Council President Dan O'Malley

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Brian Essi holds a unique position in or civic life. Council members and Administration-- whenever you take an action, just ask yourself--what would Brian Essi's reaction be? Thanks Brian for you civic involvement. Enjoy your fishing! Stan

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 pm

I would suggest that the "non-partisan" nature of Lakewood has not served the voters very well.

We now have a "uni-party" system where only Democrats govern in the majority of years and they have a litigated record of being largely insensitive to openness, transparency and ethics-in-government or legitimacy of governmental process.

I think this was pretty well-demonstrated in the public interest litigation against the city between 2015 and 2018.

I am confident that the new administration and the 2020 city council will do better on these kinds of fundamentals.

We can all thank Brian Essi for forcing the City of Lakewood via the courts to comply with Ohio law and improve its processes for the release of public records.

In my book, a very significant accomplishment -- greater than anything he could do serving on council.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:We can all thank Brian Essi for forcing the City of Lakewood via the courts to comply with Ohio law and improve its processes for the release of public records.

In my book, a very significant accomplishment -- greater than anything he could do serving on council.

Mark

I agree 100%.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind. Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

It's not a question of money. I have gladly voted for every levy since I moved here in '83, and I would have gladly vored for this one too. My problem is with how decisions are being made - transparency. I recall the clinic in the high school and the selection of Dr. Barnes (a very good choice, but one that didn't follow procedures). This is all very similar to city government.

Vote them out? Easier said than done. The school board has a built-in following of parents, grandparents, other relatives, businesspeople, nonprofits, etc., etc., i have no illusions. This levy will pass, and the core members of the board will remain.

All i can do is register my objection.

"Protest votes" helped get us where we are today in what remains of the federal government.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind.

Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

It's not a question of money. I have gladly voted for every levy since I moved here in '83, and I would have gladly vored for this one too. My problem is with how decisions are being made - transparency. I recall the clinic in the high school and the selection of Dr. Barnes (a very good choice, but one that didn't follow procedures). This is all very similar to city government.

Vote them out? Easier said than done. The school board has a built-in following of parents, grandparents, other relatives, businesspeople, nonprofits, etc., etc., i have no illusions. This levy will pass, and the core members of the board will remain.

All i can do is register my objection.

Dan

Actually you hit on something here, so let me work with your set up.

What Council went through and how we ended up with Dr. Barnes is amazingly similar. Both were basically a hiring. Both came with over ten applicants, many of the applicants had friends or at least fans but the time the first meeting happened. Through every method good and bad you can think of, discussions are made, deals are made, people agree to drop people to push a favorite forward. The that favorite is gone in next discussion so new alliances are made. In the end, with Dr, Barnes he moved through based on credentials, started as not the favorite but earned the BOE's votes and confidence. Likewise the same went on here at council. More like a Caucus, than a vote.

I would say to both the BOE and Council's credit, both final were with people that were rarely mentioned at any point in the process. However it would appear that Council-At-Large Kapple has many more connections in the process than Dr. Barnes did.

I find it so odd that, there was a strong FitzGerald/Summers/O'Leary contingent working the process. Every once in a while I heard a name surface and some conversations about their history, or whatever. At no point did her name ever pop up, and I know who was whose favorites in the process.

Let's touch the BOE and Levy for a quick second. Maybe, just maybe we need candidates. Mike Callahan walked through the door at the election. Hell he was a solid winner the day he announced. His backing from parents is amazing. I had heard about this miracle sports administration figure three years before I ever met him. People that can agree on nothing agreed Callahan would be great for the schools. That is what is needed. A person with passion, drive and ideas, heating up the process.

To me the only BOE member that has delivered the goods for the people of Lakewood is Ed Favre. He has been in the open in nearly every thing I have ever seen him post, or heard him answer to others. Everyone has beliefs and agendas, including Ed Favre, but he is not running a back deal through the schools. Now then, the Clinic at the High School. I had the pleasure(?) of attending all of the public meetings for the new High School. The "clinic" small c, was always in the plans, at the size it was at. There was no CCF on it but it was there. The Family Fitness Center which I thought was silly, but now as a member I see the value was the after thought.

Levies in general. Mike was right and most long time Deck members understand the BS the entire state is locked into having to go for levy every 4-6 years. Here in Lakewood we have been blessed that they generally run longer, though its the kids that always pay in the long run. The problem is as seen here, in the 80s-90s, when a school levy fails, they often fail for the next 4-10 elections. By the time the community really understands the problems, the cut backs to students, literally the only place they can cut, is immense and harmful. When I say the only place they can cut, is because teachers, administrations, services are bound by contracts with incentives, health care, pensions, etc. So the cuts come from what students get. Senior teachers cut for new teachers, programs become more and more pay to participate.

Now take these financial pressures and pull them out for 5, 10, 15 years, and you are looking at a school system about to fail. And here is the punchline, if the school system fails, property values go to hell, people move, and the burden increases. One of the very best facts I have read, is that property values, sustainability, and vibrancy in this case people moving in, is largely based on schools, safety and location.

We built $125 million in state of the art buildings, to not spend the money to fill them would be foolish. It would be like buying a Ferrari and skimping on the gas.

FWIW

Support the levy for the kids.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

For the record, I am not advocating that other people vote against the levy. This is not a campaign, but an individual saying where he stands.

If the levy were to fail the first time, I would vote for it the inevitable second time. I know what's good for the kids, for Lakewood and for myself.

Thanks for the explanation, Jim.

"In campaigns it's all about what you say...
"In government it's all about what you do...
"And the great ones know the difference."
Former NYS Governor Mario Cuomo (1932-2015)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley:

So Dan, how do you end the conversation with someone who presides over an all white City Council in Lakewood in 2020?
The conversation about diversity and inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

A week later, how do you end that conversation with someone who had an open seat to fill on City Council and went all in, all in on "the next white person up". And by doing so denied a qualified woman of color the opportunity to have a seat at table, to be in a position of power, to bring the strength of diversity to Lakewood City Council.

I'll start here ...

What you and John Litten and Tristan Rader and the rest did, was wrong. Blatant, going out of your way wrong. You had plenty of time to encourage and recruit qualified persons of color. You had in front of you a qualified person of color. The moment was there, right in front of you. And given the historic and current makeup of Lakewood City Council, you could have, you should have, made a difference. You should have mattered.

Instead you went back to the familiar, back to what was comfortable. Back to the one constant in Lakewood politics, that atavistic response ... 'Keep it White'. "Keep it like us". Sending a clear and ugly message - Not those people. Not at our table. Not on our watch.

Systemic racism- we're good with that.
"Crain's 40 under 40" - we'll catch you at the next photo-op.

A defining moment Dan. That moment when you, Litten, Rader and the rest, slammed the door shut on diversity and inclusion. A moment that defines you and them.

I'll end here ...

Lakewood City Council President Dan O' Malley:

That next photo-op, (and it's just a matter of time), the one with the person of color standing next to you, the person of color who'll never sit on Lakewood City Council, when that opportunity presents itself Dan, do us all a favor and spare us the big grin and the arm around the shoulder. Because we know that you know that the joke's on them.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”