Rumored changein trash pickup sked this week

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Rumored changein trash pickup sked this week

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:58 pm

I saw a note by an unreliable source that the city was moving up its trash pickup this week by one day. This kind of poor communication has long been a complaint of mine and hopefully it will be addressed by the new administration. Usually no one knows for sure and half the street puts out the trash early while the other half does on the regular day. Can anyone clarify?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan OMalley

Re: Rumored changein trash pickup sked this week

Postby Dan OMalley » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:I saw a note by an unreliable source that the city was moving up its trash pickup this week by one day. This kind of poor communication has long been a complaint of mine and hopefully it will be addressed by the new administration. Usually no one knows for sure and half the street puts out the trash early while the other half does on the regular day. Can anyone clarify?

Dan -

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday pickups will be a day earlier. Monday and Friday pickups are/were the normal schedule: http://www.onelakewood.com/thanksgiving ... ollection/

Dan O'Malley
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:06 am

Dan OMalley wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:I saw a note by an unreliable source that the city was moving up its trash pickup this week by one day. This kind of poor communication has long been a complaint of mine and hopefully it will be addressed by the new administration. Usually no one knows for sure and half the street puts out the trash early while the other half does on the regular day. Can anyone clarify?

Dan -

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday pickups will be a day earlier. Monday and Friday pickups are/were the normal schedule: http://www.onelakewood.com/thanksgiving ... ollection/

Many thanks, Dan
I put my trash out, but I hope that is not the end of it.
When I went out with the dogs around 10, I counted no more than a dozen houses with their trash cans out on our fairly long block. Usually on the night before trash day, it's at least 70-80% of the houses at that same time. Putting it on the website is not sufficient, nor is relying on any one kind of electronic media - not everyone uses it.
I'm pretty aware of what's going on in the City, so I knew where to bring up the topic for an answer, but it appears to me that the City has a communications problem on its hands. On my street, a few more houses will put out their trash in the morning when they go out and see what their neighbors have done, but the majority will wait until the next night. And the City will make a second pass to pick up those trash bins. Whatever the reasoning is for doing it early, that defeats the purpose.
Trash pickup isn't the only communications issue. For instance, it would be a good idea to alert residents to the fireworks that will be set off on the evening of Dec. 7 in case they need to prepare in any way. The recycling program continues to have a need for more widespread information.
In the scope of things, this is low-hanging fruit, but maybe it could be picked by the new administration.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 am

The city must have adjusted as our pickup (Tuesday) didn't change at all. Nobody on our street put anything out on Sunday night, all was put out on Monday night, and the pickup has begun early this AM as it normally does.

That said, I have long thought there needs to be a central "virtual" bulletin board run by the city to post important information. OneLakewood.com does not update itself enough and the notes in the water bill are both easily thrown out and there are many residents of Lakewood who don't get a direct water bill. Why is it so hard to have one place to go to for up to date, accurate city information?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”