The Road Less Traveled

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: The Road Less Traveled

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:18 pm

[attachment=0]20160704_103956~2_2.jpg[/attachment
This picture is from the Fourth of July parade in 2016 and includes my daughter's dog Alex who walked with me and the pro-hospital group. Alex was a 3-year-old fresh off the track at that point, now an old man of 7, he and his housemate are riding out the plague at our house. He was never known as a dog of great brain power or racing prowess, but he loves my daughter. It looks now like Alex had more sense than many of our civic leaders.
Attachments
20160704_103956~2_2.jpg
20160704_103956~2_2.jpg (764.77 KiB) Viewed 13910 times

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:16 am

Let Us Demand A New Health Department for Lakewood

Yesterday's New York Times explains why we need a health department:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/opin ... tion=click

I have highlighted the text where it talks about the error in closing health departments, see attachment:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:15 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Let Us Demand A New Health Department for Lakewood

I have highlighted the text where it talks about the error in closing health departments, see attachment:

Opinion Coronavirus’s Biggest Lesson America Needs a Public Health System for.pdf

Mr. Kindt

While watching the State of Ohio COVID-19 Update it hit me hard when Dr. Amy Acton said, "I am working closely with all 131 Health Departments in the state."

Meaning there are at least 116 smaller cities that not only have a health department, but are better prepared than Lakewood, as they at least have a seat at the table. Lakewood does not.

Our information filters down to the county, where it is put out every now and then.

Does any sane member of this community believe our health concerns are the same as Cleveland? Seven Hills? Parma? No, of course not our density, our issues are unique.

So to recap, the last two administrations did not only liquidate our only hospital, sending the funds to their friends and sycophants to manage in private. They also shut down and destroyed one of the top 5 Health Department in the state at the time. All the time assuring Lakewoodites that there money was safe, and we would get much better health with an ice cream shop and dry cleaning. Ironically they claim that dry cleaning chemicals were keeping them from building on the site. Of course that is a lie too.

But for the grace of God, we survive this one.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:17 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:Let Us Demand A New Health Department for Lakewood

Opinion Coronavirus’s Biggest Lesson America Needs a Public Health System for.pdf

Mr. Kindt

While watching the State of Ohio COVID-19 Update it hit me hard when Dr. Amy Acton said, "I am working closely with all 131 Health Departments in the state."

Meaning there are at least 116 smaller cities that not only have a health department, but are better prepared than Lakewood, as they at least have a seat at the table. Lakewood does not.

Our information filters down to the county, where it is put out every now and then.

Does any sane member of this community believe our health concerns are the same as Cleveland? Seven Hills? Parma? No, of course not our density, our issues are unique.

So to recap, the last two administrations did not only liquidate our only hospital, sending the funds to their friends and sycophants to manage in private. They also shut down and destroyed one of the top 5 Health Department in the state at the time. All the time assuring Lakewoodites that there money was safe, and we would get much better health with an ice cream shop and dry cleaning. Ironically they claim that dry cleaning chemicals were keeping them from building on the site. Of course that is a lie too.

But for the grace of God, we survive this one.

If you subtract the 88 county health departments, we can see that 25 other incorporated communities, unlike Lakewood, have local health departments to serve them.

Regardless of the future of the former hospital site, as a community we all need to focus on re-establishing our local health department. This should be a priority given the current situation that we all face.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am

Here Is What The Metro Health System Offered Lakewood. Read and Weep.

This is just one page of what the planners at Metro were thinking about the future of Lakewood Hospital.

The mayor and certain non-elected civic leaders (at LHA and LHF) ignored this proposal and would NOT negotiate with Metro while ignoring the actual advice of their paid consultants.

Lakewood Metro Presentation 9.17.14_Redacted 12.jpg
Lakewood Metro Presentation 9.17.14_Redacted 12.jpg (134.95 KiB) Viewed 13717 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:18 am

Here's What The City, LHA, and LHF Flushed Down The Toilet By Ignoring Metro

If you add the additional site remediation costs for the former hospital site, we'd easily be pushing $180 Million in lost value.

Published statements made by the former Mayor prior to his departure from office about leaving a surplus, I consider to be more nonsense from him.

Worst mayor and worst city administration we've ever had.

Losing Lakewood Hospital - Summary Chart by KINDT.jpg
Losing Lakewood Hospital - Summary Chart by KINDT.jpg (404.86 KiB) Viewed 13658 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:22 am

Current Situation

No acute care hospital

No acute care hospital charity care

No hospital beds

No hospital bed licenses

No ICU beds

No Ventilators

No Equipment

No hospital-based funds

No local health department

ALL GONE!

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:00 pm

I would think that the removal of promotional signs on the barricade fencing of the old hospital site indicates the supposed developer has fled. That should open up the site for new entrants and if it is still in the control of the City, the City could set new standards i.e. limiting a proposal to one from Metro General. Also, I think that as part of a package, the City could obtain the new CCF facility by eminent domain and turn it over to Metro as part of a package.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Metro's proposal was made at a time when they were in the planning stages for their major renovation which is now underway. Times have changed, not to mention available money. That boat has sailed. It's nice to think what if but I'm afraid the answer is probably not now.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Current Situation

No acute care hospital

No acute care hospital charity care

No hospital beds

No hospital bed licenses

No ICU beds

No Ventilators

No Equipment

No hospital-based funds

No local health department

ALL GONE!

Other posts today are discussing the inability of the City's selected developer to perform on its contract for One Lakewood Place without additional multi-million dollar public subsidies.

Looks like the disaster of the prior city administration is now completed.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:04 am

Time To Move On And How We Do It

We have elected a new mayor and we have a mostly new city council who face crisis situations on multiple fronts -- a pandemic and an economic downturn that have all unfolded over the past 6 weeks.

The public policy issue to be addressed almost immediately is legislation to create, fund, and staff a new Health Department for the City of Lakewood to coordinate Covid-19 testing in one of the State's most densely populated cities.

Lakewood will not be able to get back to business without the implementation of testing for the corona virus on the widest possible community scale.

This will take a local government effort.

The sooner the better!

Yes, it is time to move on and we should do so quickly and with set determination.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 am

Request for Legislation for New Department of Public Health.jpg
Request for Legislation for New Department of Public Health.jpg (187.7 KiB) Viewed 13200 times

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am

I think this request should go to the top of next meeting's agenda

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:09 am

I also want to commend Mayor George for her leadership during this unprecedented crisis. It's a tough one. No easy solutions.

May our elected officials have courage and strength to address unknown challenges.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”