Council President Dan O'Malley

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

m buckley

Re: Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby m buckley » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:05 pm

m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Congratulations to Ward 4 Councilman Dan O'Malley on being selected Lakewood City Council President

Thanks Jim. My goal as council president is to provide steady leadership and to make sure everyone has a voice.

Dear Council President O,'Malley:

I applaud you for your pledge to "make sure everyone has a voice". The open seat on City Council is the perfect opportunity for you to take action to match your pledge. Because of City Council's lack of diversity, significant and important voices are not heard in our city. Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

Take this first step in making sure everyone has a voice. Make sure the next voice on City Council is a person of color.

I understand the importance of diversity and representation. I think every person I’ve appointed to city boards and commissions happens to have been a woman, person of color, and/or LGBTQ. My approach to the filling of the council vacancy is to keep a completely open mind until everyone has had the opportunity to apply. City Council has serious and difficult work to do these next two years and filling this vacancy with the right person will be crucial to our success.

Dear Council President O'Malley:

I applaud your commitment to diversity reflected in your earlier appointments. But I was not challenging your commitment. Rather, I was asking that you use this important opportunity to add diversity to the voices at City Council. I assume that by "the right person" you mean someone who is qualified, engaged, has integrity and is committed to the best interests of our city. I agree with that. But, there is never only one "right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if we are open to identifying them and opening the door. There are a number of people who would serve the city well in this role - including people of color. (Although some may need encouragement to express interest, given the current and historic demographics of City Council.)

You plan to ensure "everyone has a voice". Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity. It's a critical first step to achieve your goal.

To start the list of candidates, Michael Deneen has suggested Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Her experience, described in her profile as a Crain's 40 Under 40, is certainly at least as impressive as anyone on the currently all-white city council.

Mark, fair points. Thanks.

Dan, you're welcome.
Looking forward to continuing the conversation on diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

Lakewood Ohio City Council President Dan O'Malley.

So Dan, Where do you pick up the conversation with someone who presides over an all white City Council in 2020 with an open seat to fill? ... 'Happy MLK day ?' - no that doesn't sound right. How about- 'Hey Dan where do I get one of those cool diversity yard signs?' - no that's a bit awkward given the circumstances.

Maybe we start here...
It's been 2 and 1/2 months since Meghan George won the election for mayor and her seat on City Council became open. That's a lot of time to reflect and act. To encourage and recruit qualified persons of color. To ensure that others have a seat at the table. A voice at the table. To change the historic and current demographics of Lakewood City Council.

That all white council culture. It's wrong. That next-white-guy-up political culture. It's wrong. The closed-door-need-not-apply culture. It's wrong. Too many have been too comfortable with the politics of exclusion in Lakewood for too long. It's wrong. MLK Day 2020 and it's way past time for change on Lakewood City Council.

Take this first step toward creating the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

It's your move. Your moment. Make a difference.

"The time is always right to do what is right." - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Even though the most recent post was addressed to Council President O'Malley it should also be considered by the other five Council Members---many of whom were supported by those of us on the Deck and in everyday campaigning in their quest for office.
Stan Austin

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Even though the most recent post was addressed to Council President O'Malley it should also be considered by the other five Council Members---many of whom were supported by those of us on the Deck and in everyday campaigning in their quest for office.
Stan Austin

Clear mandate for change.

Will they step up and perform, or do the same old routine.

They do so at their own peril, as they will be voted out. All the young millenials they have been trying to attract to Lakewood are largely supportive of increased diversity

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:21 pm

m buckley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Congratulations to Ward 4 Councilman Dan O'Malley on being selected Lakewood City Council President

Thanks Jim. My goal as council president is to provide steady leadership and to make sure everyone has a voice.

I applaud you for your pledge to "make sure everyone has a voice". The open seat on City Council is the perfect opportunity for you to take action to match your pledge. Because of City Council's lack of diversity, significant and important voices are not heard in our city. Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

Take this first step in making sure everyone has a voice. Make sure the next voice on City Council is a person of color.

