Update: DeWine's Statement 3.16 Judge Denies Postponement of Election

This will be the archive for the daily COVID-19 Updates and eventually all COVID-19 posts.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Update: DeWine's Statement 3.16 Judge Denies Postponement of Election

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:05 pm

In today's Coronavirus Update by Governor Mike DeWine stated...

The following are closed as of business today.

Fitness Centers
Rec Centers
Gyms
Movie Theaters
Indoor Parks

CDC has limited groups to 50 or less.

Voting tomorrow is postponed.

People 65 and older should not leave their homes unless they have to.

People with compromised health or are pregnant should not leave their homes unless they have to.

A Franklin County Judge denied the state’s attempt to postpone Election Day until June 2.

Common Pleas Court Judge Richard Frye said it would be a “terrible precedent” for a judge to step in 12 hours before polls open to rewrite the election code.

Voting extended until June 2. Between now and then people should try to absentee vote.

This extension will have to be decided by the courts in a hearing in Franklin County which will not be contested by the Attorney General’s office. So that should go through in hours.

A Franklin County Judge denied the state’s attempt to postpone Election Day until June 2. Common Pleas Court Judge Richard Frye said it would be a “terrible precedent” for a judge to step in 12 hours before polls open to rewrite the election code.

In DeWine's press conference he stated that voters shouldn't have to choose between their health and their ability to vote, especially Ohio's older population, and those with compromised health.

At the present moment, the Ohio Supreme Court can make the decision to overturn the lower court overnight.

Read full story here: https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200316/ ... ion-reigns

From Dr. Atkins:

50 more positive tests as of this morning. “The tip of the iceberg.” Ages ranging from 15 to 80, median age, 51. 30 men, 20 women.

There is so much community spread that they can no longer track the virus by contact or travel, though there is still some of that.

We do not have a vaccine.

You will hear in the days to come about our health care systems..[/b]

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Re: Governor DeWine's Statement 03.16.2020

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Let me go on record with this prediction .... nationwide baby boom in December 2020.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Sandra Donnelly

Postby Sandra Donnelly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm having a difficult time chasing this down. How can my 90 year old parents get absentee ballots if they do not have a computer to request them? Is there an address or phone number that they can call? Any advice is appreciated! I've been trying to get answers all day today to no avail. Thanks!

Sandra Donnelly

Postby Sandra Donnelly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm having a difficult time chasing this down. How can my 90 year old parents get absentee ballots if they do not have a computer to request them? Is there an address or phone number that they can call? Any advice is appreciated! I've been trying to get answers all day today to no avail. Thanks!

Dan Alaimo

Re: Update: DeWine's Statement 3.16 Judge Denies Postponement of Election

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 pm

It's difficult, if not impossible at this juncture if voting is Tuesday. Maybe someone has better info. Starting a couple of weeks ahead, you can get a paper form to request the ballot a variety of ways, fill it out and then get the ballot. If voting is postponed, you will still have time to do that.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:06 pm

The events of the past several hours re: Ohio's primary were absolutely unnecessary, inexcusable, colossal incompetence.

That's that.

The problems with holding an election were just as evident last week as they were today. Yet the Republican governor, AG, and Secretary of State let days roll by during which millions of people anticipated an election on Tuesday, Marcy 17. Then, after wasting time in pursuit of a solution both appropriate and politically convenient for them, wasted almost half of the hours still remaining on a crackbrained scheme to circumvent their political problems via a collusive lawsuit.

Then that failed, leaving everyone flopping around in uncertainty for most of the evening, after which the much-praised great leader DeWine once again hid behind Dr. Amy Acton, relying on her to rationalize his ignoring a court order.

Let's review just a few examples of the completely preventable chaos which the DeWine government bears full responsibility for:
  • "All poll workers, including me, were robocalled and told not to report to our polling locations for set up tonight. It’s a complete shit show if the election is on."
  • "@FranklinCoBOE sent texts (7:11 p.m.) and emails (7:37 p.m.) to pollworkers saying they did not need to come in -- AFTER the judge decision was made."
  • "Friend in Cincinnati whose polling place is a library got a message that they’re not reopening for voting tomorrow because there’s no voting tomorrow"
  • "Franklin County BOE still lists Ohio Union [closed hours ago] as the polling place for 8 precincts"
  • "You need to understand the confusion. I've had pollworkers asking ME what their plan should be for tomorrow. Their own elections officials aren't answering. The state hotline is busy. In some cases, news outlets have reported the wrong information, spreading more confusion."
If Cordray, Clyde & Dettelbach were the ones who stalled, declined to call the legislature to get involved, and produced this cluster****, they would be castigated for it, and I would support that.

How can LaRose, in particular, claim any credibility to administer the November general election after this?

:: matt kuhns ::
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Call the Board Of Elections: 216-443-8683. You should get a recording. You will have to key in your parents date of birth....month, date, year.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Sandra Donnelly wrote:I'm having a difficult time chasing this down. How can my 90 year old parents get absentee ballots if they do not have a computer to request them? Is there an address or phone number that they can call? Any advice is appreciated! I've been trying to get answers all day today to no avail. Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't do the paste correctly.

Sandra, just call the Board of Elections at 216-443-8683. You will get a recording. Follow the prompts and be sure to have your parents dates of birth. Month, date, year. You will have to key them in. You will have to go through the process twice, since you are calling for 2 individuals.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 pm

pj bennett wrote:
Sandra Donnelly wrote:I'm having a difficult time chasing this down. How can my 90 year old parents get absentee ballots if they do not have a computer to request them? Is there an address or phone number that they can call? Any advice is appreciated! I've been trying to get answers all day today to no avail. Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't do the paste correctly.

Sandra, just call the Board of Elections at 216-443-8683. You will get a recording. Follow the prompts and be sure to have your parents dates of birth. Month, date, year. You will have to key them in. You will have to go through the process twice, since you are calling for 2 individuals.

As of sometime in the very late evening, the election was postponed again, although I don't think a new date has been firmed up. Nonetheless you have time to get the applications for the vote-by-mail (absentee) ballots. PJ's solution is easy and simple, or you could request them online for your parents. You can also obtain them for your parents at the Board of Elections. It should be easier for the November election.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “COVID-19 Archives”