Purse Snatching

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

pj bennett

Purse Snatching

Postby pj bennett » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:00 am

I bumped into a friend yesterday, and while catching up, she mentioned that her purse had been snatched earlier this week. It occurred sometime between checking out at Giant Eagle and walking to her car.

She went to the BMV to get a replacement driver's license, and when the clerk found out that my friend lived in Lakewood, she was told that she was the 3rd woman from Lakewood THAT DAY to request the need for a driver's license due to their purses being snatched.

Be careful out there. Be watchful. Please keep a tight grip on your purses and bags.

Amy Martin

Re: Purse Snatching

Postby Amy Martin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Purse snatchings, carjackings . . . .seems like nobody cares

Pam Wetula

Postby Pam Wetula » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Thank you Amy and PJ for letting us know what is going on! Apparently, the city isn't highlighting this information.

We need to know both the good AND the bad so we can enjoy AND be aware, as appropriate.

Pam
Last edited by Pam Wetula on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:11 am

Just to clarify....did these incidents happen at the Giant Eagle in Lakewood?

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 am

I live close to Giant Eagle and right off of Detroit. We have a very long driveway and the garage is behind the house. There was absolutely NO reason for anyone to follow me up the driveway . . .

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:25 am

Michael Deneen wrote:Just to clarify....did these incidents happen at the Giant Eagle in Lakewood?

I don't know where the other incidents occurred. My friend was told, by the clerk at BMV, that she was not the only person from Lakewood.

Pam Wetula wrote:Apparently, the city isn't highlighting this information.

The city is only going to know, IF the victim of the purse snatching or any other crime, files a police report.
Unless it's a huge loss, some folks might not file because they don't want to 'bother' the police.
Or, they are a little ashamed for not being more vigilant.

If a report isn't filed, there's no way for the police to know that this, or any other crime, is happening.

If only folks would file a report, and the police noticed that the incidents were in a fairly localized area, then the word could get out.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:29 am

I just got additional information.

Turns out, that BMV told my friend, that there must be a gang operating in both Lakewood and Rocky River. That there's been a large increase of people (in both cities) having to replace their driver's licenses due to theft.

Just be vigilant, so that it doesn't happen to you.

'Tis the season....

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”