Council President Dan O'Malley

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Brian Essi holds a unique position in or civic life. Council members and Administration-- whenever you take an action, just ask yourself--what would Brian Essi's reaction be? Thanks Brian for you civic involvement. Enjoy your fishing! Stan

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 pm

I would suggest that the "non-partisan" nature of Lakewood has not served the voters very well.

We now have a "uni-party" system where only Democrats govern in the majority of years and they have a litigated record of being largely insensitive to openness, transparency and ethics-in-government or legitimacy of governmental process.

I think this was pretty well-demonstrated in the public interest litigation against the city between 2015 and 2018.

I am confident that the new administration and the 2020 city council will do better on these kinds of fundamentals.

We can all thank Brian Essi for forcing the City of Lakewood via the courts to comply with Ohio law and improve its processes for the release of public records.

In my book, a very significant accomplishment -- greater than anything he could do serving on council.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:We can all thank Brian Essi for forcing the City of Lakewood via the courts to comply with Ohio law and improve its processes for the release of public records.

In my book, a very significant accomplishment -- greater than anything he could do serving on council.

Mark

I agree 100%.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind. Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

It's not a question of money. I have gladly voted for every levy since I moved here in '83, and I would have gladly vored for this one too. My problem is with how decisions are being made - transparency. I recall the clinic in the high school and the selection of Dr. Barnes (a very good choice, but one that didn't follow procedures). This is all very similar to city government.

Vote them out? Easier said than done. The school board has a built-in following of parents, grandparents, other relatives, businesspeople, nonprofits, etc., etc., i have no illusions. This levy will pass, and the core members of the board will remain.

All i can do is register my objection.

"Protest votes" helped get us where we are today in what remains of the federal government.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:(Jim, I'll get back to you about the school levy later.)

You will never change my mind.

Questions about money or how it is being spent, vote the Board out, do not strangle the students.

It's not a question of money. I have gladly voted for every levy since I moved here in '83, and I would have gladly vored for this one too. My problem is with how decisions are being made - transparency. I recall the clinic in the high school and the selection of Dr. Barnes (a very good choice, but one that didn't follow procedures). This is all very similar to city government.

Vote them out? Easier said than done. The school board has a built-in following of parents, grandparents, other relatives, businesspeople, nonprofits, etc., etc., i have no illusions. This levy will pass, and the core members of the board will remain.

All i can do is register my objection.

Dan

Actually you hit on something here, so let me work with your set up.

What Council went through and how we ended up with Dr. Barnes is amazingly similar. Both were basically a hiring. Both came with over ten applicants, many of the applicants had friends or at least fans but the time the first meeting happened. Through every method good and bad you can think of, discussions are made, deals are made, people agree to drop people to push a favorite forward. The that favorite is gone in next discussion so new alliances are made. In the end, with Dr, Barnes he moved through based on credentials, started as not the favorite but earned the BOE's votes and confidence. Likewise the same went on here at council. More like a Caucus, than a vote.

I would say to both the BOE and Council's credit, both final were with people that were rarely mentioned at any point in the process. However it would appear that Council-At-Large Kapple has many more connections in the process than Dr. Barnes did.

I find it so odd that, there was a strong FitzGerald/Summers/O'Leary contingent working the process. Every once in a while I heard a name surface and some conversations about their history, or whatever. At no point did her name ever pop up, and I know who was whose favorites in the process.

Let's touch the BOE and Levy for a quick second. Maybe, just maybe we need candidates. Mike Callahan walked through the door at the election. Hell he was a solid winner the day he announced. His backing from parents is amazing. I had heard about this miracle sports administration figure three years before I ever met him. People that can agree on nothing agreed Callahan would be great for the schools. That is what is needed. A person with passion, drive and ideas, heating up the process.

To me the only BOE member that has delivered the goods for the people of Lakewood is Ed Favre. He has been in the open in nearly every thing I have ever seen him post, or heard him answer to others. Everyone has beliefs and agendas, including Ed Favre, but he is not running a back deal through the schools. Now then, the Clinic at the High School. I had the pleasure(?) of attending all of the public meetings for the new High School. The "clinic" small c, was always in the plans, at the size it was at. There was no CCF on it but it was there. The Family Fitness Center which I thought was silly, but now as a member I see the value was the after thought.

