Army Recruiting at Lakewood High School

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Betsy Voinovich

Army Recruiting at Lakewood High School

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am

If you wondered why there was a large US Army truck parked in the circle in front of Lakewood High School, according to my kids, they are recruiting with their Virtual Reality station. Students get to go into the truck and put VR gear on and experience what it's like to ride in a helicopter, sky dive, etc.

Apparently students are discussing the situation with comments like, "Yeah, you're sky diving, but what happens when you land?" and the kind of access the Army has to them while they are in school. Many are saying that they find the situation inappropriate. As a parent, I am pleased that they are thinking and discussing and I realize that this has been encouraged by their teachers and the classes they take at Lakewood High.

I also think that parents should have been informed, and always should be informed about any group that is being given access to their children. I asked my kids who gets to go in the truck-- thinking it was only for seniors, or maybe only for 18-year-olds-- their answer, "Anyone who wants to."

Betsy Voinovich

Richard Baker

Re: Army Recruiting at Lakewood High School

Postby Richard Baker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:27 pm

I assume they don't have ROTC high school programs anymore don't see students in uniform. Not a bad idea to join when you graduate from high school. You can pick your MOS, but choose it wisely if you are not going to stay in the service as a career. Examples, MPs if you going to be a police officer, electrician, mechanic, logistics, etc. and they have excellent schools and training. You picked your MOS, but it's up to you to qualify for it. The military does not grade on the curve; it requires mature, self-discipline, honor, respect, duty, accountability, responsibility, and willingness to follow orders. You are not privileged, and there is no mommy in the service but in the end, you come out a better man or woman if you give it your 100 percent.

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:38 am

I agree with Betsy on this one. I believe that parents should have been made aware of this recruitment effort. Coming from a military family, I do recognize and appreciate the benefits and sacrifices that come with military service. However, I have seen these programs first hand. The military is portrayed in the exhibits as being more of a video game. It is more suited to a gaming convention. But, it is extremely effective, which is why all branches employ this method. Perhaps along with the joy sticks and virtual reality goggles, there should also be pictures of dismembered bodies and civilians killed as "collateral damage". We must not further blur the lines between truth and virtual reality.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am

High Schools have Junior ROTC programs. Several nearby districts have them.
Kids from nearby districts sometimes join them.
Colleges and Universities have regular ROTC programs.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”