Video: Schachner Would "Have no problem" Appointing O'Leary to Council

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Michael Deneen

Video: Schachner Would "Have no problem" Appointing O'Leary to Council

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 am

It's becoming increasingly clear that Sam O'Leary will not be elected mayor this fall. Citizens have accurately concluded that he is a habitual liar that cannot be trusted.

However, a defeat on November 5th doesn't necessarily end Sam's time at Lakewood City Hall.
If the "Team Summers" slate (Neff, Schachner, Litten) is voted onto council, they have the option to appoint O'Leary to fill Meghan George's empty council seat. These candidates are all beholden to the same "insider" Establishment that is working to get O'Leary elected as mayor. Noone should doubt that they would gladly roll over and hand O'Leary a spot on Council.

Video has surfaced of Ward 2 candidate Jason Schachner saying that he would "Have no problem" appointing Sam.
Team Summers has a long history of using council appointments to rig the system in their favor.
I hope voters don't allow Team Summers to do it again.....the only way to stop it is to elect a new council.
I urge folks to support Laura Rodriguez Carbone (Ward 1), Brad Presutto (Ward 2), and Jeff Wise (Ward 3).

Bridget Conant

Re: Video: Schachner Would "Have no problem" Appointing O'Leary to Council

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 am

What a setup.

Talk about having disdain for the democratic process.

That appointing of a councilperson has been all too common in Lakewood history.

It’s the good old boys’ network way of doing business!

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 am

First, I am strongly in Brad Presutto's corner. Awhile back, I decried the apparent lack of knowledge of Ward 2 that I found in Ward 2 council candidates, and Brad responded almost immediately. I met with him, walked the neighborhood with him and came to know him. He's not only proactive as a candidate, but he is active, getting more done as a candidate than Sam (remember, Sam O'Leary's primary job is not Council President but Ward 2 council representative). Awhile later, Jason provided an excellent reply on the Deck showing insight and knowledge of the Ward.

That said, I've come to like Jason Shachner (no "c", Mike). I wish I knew him better at this point, but I'm inclined to cut him a break on this one. This video was from relatively early in the campaign and since then Jason has had the opportunity to get to know the whole Summers gang better. I'd like to know candidly, off the record, on background, however it suits him, how he now views Sam O'Leary. If he were to post something on the Deck, so much better. Depending on his response, I might even support him to fill the empty seat on council.

But as it is, the only thing keeping me from voting for Brad is the lack of a postage stamp.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:First, I am strongly in Brad Presutto's corner. Awhile back, I decried the apparent lack of knowledge of Ward 2 that I found in Ward 2 council candidates, and Brad responded almost immediately. I met with him, walked the neighborhood with him and came to know him. He's not only proactive as a candidate, but he is active, getting more done as a candidate than Sam (remember, Sam O'Leary's primary job is not Council President but Ward 2 council representative). Awhile later, Jason provided an excellent reply on the Deck showing insight and knowledge of the Ward.

That said, I've come to like Jason Shachner (no "c", Mike). I wish I knew him better at this point, but I'm inclined to cut him a break on this one. This video was from relatively early in the campaign and since then Jason has had the opportunity to get to know the whole Summers gang better. I'd like to know candidly, off the record, on background, however it suits him, how he now views Sam O'Leary. If he were to post something on the Deck, so much better. Depending on his response, I might even support him to fill the empty seat on council.

But as it is, the only thing keeping me from voting for Brad is the lack of a postage stamp.

Mr. Alaimo,

With regards to Mr. Shachner.

'' I'd like to know candidly, off the record , on background, however it suits him, how he now views Sam O'Leary. "

"Candidly, off the record" is an oxymoron Mr. Alaimo. How about speaking up. Standing up.

Enough with the back channels. The shadow courage.

"Sexual preference." His words.

O'Leary loses - back on Council. His inclination.

Keep Lakewood City Council White! . His muscle memory.

"And you might even support him to fill the empty seat on council."

Your choice.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Mark,
Sorry, I'm a bit confused bt this one.

To venture a reply, I'd like to know where Jason stands in regard to the old guard, and I don't much care how he communicates it to me. He could send smoke signals for all I care..

So far I still haven't heard from him about a promised sit-down conversation. Benefit of the doubt, he is too busy, which is okay but also tells me he won't have sufficient time available to do the ward council rep job. Worst case, he is so tight with O'Leary, Summers, FitzGerald that he is avoiding the conversation.

Did I get close to answering your question? I suggest you talk to Jason yourself and let me know what he says - or not.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Dan,
I was giving voice to my frustration over democracy conducted by e-mail - by phone- by smoke signal. I think we set the bar too low by not demanding public stances from people who either represent us or want to represent us. Personally I'm not interested in hearing in private what an elected official is unwilling to say in public.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Just as an aside-- over 6 months ago Brad Pressuto had mentioned a "what could be" project. I contacted the project author and Brad and we met within hours at the Root.
Curiosity is - perhaps- the most essential character element in a representative in our system of government.

This is what we need now in Lakewood.

Stan Austin

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”