Lakewood Shoppers Empty The Shelves

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood Shoppers Empty The Shelves

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Photo and essay by Jacob Chabowski.

Giant Eagle.

Aldi's

Aldi's

Aldi's

(by Jacob Chabowski) March 12th, 2020 is the day many in the world came to grips with the reality that their daily routines would change for the next several weeks because of COVID-19.

It is a day that saw the DOW plummet 10%, schools close, sporting events cancelled, and world leaders grimly announce shutdowns and quarantines. The world collectively became exhausted, fearful, and confused.

"We will get through this - Ohioans are resilient," Governor DeWine said. "The sun will come up in the morning, but it's going to get darker before the sun comes up. The goal is to minimize deaths."

In Lakewood, shortly after the Governor's latest press conference announcing groups of 100 or more would be deemed an unlawful gathering (with few exceptions), residents and visitors flocked to local grocery stores. Toilet paper, bottled water, and disinfectants were in hot demand. All stores had short supply of these items. Other items, like bread and beef, were also in short supply at certain stores.

Lines weaved up and down various aisles. Shoppers told me it took nearly 30 minutes to checkout. At Aldi's, people started to park at a nearby bank. Shoppers at Giant Eagle were forced to park near the Winking Lizard.

Despite the lines shoppers seemed in good spirits. One woman told me with a laugh "None of us know what the future will bring, but we do know we are in this together like it or not."

Local journalism will be more important than ever now. What is your community doing to prepare for this? What events are cancelled? What are your neighbors saying?

The Lakewood Observer will continue to post announcements as they come in from City and Community leaders.

Stay tuned, Lakewood.

Stores photographed below: Giant Eagle (Lakewood) on Detroit, Aldi's (Lakewood) on W 117th, and Marc's (Lakewood) on Detroit

Marc's Lakewood

See it all here:
http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jacob-chabowski/in-lakewood-shoppers-prepare-for-uncertain-future

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Re: Lakewood Shoppers Empty The Shelves

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Here's a question for our aspiring journalists to ask: what's with the hoarding of toilet paper? Everything else I sort of get, but of all the things on the list, toilet paper is the most replaceable with other kinds of paper - not great choices, but usable.

The whole thing seems like Atlanta after a 2-inch blizzard.

Also, haven't people heard of online shopping and home delivery?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 am

i stopped at drug mart. the crowds were normal. I purchased two cans of sardines, a box of tea bags, and a box of cheap laundry detergent. but I had been planning on it all week.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 am

We went to Marcs after work. It was crazy, and the lines were much longer than a typical night at Marcs. Despite this, what I found reassuring was the kindness and concern that the shoppers and clerks had for each other. People were assisting other people and letting folks who had just a few items cut into the long lines. We purchased what we typically buy at Marcs - cleaning supplies, bottled water, cat litter - and the shelves were stocked.

Despite the horrible example set by our commander-in-chief, it was heartwarming to see the care and concern that people are showing one another.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 am

the Crowds tend to flock to the biggest chain stores in these insane panics.
There are dollar stores and pharmacy chain stores everywhere, and they are full of toilet paper.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:18 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:Here's a question for our aspiring journalists to ask: what's with the hoarding of toilet paper? Everything else I sort of get, but of all the things on the list, toilet paper is the most replaceable with other kinds of paper - not great choices, but usable.

The whole thing seems like Atlanta after a 2-inch blizzard.

Also, haven't people heard of online shopping and home delivery?

Dan

Don't fall into the trap. This one is easy to figure out.

1) Necessities for the next 4 weeks, water will be plentiful.

2) very cheap and thin way to clean up noses, eyes, etc.

3) It is also flu season, which brings on a greater need.

Following Italy and France, both countries had slightly better response than us. Italy shot down for at least 4 week. France is about ready to shut down. Coronavirus is out of control in the UK but no testing yet. And then there is the USA where not only were we not prepared, we turned our backs on the tests that the rest of the world was using to develop our own test. That failed, and now we are still weeks away from proper testing being unrolled.

As we found out yesterday that with 1,000 cases in USA, Ohio believes that over 100,000 Ohioians could be infected at this point. Testing still a week or more away.

This gets real ugly.

I went out Saturday to lay in two freezers of food, and a full pantry of dry and canned goods, and yes 4 weeks of toilet paper.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:34 pm

It was hard to believe so I went myself, and sure enough many aisle and shelves picked clean.

Deli closed after doing over $24,000 in 6 hours! I guess it is like the Stock Market, who knew.

While Jacob found aisles picked clean let me highlight some of what is left.

Lot's of BBQ Sauce.

Condiments a plenty.

Pickles seem to be well stocked.

Ran into my favorite ex-Mayor, Anthony Sinagra. Only 4 time Mayor in Lakewood's history. Breaks me up!

And then I stopped by my favorite paper products store and it seemed well stocked.

Day Star Boutique looking out for Lakewood's paper needs..

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:44 pm

How well are re-stocked the next day?

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm

I am wondering why the Deli counter closed - in the picture shown, it looks like there is still plenty of meat and cheese available . . .

I went to Heinen's this morning - it was all hands on deck. Employees were restocking shelves at a furious pace, something that GIant Eagle seemed unable to do well before the coronavirus scare. I can't tell you how many times I've been there on a Sunday morning and the shelves haven't been stocked overnight. That particular store seems to be understaffed on a daily basis.

I even overheard the GM of Heinen's tell an employee this morning that he was proud of how this person was keeping his particular area (the dairy department) stocked. He was actually motivating his team members to push through the craziness.

The only time I've seen the GM of Giant Eagle is when a customer requests to speak to one personally . . .

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”