Why This Election Matters!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Why This Election Matters!

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Where Do They Stand On Ethics In Government?

This is an important council race, because whoever is elected may hold a key vote in the passage of pending Ethics-In-Government legislation now in city council.

Tristan Rader introduced this important reform legislation.

It would be a major step forward to see Lakewood move in the direction of modern norms in this area.

Lakewood has been in the dark ages on this for years and we've paid the price with endless conflict-of-interests riddling and eroding public trust.

I look forward to hearing from both Mr. Presutto and Mr. Shachner on where they stand on this issue.

This is a key issue across all of the contested council races, in my opinion. For me this is the "Litmus" test!

If a council candidate is not prepared to support robust ethics-in-government legislation, they should not be running for office. It is as simple as that.

Ethics-in-government is job one!

For those who choose to be oath-takers, the duty and honor associated with that choice sounds in both law and ethics.

This is above politics.

Mark Kindt

Re: Why This Election Matters!

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:49 pm

A Thoughtful Overview from Candidate Brad Presutto

"Hi Mark. I know we have discussed ethics in city government before, but I wanted to submit my answers for all to see.

From the beginning of my campaign, I have stressed transparency, integrity, and clear communication. When City Hall was spiking the ball over their “win” over the Lakewood Observer, I was one of the residents who questioned this victory. It is not common that I see cities paying a defendant $40k in fees if there were no harm done. This was a self inflicted wound done to the community by leaders’ failure to fulfill valid public records requests.

One of the first steps we can do as a city is to have a more user friendly website with actual search functions and the ability to determine how votes were cast on council. Our current methodology is to just dump everything on to the site. There is no way the average citizen could effectively research anything, outside recent events, to be informed on the issues or investigate possible impropriety. A better site should also allow public record requests to be automated and set up for self service. The records belong to the community, and the city should do whatever it takes for all to have ease of use and access.

Additionally, I believe in being held accountable. While there are a few exceptions, there are not regularly held town hall meetings from the current representatives. These townhalls should be an opportunity for the rep to provide digestible updates to the residents that have occurred over the quarter, but it should also be a free, open forum to allow residents to raise their concerns. I have been demonstrating my desire to be open and transparent by hosting several meet and greet functions throughout Lakewood at coffee shops, small businesses, and the local parks. I also make sure that my time slots that I offer are for a wide variety of dates and times because not all families and households work banker’s hours. Their City Council person needs to be accessible to all demographics and time requirements.

Finally, it means realizing that the job is bigger than the person. While I believe I am bringing great ideas with my platform to Lakewood City Council, I am there to serve Ward 2. There are going to be times when the overwhelming majority of Ward 2 is going want their councilperson to take a specific action. My job is to action on that request. They did not elect me to be their voice on council, only for me to act like I know better than they do. I will put my pride aside in order to do what is in the best interest of the residents and their wishes.

At the end of the day, this role is a civil servant. We are there to represent Ward 2. This is a serious responsibility and not something to pad a resume for further political aspirations. It is why I proactively took the Ohio Ethics Commission course back on May 24, 2019. The person who is honored with this role needs to take it. It is why questions around who is eligible to replace Meghan George on council if she were to be elected mayor are important to ask. It gets to the root cause of why someone is running. For me, I don’t believe Sam O’Leary or any incumbent who has lost voters’ support should be appointed back onto council by insiders. While it is a risk to give someone with no political experience a shot, it is a bigger insult to voters to install someone whom they have already rejected."

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:52 pm

I encourage all candidates for local election this Fall to share their views on Ethics-in-Government. Do you support the pending legislation before city council?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Where Do They Stand On Ethics In Government?

This is an important council race, because whoever is elected may hold a key vote in the passage of pending Ethics-In-Government legislation now in city council.

Tristan Rader introduced this important reform legislation.

It would be a major step forward to see Lakewood move in the direction of modern norms in this area.

Lakewood has been in the dark ages on this for years and we've paid the price with endless conflict-of-interests riddling and eroding public trust.

I look forward to hearing from both Mr. Presutto and Mr. Shachner on where they stand on this issue.

This is a key issue across all of the contested council races, in my opinion. For me this is the "Litmus" test!

If a council candidate is not prepared to support robust ethics-in-government legislation, they should not be running for office. It is as simple as that.

Ethics-in-government is job one!

For those who choose to be oath-takers, the duty and honor associated with that choice sounds in both law and ethics.

This is above politics.

