Is it just me...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Is it just me...

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:38 am

... or was this one of the more fascinating local elections to re-cap in recent years?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Re: Is it just me...

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am

There’s so much more to analyze!

Like the fact that O’Leary lost his own ward.

That we haven’t seen all the finance reports to see where the money came from and who helped (at least on paper.)

I imagine lots more goodies to come.

cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 am

Bridget,

Where are you able to see the results of each ward? Living in ward 2, I haven't seen hide nor hair of Sam in years! Not a wonder people were searching for an alternative to him.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 pm

I don't want to take the time to analyze it but if the difference was the same or more than the margin of victory, that means O'Leary was defeated by the ward he represents. I said awhile ago that this election was about Ward 2. That Jason Shachner, who was perceived by many to be on the Summers team (and I'm not saying he was, at least not in the end), won the watd, shows the voters' rejection of Sam's campaign.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Dan, When Jason Shachner knocked on my door and introduced himself, I asked him right off, what he thought of Summers and O'Leary. He smiled and replied that he liked them. I replied, "Strike 1."

That set him back a bit.
We talked a bit more, and he went on to say that he's a prosecutor.
I replied, "That's too bad. Strike 2. "
(I explained to him my reasoning.)

We talked some more, but we were obviously standing on opposite sides of the fence.

Whether or not he changed allegiances at the end, I have no idea.
But frankly, why would he? Like many, he probably trusted that Sam was a shoo-in.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm

I recall one conversation we had where the hospital came up. He said something about nostalgia, and I said no, I hardly ever went there and I was more concerned about the loss of 1500 jobs to the city. That was the end of the conversation, but I could tell he was thinking about it.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:I don't want to take the time to analyze it but if the difference was the same or more than the margin of victory, that means O'Leary was defeated by the ward he represents. I said awhile ago that this election was about Ward 2. That Jason Shachner, who was perceived by many to be on the Summers team (and I'm not saying he was, at least not in the end), won the ward, shows the voters' rejection of Sam's campaign.

I now have the numbers. O'Leary lost Ward 2 by 148 votes. He lost the city by 165 votes, so if he had one all 148 votes it would be enough to trigger an automatic recount, but not change the results of the election.

Sam's most visible role was president of council, but his primary job was to represent Ward 2. As Cameron said, he has been like a ghost around these parts. I think Jason will do better.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:04 pm

pj bennett wrote:Dan, When Jason Shachner knocked on my door and introduced himself, I asked him right off, what he thought of Summers and O'Leary. He smiled and replied that he liked them. I replied, "Strike 1."

That set him back a bit.
We talked a bit more, and he went on to say that he's a prosecutor.
I replied, "That's too bad. Strike 2. "
(I explained to him my reasoning.)

We talked some more, but we were obviously standing on opposite sides of the fence.

Whether or not he changed allegiances at the end, I have no idea.
But frankly, why would he? Like many, he probably trusted that Sam was a shoo-in.

Why is being a prosecutor a negative for you? No criticism, I just don't understand.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:59 pm

being a prosecutor can demonstrate basic governmental qualifications for an elective office, but-- it can also present an ideological identification that can be problematical.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Stan Austin wrote:being a prosecutor can demonstrate basic governmental qualifications for an elective office, but-- it can also present an ideological identification that can be problematical.

Well said, Stan!

Now, to answer Dan..... even if Jason had said something else, I would have probably still said ' Strike 2.' It was the mood I was in. I engaged him for quite awhile in conversation, and though trying not to show it, he was anxious to get on with his canvassing. He was a good sport.

You'd understand, if you'd been there. I also engaged Brad Prescutto for quite awhile. As I did, Tom Bullock on his first campaign.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:37 am

A comment about Councilman Shachner. I would encourage you to clean the slate from what you think you know and give him a clean base to work from.

I think Jason said it best when he said to me, "I am not part of any group, I think for myself, and I love Lakewood." His participation in the secret government's candidates was just in passing. While they encourage him to run, then did not help him, and early on he realized there was baggage with that. Instead of turning his back on anyone, he pushed ahead with his unique story.

When it comes to candidates I spoke with them all but old friend Tom Einhouse. In the council races Jason was the best prepared, most open, most willing to meet and explain things, and to say the boy is sharp is an understatement. Brad Presutto would have probably won against O'Leary had he run for council. I think we will hear a lot from Jason in the future.

Tess Neff should also be given a clean slate, with one eye on her association with Secret Government's biggest ASSet. But Tess long for replacing Judge Carroll when he retires. I do not see her being controversial. I do not see her alienating anyone that could vote. Again, Laura Rodrigeuz-Carbone had an uphill battle against a known name. Both Tess and her husband have worked for the City in the past. While Laura could have added so much to council, with her knack of processing, understanding, and working on public policies, I have known of Tess since the start of the paper, and she adds to council in other ways. At the same time she can provide the "others" of what is happening on Council, and maybe that will add in them standing back and trying to live in Lakewood instead of trying to run every aspect of Lakewood life.

Out of all of the other candidates Jeff Wise and John Litten I had the least contact with. In my honest opinion John needs to talk a little more, trust a little more. I think this will happen with the slow roll-over in the Administration and an opening of policies. I spoke with Jeff Wise for about 3 hours one day. Fascinating conversation, but then I like realtors, especially realtors that see a bright future for Lakewood.

I do hope that Laura, Jeff and Brad stay in the public eye, and help the city in the coming months and years.

While we did not get the massive shift to transparency and accountability I hoped for, I believe the community did OK.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 am

His participation in the secret government's candidates was just in passing. While they encourage him to run,

Oh yeah, I believe that. :roll:

I call bull$hit. Come on, you have a group approach you about a campaign flyer and the group is a recently formed PAC attempting to influence the election and is headed and run by the old guard and you choose to participate knowing that? Knowing that there is controversy about the group’s motives, knowing that other candidates are refusing to participate? And you go ahead with it anyway?

Don’t tell me he’s his own man.

Brad Presutto

Postby Brad Presutto » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:30 am

Bridget Conant wrote:
His participation in the secret government's candidates was just in passing. While they encourage him to run,

Oh yeah, I believe that. :roll:

I call bull$hit. Come on, you have a group approach you about a campaign flyer and the group is a recently formed PAC attempting to influence the election and is headed and run by the old guard and you choose to participate knowing that? Knowing that there is controversy about the group’s motives, knowing that other candidates are refusing to participate? And you go ahead with it anyway?

Don’t tell me he’s his own man.

To be fair, we don't know if he filled out the form. The information they provided was generic and could have been pulled right off his website without him completing it; and knowing the group who orchestrated it, that's a real possibility.

Additionally, he is already willing to help me with a project I was working on with a resident. He could have easily told me that elections have consequences and ignored my request.

I think Jim & Dan's assessment is fair. While he may have originated from the Summers group, I think he was able to utilize that base of support to forge his own path. I am cautiously optimistic that he will be more focused on constituent services than previous Ward 2 reps and hope to see him fulfill his campaign promise of always being transparent with his decision making.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 am

Well maybe he will realize where sticking with that cabal got Bullock and O’Leary - both who had aspirations of higher office.

Not only did they NOT benefit from that association, it actually tainted them.

Budish/Fitzgerald/Summers is poison.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”