I understand the importance of diversity and representation. I think every person I’ve appointed to city boards and commissions happens to have been a woman, person of color, and/or LGBTQ. My approach to the filling of the council vacancy is to keep a completely open mind until everyone has had the opportunity to apply. City Council has serious and difficult work to do these next two years and filling this vacancy with the right person will be crucial to our success.

I applaud your commitment to diversity reflected in your earlier appointments. But I was not challenging your commitment. Rather, I was asking that you use this important opportunity to add diversity to the voices at City Council. I assume that by "the right person" you mean someone who is qualified, engaged, has integrity and is committed to the best interests of our city. I agree with that. But, there is never only one "right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if we are open to identifying them and opening the door. There are a number of people who would serve the city well in this role - including people of color. (Although some may need encouragement to express interest, given the current and historic demographics of City Council.)

You plan to ensure "everyone has a voice". Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity. It's a critical first step to achieve your goal.

To start the list of candidates, Michael Deneen has suggested Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Her experience, described in her profile as a Crain's 40 Under 40, is certainly at least as impressive as anyone on the currently all-white city council.

Mark, fair points. Thanks.

Dan, you're welcome.
Looking forward to continuing the conversation on diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

Lakewood Ohio City Council President Dan O'Malley:

So Dan, Where do you pick up the conversation with someone who presides over an all white City Council in 2020 with an open seat to fill? ... 'Happy MLK day ?' - no that doesn't sound right. How about- 'Hey Dan where do I get one of those cool diversity yard signs?' - no that's a bit awkward given the circumstances.

Maybe we start here...
It's been 2 and 1/2 months since Meghan George won the election for mayor and her seat on City Council became open. That's a lot of time to reflect and act. To encourage and recruit qualified persons of color. To ensure that others have a seat at the table. A voice at the table. To change the historic and current demographics of Lakewood City Council.

That all white council culture. It's wrong. That next-white-guy-up political culture. It's wrong. The closed-door-need-not-apply culture. It's wrong. Too many have been too comfortable with the politics of exclusion in Lakewood for too long. It's wrong. MLK Day 2020 and it's way past time for change on Lakewood City Council.

Take this first step toward creating the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

"The time is always right to do what is right." - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lakewood Ohio City Council President Dan O'Malley.

So Dan where do you continue the conversation with someone who presides over an all white City Council in Lakewood in 2020 with an open seat to fill? The conversation about diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

We could continue here...

Happy Black History Month, Dan.

And we could talk about Selma, Alabama, where John Lewis, an American hero, got his head cracked open on the Edmund Pettus bridge, in the struggle for civil rights, in the struggle to have a voice at the table. Selma, Alabama, where the City Council has been integrated since 1972.

But maybe we should continue here...

And talk about Lakewood and that persistent pattern that repeats and never gets challenged. The all white city government. The all white city council. The open seat that always goes to the 'next white guy up'. The door that's closed. The voices not heard. The politics of exclusion.

There is something atavistic about it - the continuing loop of people that look like you - talk like you - think like you - people you know, people you're comfortable with. Only they get to sit at the table - always. They get to matter - always. They're always white. Inclusion and diversity repeatedly pushed aside.

How do we describe this Dan? How are we to understand it? Chance? Coincidence? Systemic racism? It's got that stench to it, Dan.

Council president O'Malley you have in front of you a more than qualified candidate in Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. A thoughtful, engaged, Crain's 40 under 40. A woman of color, who wants a seat at the table, who's got something to add, and who wants her voice heard.

Will you respond by opening the door to inclusion?

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:15 am

Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley:

Dan, when you deliberate to fill the open seat on City Council I hope you'll keep in mind that there is never only "one right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if you are open to identifying them and to opening the door.

Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world views adds the strength of diversity.

Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

I want to believe that you, John Litten, Tristan Rader and the others on city council are sensitive to, and in support of, the need for diversity and inclusion on Lakewood City Council.

Dan O'Malley, it's your moment. Kick the door open. Make a difference.

Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:38 pm

m buckley wrote:Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley:

Dan, when you deliberate to fill the open seat on City Council I hope you'll keep in mind that there is never only "one right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if you are open to identifying them and to opening the door.

Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world views adds the strength of diversity.

Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

I want to believe that you, John Litten, Tristan Rader and the others on city council are sensitive to, and in support of, the need for diversity and inclusion on Lakewood City Council.

Dan O'Malley, it's your moment. Kick the door open. Make a difference.

I endorsed Laura. I wrote council that the person who told me about Laura, a black woman I was working with on a project, while singing Laura's praises also wondered if Lakewood would ever elect a person of color. Well, apparently Lakewood will not elect or appoint a incredibly qualified person of color to council. I am very disappointed.

Like it or not, there is a perception, being reinforced here, that Lakewood is not a community willing to give people of color a seat at the table. We talk about diversity, that is largely invisible, we talk of having walkable neighborhood schools then build schools with car drop-off lanes prominent in the design. I have witnessed racism and class-ism in people in Lakewood. I love living in Lakewood and would extra love living in the city it pretends to be. I would hope we could be better.

Again, I am very disappointed.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 pm

I too, am disappointed. The city talks the talk, but does not walk the walk.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Kate McCarthy wrote:Like it or not, there is a perception, being reinforced here, that Lakewood is not a community willing to give people of color a seat at the table.

It's not a "perception"....it's a reality.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:46 am

I always laughed when people touted Lakewood’s “diversity,” and pretended that we embraced everyone.

In reality, city council and mayor took the following actions, specifically to address the influx of “diverse” residents:

Removed basketball hoops at all the parks (cuz blacks play b-ball!)

Banned the ownership of pit bull dogs (cuz blacks own pit bulls)

Instituted a daytime curfew for those under age 18 (cuz blacks hang around during the day)

Deny it all you want, but it’s the TRUTH. The PTB were afraid of too many “diverse” people moving into lily white Lakewood, the place where you’d get pulled over for “driving while black.”

What makes anyone think that has changed? Ending the pit bull ban was like pulling teeth. Getting hoops put back up took years of effort.

Yes, we ARE becoming more “diverse,” but not necessarily tolerant of it.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Few want to think about this, but a real minoriy in this municipal government is credible republicans. I'm not talking flippers of convenience or incoherent trumpers, but intelligent people with another viewpoint. I'm a lifelong Dem, but i'm commited to fair representation, here, at the state level and nationally. Anything else is unhealthy.

(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind.

Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
michael gill

Postby michael gill » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Dan, are you suggesting some kind of affirmative action program to appoint Republicans to Council, in the name of diversity?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24 pm

michael gill wrote:Dan, are you suggesting some kind of affirmative action program to appoint Republicans to Council, in the name of diversity?

I'm saying if you havea a good one, like Brian Essi, don't dismiss him because of politcal purity. At least hear what he has to say.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:
I'm saying if you havea a good one, like Brian Essi, don't dismiss him because of politcal purity. At least hear what he has to say.

I'm 99.8% sure (maybe even 99.9% sure) that it was not Mr. Essi's party affiliation that lead him to not being selected!

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind.

Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

It's not a question of money. I have gladly voted for every levy since I moved here in '83, and I would have gladly vored for this one too. My problem is with how decisions are being made - transparency. I recall the clinic in the high school and the selection of Dr. Barnes (a very good choice, but one that didn't follow procedures). This is all very similar to city government.

Vote them out? Easier said than done. The school board has a built-in following of parents, grandparents, other relatives, businesspeople, nonprofits, etc., etc., i have no illusions. This levy will pass, and the core members of the board will remain.

All i can do is register my objection.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”