Levies in general. Mike was right and most long time Deck members understand the BS the entire state is locked into having to go for levy every 4-6 years. Here in Lakewood we have been blessed that they generally run longer, though its the kids that always pay in the long run. The problem is as seen here, in the 80s-90s, when a school levy fails, they often fail for the next 4-10 elections. By the time the community really understands the problems, the cut backs to students, literally the only place they can cut, is immense and harmful. When I say the only place they can cut, is because teachers, administrations, services are bound by contracts with incentives, health care, pensions, etc. So the cuts come from what students get. Senior teachers cut for new teachers, programs become more and more pay to participate.

Now take these financial pressures and pull them out for 5, 10, 15 years, and you are looking at a school system about to fail. And here is the punchline, if the school system fails, property values go to hell, people move, and the burden increases. One of the very best facts I have read, is that property values, sustainability, and vibrancy in this case people moving in, is largely based on schools, safety and location.

We built $125 million in state of the art buildings, to not spend the money to fill them would be foolish. It would be like buying a Ferrari and skimping on the gas.

FWIW

Support the levy for the kids.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

For the record, I am not advocating that other people vote against the levy. This is not a campaign, but an individual saying where he stands.

If the levy were to fail the first time, I would vote for it the inevitable second time. I know what's good for the kids, for Lakewood and for myself.

Thanks for the explanation, Jim.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley:

So Dan, how do you end the conversation with someone who presides over an all white City Council in Lakewood in 2020?
The conversation about diversity and inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

A week later, how do you end that conversation with someone who had an open seat to fill on City Council and went all in, all in on "the next white person up". And by doing so denied a qualified woman of color the opportunity to have a seat at table, to be in a position of power, to bring the strength of diversity to Lakewood City Council.

I'll start here ...

What you and John Litten and Tristan Rader and the rest did, was wrong. Blatant, going out of your way wrong. You had plenty of time to encourage and recruit qualified persons of color. You had in front of you a qualified person of color. The moment was there, right in front of you. And given the historic and current makeup of Lakewood City Council, you could have, you should have, made a difference. You should have mattered.

Instead you went back to the familiar, back to what was comfortable. Back to the one constant in Lakewood politics, that atavistic response ... 'Keep it White'. "Keep it like us". Sending a clear and ugly message - Not those people. Not at our table. Not on our watch.

Systemic racism- we're good with that.
"Crain's 40 under 40" - we'll catch you at the next photo-op.

A defining moment Dan. That moment when you, Litten, Rader and the rest, slammed the door shut on diversity and inclusion. A moment that defines you and them.

I'll end here ...

Lakewood City Council President Dan O' Malley:

That next photo-op, (and it's just a matter of time), the one with the person of color standing next to you, the person of color who'll never sit on Lakewood City Council, when that opportunity presents itself Dan, do us all a favor and spare us the big grin and the arm around the shoulder. Because we know that you know that the joke's on them.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley.

So Dan, A year and a half later, with three contested seats up for grabs on city council, where do you pick up on the conversation about diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council? Where do you pick up on that conversation with someone who, by choice, presides over an all white city council?

Maybe we start here - with a photograph and an observation.

The photo is found on Councilperson Kepple's facebook page. It's a photo of ''Sarah's Super Supporters who contributed to the Kick in for Kepple'' event at The Bottlehouse Brewery.

In attendence - Well you were there, Dan, and so were State Senator Antonio, State Representative Skindell, Tristan Rader, and John Litten.

Take a good look - all of them the product of Lakewood's all-white City Council culture. Next white person up culture. All of them endorsing only white candidates for City Council. And Dan, congrats, I believe you lead the way, supporting three white candidates for the three seats available on City Council. The politics of exclusion in Lakewood... Naked. No apologies. Just The Machine on continual loop. Over and over again. The all-white government - entrenched - the accepted norm. Those in power reserving seats for those like them.

To date, no politician at "The Kick in for Kepple" event has endorsed Laura Rodriguez-Carbone, (a Crains 40 under 40 and who currently, among her other obligations, is co-chair of Lakewood's Anti-Racism Task Force). A more than qualified woman of color who wants a seat at the table, who has something to say, and who wants her voice heard. A year and a half later that's still a No from Dan O'Malley and the others. And this continues to have the stench of systemic racism to it. And it continues to be a growing stain on Lakewood.

