth masks. I do not believe you can buy N95 masks unless you are a hospital or other type of first responder/medical personnel. As it should be until the supply chain ramps up. I would imagine there will some kind of requirement to wear these in public at some point.

One of Amazon's Chinese sellers ships from somewhere in Ohio.

I think we were headed for required face masks until DeWine talked to Trump. It's still a good idea.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm

https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newe ... se-company

Newegg used to be a great site for tech-related stuff. Now they sell anything and accommodate third-party sellers.

jkocinski

Postby jkocinski » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:

One of Amazon's Chinese sellers ships from somewhere in Ohio.

I think we were headed for required face masks until DeWine talked to Trump. It's still a good idea.

I guess for me it isn't whether or not Trump or DeWine think I should wear it, if we are going to begin restarting our economy and people are once again going to be in close proximity to one another, I want some sort of protection. The real answer is to mail a test to every house in the US and find out how many people have had or do have this virus. Worker confidence and consumer confidence requires facts. We don't have very many of those at this point. I have implemented at least a dozen new policies in our shop to try to protect the people working here and the hardest thing I have found is trying to get compliance. I say you must stay at least 6 feet away from each other and mind you this is a big place, should not be a problem. I walk out on the floor and I have 6 people standing 1 foot away from each other. It will be much the same in stores and bars and eateries. The people who care about stopping this will not go out because they will have no confidence in their safety. I realize that even with an N95 mask there is still risk and the masks that I purchased are certainly not N95 masks but my personal belief is that if I go into a store with a mask on it may help to signal the people that are already there that I am serious about not catching this and they may keep their distance.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”