Nature’s Bin Constantino’s to Become Brewery

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Nature’s Bin Constantino’s to Become Brewery

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm

In keeping with its quest to be the “Healthiest City in America,” the city will welcome its latest brewery at the old Nature’s Bin site on Sloan.

The owner is the son of the man who owns Constantino’s, Andrew Revy.

The owner claims this will be the city’s first brewery, seemingly unaware of BottleHouse Brewery on Madison. (Disclaimer: the beer isn’t brewed onsite)

https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/11/20/immigrant-son-lakewoods-first-and-only-brewery-to-open-this-spring?utm_source=featurefollow&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=hpfeatures&utm_content=HomeFeaturedStoriesCustomMobile

Michael Deneen

Re: Nature’s Bin Constantino’s to Become Brewery

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 am

So now we'll have the "Nature's Bin Brewery" to go along with the "Little League Beer Garden".
Thanks Team Summers!

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 am

Also, the Birdtown Brewery project has continually pushed back their opening date and now appears to be stalled.

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:33 am

Michael Deneen wrote:So now we'll have the "Nature's Bin Brewery" to go along with the "Little League Beer Garden".
Thanks Team Summers!

Would it be better for those locations to be empty? Personally, I don't think so. Would I rather have something more exciting and different? Sure. But if the alternative is to have those locations sit vacant, I definitely would rather have those legal businesses there than nothing at all.

JMHO

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 am

Birdtown Brewery gained City approval in mid-2014 and they purchased the vacant church. They installed tanks and remodeled but kept pushing back the opening date from 2017 on.

Cannot find any further information. I’d guess since we are coming up on SIX years, the project flopped. Can’t find a thing on that awful city website.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 am

this does not appear to be something the city is funding. unless the business is getting a special tax abatement that other businesses do not get.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am

Matthew Lee wrote:
Michael Deneen wrote:So now we'll have the "Nature's Bin Brewery" to go along with the "Little League Beer Garden".
Thanks Team Summers!

Would it be better for those locations to be empty? Personally, I don't think so. Would I rather have something more exciting and different? Sure. But if the alternative is to have those locations sit vacant, I definitely would rather have those legal businesses there than nothing at all.

JMHO

Correct, Cities generally cannot keep up with change and so become terrible developers, so I favor organic.

At the same time, a city based on bars and food will soon run its course. At least it has always been a quick bandaid on a long term problem. Diversity, is the key to and long term.

As we prepare for the next food and dinning guide the amount of new and enlarge places is impressive, kind of. ecause it is also offset by places that closed or were still born.

Time will tell, and if history teaches us anything, enjoy them while they are here,

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Can Dan O’Malley update us on Birdtown Brewery since it’s his his Ward?

I don't have much of an update on the Birdtown Brewery and frankly I've stopped asking. My impression is that the proprietors - who also own the very successful Barrio restaurant chain - are extremely busy with other projects. And the market has become more saturated with microbreweries since this project was initially conceptualized, so it doesn't seem to be as much of a priority for them as it may have been once. However, they do seem to be slowly making progress. Neighbors periodically report they notice equipment being carried in, significant construction taking place, etc. At this point, I won't make any predictions on it until I'm actually sitting inside having a beer.

Dan O'Malley
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:Can Dan O’Malley update us on Birdtown Brewery since it’s his his Ward?

I don't have much of an update on the Birdtown Brewery and frankly I've stopped asking. My impression is that the proprietors - who also own the very successful Barrio restaurant chain - are extremely busy with other projects. And the market has become more saturated with microbreweries since this project was initially conceptualized, so it doesn't seem to be as much of a priority for them as it may have been once. However, they do seem to be slowly making progress. Neighbors periodically report they notice equipment being carried in, significant construction taking place, etc. At this point, I won't make any predictions on it until I'm actually sitting inside having a beer.

Thanks for the info.

But are they on any sort of timeline to comply with city building codes, etc?

I thought the project required approval, in which case, wouldn’t follow be appropriate?

There was some discussion on social media that they were selling off equipment.

Finally, if they don’t move forward, what becomes of the property?

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

Thanks for the info.

But are they on any sort of timeline to comply with city building codes, etc?

I thought the project required approval, in which case, wouldn’t follow be appropriate?

Correct. They have what's called a "conditional use" permit and the conditions are several. The permit also has an expiration date, which has been renewed, and they must continue to demonstrate their intentions of opening, demonstrate compliance with our code, and will continue to do so once the place actually opens (we've placed special restrictions on this establishment, e.g. hours of operation). I am not sure where they are timeline-wise with the current permit but will find out.

Dan O'Malley
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Matthew Lee wrote:
Thanks Team Summers!

JMHO

Kate can speak to the issue better than I, but the folks on Edwards Avenue would prefer that the "Little League Beer Garden" site stay vacant.
This City Hall (as evidenced by O'Leary's failed $150,000 campaign) loves to brag about new development in Lakewood.
However, most of it is just more "bars and restaurants" that cannibalize our existing businesses.

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:51 am

Brad Presutto wrote:Did Scene magazine not consider Bottlehouse Brewery not a brewery?

Bottlehouse does not brew on premise. They brew in Cleveland Heights and bring it to Lakewood so the Lakewood location is, technically, not a brewery.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”