Of note, Laura Rodriguez-Carbone is endorsed by New American Leaders Action Fund, Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus, Our Revolution Ohio, Matriots, Primary Ohio, and Run for Something.

Senator Antonio, Representative Skindell - an invitation extended... Lead.

Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices heard on Lakewood City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity to city government.

Endorse Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Support Laura Rodriguez-Carbone.

Step up and help break the deplorable cycle of all-white governance in Lakewood.

" The time is always right to do what is right."

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:18 pm

m buckley wrote:Lakewood City Council President Dan O'Malley.

So Dan, A year and a half later, with three contested seats up for grabs on city council, where do you pick up on the conversation about diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council? Where do you pick up on that conversation with someone who, by choice, presides over an all white city council?

Maybe we start here - with a photograph and an observation.

The photo is found on Councilperson Kepple's facebook page. It's a photo of ''Sarah's Super Supporters who contributed to the Kick in for Kepple'' event at The Bottlehouse Brewery.

In attendence - Well you were there, Dan, and so were State Senator Antonio, State Representative Skindell, Tristan Rader, and John Litten.

Take a good look - all of them the product of Lakewood's all-white City Council culture. Next white person up culture. All of them endorsing only white candidates for City Council. And Dan, congrats, I believe you lead the way, supporting three white candidates for the three seats available on City Council. The politics of exclusion in Lakewood... Naked. No apologies. Just The Machine on continual loop. Over and over again. The all-white government - entrenched - the accepted norm. Those in power reserving seats for those like them.

To date, no politician at "The Kick in for Kepple" event has endorsed Laura Rodriguez-Carbone, (a Crains 40 under 40 and who currently, among her other obligations, is co-chair of Lakewood's Anti-Racism Task Force). A more than qualified woman of color who wants a seat at the table, who has something to say, and who wants her voice heard. A year and a half later that's still a No from Dan O'Malley and the others. And this continues to have the stench of systemic racism to it. And it continues to be a growing stain on Lakewood.

Of note, Laura Rodriguez-Carbone is endorsed by New American Leaders Action Fund, Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus, Our Revolution Ohio, Matriots, Primary Ohio, and Run for Something.

Senator Antonio, Representative Skindell - an invitation extended... Lead.

Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices heard on Lakewood City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity to city government.

Endorse Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Support Laura Rodriguez-Carbone.

Step up and help break the deplorable cycle of all-white governance in Lakewood.

" The time is always right to do what is right."

Hello,

I don't want to speak for other people but I think some of those you mention are supporting Laura. The fact that I haven't endorsed her is not a reflection of my feelings toward her at all - if she is elected I would be proud to serve with her. Sarah Kepple and Tristan Rader are outstanding councilmembers and deserve to be re-elected and Kyle Baker brings a unique skillset that our council could really use at this point in our history.

Your point about representation is well-taken and I understand it completely. Diversity is important and I am evidence of that personally. Also I have said before I believe I have appointed more POC to Lakewood boards and commissions than any councilmember in Lakewood history.

Dan O'Malley
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:46 am

So Dan, where does one continue the conversation about diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council with someone who, by choice, presides over an all-white City Council? Someone who is currently exclusively endorsing white candidates for 3 positions on City Council.

Let's start with actions and the language used to excuse them. With the language you leaned on in 2020 with an open seat to fill.

Let's start with you floating that "right person" narrative, that false narrative. With Sarah Kepple waiting in the wings - the next right/white person up and Laura Rodriguez-Carbone wanting a seat at the table. And you choosing that moment to float junk, 'Right Person' junk. When we both know that there is never only one Right Person. There's always a group of candidates from whom to chose, if you are open to identifying them and to opening the door. If you're open to making a difference.

But that door was never going to be opened, Dan, certainly not by you. That door has been shut tight in Lakewood since Day One. Because Lakewood City Council is always in search of that next White Person up. And although I'm not surprised, I am disappointed by your words, words used to excuse, to give cover, to continue the culture of systemic racism at City Council.

That was a year and a half ago, Dan, when there was only one open seat on city council that you got to fill. And now August 2021 - and I continue to be disappointed by your words, by your actions. You talk diversity, equity and inclusion but you fail to act. Less than 2 years, 4 endorsements - All White. That's quite a scorecard, Dan.

