Lakewood Jail Troubles

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Michael Deneen

Re: Lakewood Jail Troubles

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Can’t say I’m shocked....the current administration proudly stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Armond Budish, whose record on this issue is abominable.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Reserving serious comment until I learn more, but...

When does an elected siting judicial official seek external federal or state oversight, if everything is normal?

That letter sticks-out like a sore-thumb, like it was obviously meant to.

Hope one of the recipients takes the time to post a copy here.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Did the city ever put in place the security the judge was asking for?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Reserving serious comment until I learn more, but...

When does an elected siting judicial official seek external federal or state oversight, if everything is normal?

That letter sticks-out like a sore-thumb, like it was obviously meant to.

Hope one of the recipients takes the time to post a copy here.

Mark

This strikes me as a last resort from Judge Carroll. Knowing the Judge, I would bet he went to the Police Chief, then the Mayor, then Law Director through conversations, though there might be earlier letters. When that failed, the letters went to City Council, and when that did not get any attention letters went to the media. We got ours on Friday.

From Municipal Judge Pat Carroll

Chief Malley,

Thank you for your reports on the investigations of both the prisoner who was permitted to be released from a lockdown facility while in the custody of the Lakewood Police and the recent discovery of illegal use of controlled drugs by prisoners in the Lakewood jail. As I indicated in my prior email about the illegal use of drugs while in the Lakewood jail, I was disappointed that, in light of the defendants involved being in jail awaiting sentencing with substance abuse related issues, the information drug use in jail was withheld from the court.

Absent from your findings concerning the prisoner who was allowed to walk out of a lock down facility, is that it was the court staff that questioned the length of hospital stay and contacted the hospital to discover the defendant had been released. During this time the police continued to inform the court on a daily basis with no verification that the defendant was still in the hospital. I would suggest as part of the police procedure to make periodic checks on the status of a prisoner when in the hospital.

Regarding both situations, I am concerned about the lack of any duty to report or oversight beyond the police department itself in either of the revised police policies.

In light of these two, separate serious incidents within a short, two week period, and in the interest of public safety, public confidence, and transparency, I would respectfully suggest as the Chief of Police or Mayor Summers as the Safety Director, that the matters be referred to the United States Marshals’ Office, the Ohio Attorney General, or some other outside law enforcement agency for an independent review of the Lakewood Jail policies.

Patrick Carroll, Judge Lakewood Court (from a PR request)

Sent by email November 19, 2019 to Chief Malley, Mayor Summers, Law Director Butler, and all current members of Council

Like in the doorway metal detectors which have been installed, finally. The Judge asked for help from outside, aka the media.

To me this is troubling on many levels, possibly the least is the prisoner walking away while at the hospital.

What is the worst part is that it got this far, and as noted by Mr. Kindt, to go publicly on the record with this, means the Judge see deep issues here. Why we can talk about the Election Hangover, and people somewhat out of sorts the fact that The Mayor, The Law Director (both gone in weeks) City Council President (gone in weeks) and City Council, mostly here for 2 or more years did nothing.

Trust me, any response from any of them would have pushed the letter back if not canceled the entire need for it.

At the same time there has been a slight tussle between the Judge, The Mayor and the Police Chief that surrounds, his wanting the FREE metal detectors at the door, AFTER his life was threatened not only by 2 guys serving jail sentences for doing it, and being stalked by a few of Lakewood's favorite assholes. With prosecutors doing little to stand in the way of the harassment.

Stay tuned, as this will surely be pushed back to after January 1, and the new Administrators arrive.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:...Mayor Summers as the Safety Director...

Does the Mayor as Safety Director grasp the job. Is he clueless?
Does the Law Director even consider Lakewood a daily priority, excepting his obfuscation of the hospital deal?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm

cmager wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:...Mayor Summers as the Safety Director...

Does the Mayor as Safety Director grasp the job. Is he clueless?
Does the Law Director even consider Lakewood a daily priority, excepting his obfuscation of the hospital deal?

CM

I would say no. He is not clueless, but I go back to a conversation I had with Mayor Madeline Cain back in her days. They found a WW1 bomb in the house across the street from me. It was not a dud. The bomb squad came and I joked about calling Chanel 8, "Boy if I call WJW I could win a free coffee cup." Mayor Cain was aghast! "Why would you do that?" She then went on to explain that one of her jobs, was to retain housing values for all of us and bad news drives down housing values. While I didn't understand at the time, I mean property values or a WJW Coffee Mug? You can see the dilemma.

But then as we look back, Westside Rapists took the Mayor nearly 3 weeks to mention he was working Lakewood. And there have been other problems. Also problems with the Mayor sticking his nose into prosecutions etc. would indicate he couldn't wrap his head around both jobs.

I would say a great majority of City Hall officials have shown their true color to Lakewoodites. Stories coming out of how they are going to leave their affairs...

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Stories coming out of how they are going to leave their affairs...

That’s gonna be interesting.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”