Council President Dan O'Malley

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan OMalley

Re: Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby Dan OMalley » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:I always found it curious that appointments to council always ignored those candidates that put their money where their mouth was and actually ran for the position. Instead, someone sweeps in out of the blue, or from behind the back door, and gets appointed.

In this immediate case, Laura Rodriguez Carbone had waged a rather productive campaign for office, garnering enough votes in an election close enough that a recount was done. Bullock, an incumbent, had a challenger within 65 votes. So clearly, she has support in the community. Why choose someone who didn’t spend the time, effort, and money to actually run for the job?

Fair point. FYI three of the four applicants for this vacancy have run for city council.

Dan O'Malley
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:23 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:
History will be the judge of this appointment.
Does this City Council want to be remembered for inclusion, or for "standing in the school house door"?

That's what it comes down to.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:47 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:I always found it curious that appointments to council always ignored those candidates that put their money where their mouth was and actually ran for the position. Instead, someone sweeps in out of the blue, or from behind the back door, and gets appointed.

In this immediate case, Laura Rodriguez Carbone had waged a rather productive campaign for office, garnering enough votes in an election close enough that a recount was done. Bullock, an incumbent, had a challenger within 65 votes. So clearly, she has support in the community. Why choose someone who didn’t spend the time, effort, and money to actually run for the job?

Fair point. FYI three of the four applicants for this vacancy have run for city council.

But, to Ms. Conant's actual point .... none received nearly as many votes as Laura Rodriguez Carbone.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”