There are three seats up for grabs this election. Three opportunities for you to ensure that power is shared. Three opportunities for you to acknowledge that because of City Council's historic and current lack of diversity, significant and important voices are not heard in our city. And given the weight of the moment, it's staggering that you're all in on - Kepple/WHITE. Baker/WHITE. Rader/WHITE. A year and a half later we're left with you failing again to embrace the opportunity, failing again to add diversity to City Council. Failing to take the steps necesssary to dismatle systemic racism.

Your stated justifications are, again, ridiculously flawed.

You say two white incumbents you endorse are doing a good job, so should keep their seats. If you had given Laura Rodriguez-Carbone a chance I wonder what you'd be saying today. This is an election. Incumbents, even if you admire them, don't get to automatically retain their seats. With this line of thinking we will continue with an all white council for the next century - since Lakewood Council won't appoint a person of color to a vacancy, and those white incumbents continue to get endorsed, get to continue to occupy those seats. Exclusion begets exclusion.

You say the third white candidate you endorse has "a unique skillset that council could really use at this point in our history." I gather that neither of the two incubments you support has this "unique" skillset. Yet they get a pass. I have a hard time imagining that there is a more important skillset for our city "at this point in history" than the experience, knowledge and skills presented by Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. She is a 1st generation Puerto Rican American whose lived experience includes leveraging community programs to escape poverty, earn a bachelor's and graduate degree, and become an award winning community advocate. Our city faces considerable challenges, especially now, in light of COVID and our country's reckoning with our racist past and present. Surely Laura Rodriguez-Carbone is uniquely qualified to help lead us to our better future.

All those white endorsements, Dan. "Right person", "Unique skillset". White person, White skillset.
Systemic racism.

Again, I ask the political leaders in Lakewood to open the door to a highly qualified community leader. End the all-white era of Lakewood City Council. Support Laura Rodriguez-Carbone for City Council.

Finally - Dan, you trumpet that you have appointed people of color to commissions and boards. That's great (by the way welcome to the 21st century). But that is not where the power lies and that's not what this is about. And we both know that. The power resides in the mayor's office and City Council. Continuing to exclude people of color from the true seats of power in Lakewood is abhorrent and a growing stain on our city.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:02 am

So Dan, two years later, with yet another open seat on city council to fill, where do you pick up the conversation about diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

Let's start here and let's keep it simple.
It is wrong that Lakewood's City Council continues to be an exclusive all white club. It is a disservice to all of Lakewood. It is a reflection of, a result of, systemic racism.

Dan, you have been given yet another opportunity to address this. This time, do it. Take an important step toward an inclusive Lakewood.

In Laura Rodriguez-Carbone you have a candidate who is a first generation Puerto Rican American whose lived experience includes leveraging community programs to escape poverty, earn a bachelor's and graduate degree, and become an award winning community advocate.

Dan O'Malley, Tristan Rader, John Litten and the rest of Lakewood City Council - Open the doors to inclusion. Open the doors to diversity. Make Lakewood a better place.

Appoint Laura Rodriguez-Carbone.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:43 am

Mark is 100% right. It’s time to do the right thing FOR LAKEWOOD.

My prediction? A certain WHITE MALE will be appointed. History repeats itself when you don’t learn from it.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 am

Just two points:

Laura Rodriguez- Carbone is uniquely qualified to fill this vacant council position. Why?

1. In the last election, she was the only candidate that actually had a written position statement that went beyond the typical fluff; and,

2. Her professional position with the United States Government in Health and Human Services would be of crucial value to this community during this historic, continuing, and unabated pandemic.

No one is more qualified.

Ms. Rodriguez-Carbone is the optimum candidate. Always was the optimum candidate.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 pm

I completely agree with Mark.

History will be the judge of this appointment.
Does this City Council want to be remembered for inclusion, or for "standing in the school house door"?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:38 am

I always found it curious that appointments to council always ignored those candidates that put their money where their mouth was and actually ran for the position. Instead, someone sweeps in out of the blue, or from behind the back door, and gets appointed.

In this immediate case, Laura Rodriguez Carbone had waged a rather productive campaign for office, garnering enough votes in an election close enough that a recount was done. Bullock, an incumbent, had a challenger within 65 votes. So clearly, she has support in the community. Why choose someone who didn’t spend the time, effort, and money to actually run for the job?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”