The Road Less Traveled

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Re: The Road Less Traveled

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:51 am

Stan Austin wrote:Mr. Kindt-- May I add another complicating factor. What we do within the boundaries of Lakewood is one thing. However, most of our daily lives include contact and travel to neighboring and adjacent cities. Just sayin' keep your mask on wash your hands (love to see Bucks win, but REALLY want them to come back healthy)

Stan

I would say previous administrations have truly painted us into a corner. Before the Ed FitzGerald/Summers/LakewoodAlive V1/Three Arches days, Lakewood was a community dedicated and very happy being the best place to live and raise a family. We relished in being the "safest city in america" and "City of Trees." Ed FitzGerald/Summers/LakewoodAlive V1/Three Arches squandered all of that for a small handful of magic beans called "bars and restaurants." Instantly we went from protection and serving residents to serving businesses first and always. I cannot think of a handful of people that have made more wrong decisions.

We went from a place that encourage families including doctors to move here. We had world class healthcare. We had the best schools and libraries money could buy. All of that was squandered by a small handful of people willing to lie, cheat and steal for their own interests.

So how does a vacation/destination city protect themselves? I have no idea.

How does the best place to raise a family do it. Lock the doors the best you can, and cross your fingers.

With no health department and a city more worried about spending money on things that need crowds we are in for a crazy rough ride.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: The Road Less hTraveled

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Jim - I was so "fortunate" to have had an heart issue at the height of the excellence of the former Lakewood Hospital. ( anecdotally, Tom (the Mayor) said I only wanted to get a ride in the ambulances that I promoted in my 1973 campaign) :D

cmager

Postby cmager » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:52 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Stan Austin wrote:Mr. Kindt-- May I add another complicating factor. What we do within the boundaries of Lakewood is one thing. However, most of our daily lives include contact and travel to neighboring and adjacent cities. Just sayin' keep your mask on wash your hands (love to see Bucks win, but REALLY want them to come back healthy)

Stan
I would say previous administrations have truly painted us into a corner. Before the Ed FitzGerald/Summers/LakewoodAlive V1/Three Arches days, Lakewood was a community dedicated and very happy being the best place to live and raise a family. We relished in being the "safest city in america" and "City of Trees." Ed FitzGerald/Summers/LakewoodAlive V1/Three Arches squandered all of that for a small handful of magic beans called "bars and restaurants." Instantly we went from protection and serving residents to serving businesses first and always. I cannot think of a handful of people that have made more wrong decisions.

We went from a place that encourage families including doctors to move here. We had world class healthcare. We had the best schools and libraries money could buy. All of that was squandered by a small handful of people willing to lie, cheat and steal for their own interests.

So how does a vacation/destination city protect themselves? I have no idea.

How does the best place to raise a family do it. Lock the doors the best you can, and cross your fingers.

With no health department and a city more worried about spending money on things that need crowds we are in for a crazy rough ride.

Those well-known Lakewood "leaders" who are associated with and "serve" on Three Arches should be embarrassed at what they hath wrought.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:34 am

Mr. Austin, regarding your mention of complicating factors. Indeed, there may be many. But we are where we are. --A national pandemic of historic proportions.

Our local elected and appointed official face difficult choices in unusual times. This is what public service has always been about. I appreciate the contacts that I have had with them.

Seven months into a severe pandemic, our community appears by at least one measure (like it or not) to be leading the county in reported cases.

Our public sidewalks and streets have been "donated" to bars and restaurants for the duration of the pandemic on a gratis basis.

Our State Senator is a co-sponsor of a bill to return Ohio bars back to full hours of operation.

We can walk by any tavern and see patrons barstool-to-barstool and no one wearing a mask except the barkeep(!)

Funds previously committed to public healthcare and access to pubic healthcare in Lakewood are no longer available for public use by public officials. They are parked uselessly on Wall Street.

(And by "Funds" I mean tens of millions of dollars no longer under public control or contractually committed for local public purposes. --Just the access funds were worth about $70M).

As long as CCBH publishes a map each week depicting the number of cases in Lakewood on the rise, I will continue to publish it here.

Stan, I have now met my duty as both a lawyer and as a citizen. I leave it at that.

Be well. Stay safe.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Just To Prove My Point on Gratis

Here's the application form:
OutdoorDining_TemporaryApplication.jpg
OutdoorDining_TemporaryApplication.jpg (280.73 KiB) Viewed 7448 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”