Ethics-In-Government is extremely important, and at least in the view of many on the Deck, the big issue this year is the closely related subject of openness, transparency and - to call it what it is - lieing.

There's something else though. If Meghan George wins the mayoral contest, council will select someone to take her place. That could be the swing vote between the "old guard" and those of us who want change. It might well come down to Ward 2.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
lrodriguezcarbone

Postby lrodriguezcarbone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 pm

I want to go on record as re-affirming my previous public statements about the need for ethics, integrity, and transparency in our public process. I wholeheartedly support Councilperson Rader's ethics legislation and will work in earnest on city council to pass it. It is important that we work to rebuild trust between our residents and our local government. While being trained as a Public Administrator at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, one of the most rigorous programs in the country, the University made sure we left our studies prepared, not only to be efficient and effective public administrators, but also fully understanding the weight and role of leadership ethics in the public process. I take those lessons to heart and firmly believe that the stewardship of ethics is a responsibility to dutifully be upheld by all public officials engaging in the public's business. It is also important that policy solutions rooted in equity govern our application of ethics in the public arena and that we foster an environment inclusive of community-centered input and participation. Public information and public policy belongs to our residents and they have a right and civic responsibility to audit the public process.

-Laura Rodriguez-Carbone

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 am

lrodriguezcarbone wrote:I want to go on record as re-affirming my previous public statements about the need for ethics, integrity, and transparency in our public process. I wholeheartedly support Councilperson Rader's ethics legislation and will work in earnest on city council to pass it. It is important that we work to rebuild trust between our residents and our local government. While being trained as a Public Administrator at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, one of the most rigorous programs in the country, the University made sure we left our studies prepared, not only to be efficient and effective public administrators, but also fully understanding the weight and role of leadership ethics in the public process. I take those lessons to heart and firmly believe that the stewardship of ethics is a responsibility to dutifully be upheld by all public officials engaging in the public's business. It is also important that policy solutions rooted in equity govern our application of ethics in the public arena and that we foster an environment inclusive of community-centered input and participation. Public information and public policy belongs to our residents and they have a right and civic responsibility to audit the public process.

-Laura Rodriguez-Carbone

Thank you for this statement! This speaks volumes about your integrity and leadership capabilities! Thank you for choosing to be a candidate for public office.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:09 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
lrodriguezcarbone wrote:I want to go on record as re-affirming my previous public statements about the need for ethics, integrity, and transparency in our public process. I wholeheartedly support Councilperson Rader's ethics legislation and will work in earnest on city council to pass it. It is important that we work to rebuild trust between our residents and our local government. While being trained as a Public Administrator at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, one of the most rigorous programs in the country, the University made sure we left our studies prepared, not only to be efficient and effective public administrators, but also fully understanding the weight and role of leadership ethics in the public process. I take those lessons to heart and firmly believe that the stewardship of ethics is a responsibility to dutifully be upheld by all public officials engaging in the public's business. It is also important that policy solutions rooted in equity govern our application of ethics in the public arena and that we foster an environment inclusive of community-centered input and participation. Public information and public policy belongs to our residents and they have a right and civic responsibility to audit the public process.

-Laura Rodriguez-Carbone

Thank you for this statement! This speaks volumes about your integrity and leadership capabilities! Thank you for choosing to be a candidate for public office.

Laura Rodriguez-Carbone

Welcome to the Deck!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Additional Support For The Ethics-in-Government Reform Legislation Sponsored by Council-member Rader.

Meghan George, a candidate for Mayor is also on record as supporting the ethics and campaign finance rules proposed by Rader.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Position Tracking on Ethics-in-Government Reform

Here is what I think I know about positions on the pending ethics-in-government reform legislation now before city council. This is crucial legislation for our city and community.

I will update this chart as I learn more. Feel free to post positions in this thread.

Reform in Lakewood 1.jpg
Reform in Lakewood 1.jpg (141.6 KiB) Viewed 8764 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 pm

UPDATED

Reform in Lakewood 2.jpg
Reform in Lakewood 2.jpg (145.5 KiB) Viewed 8733 times

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:55 pm

I have been advised that Jeff Wise is IN FAVOR of the Rader ethics legislation. Stan Austin

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Here is a contact for Jeff if you wish to discuss this or any other issue. questions:wiseforlakewood@gmail.com

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 am

Candidate Wise Supports The Rader Reform Legislation

Here is a statement that I received from him via email:

"I support this important legislation. Restoring honesty, transparency and accountability at City Hall are key issues in my campaign. After the unfortunate and unnecessary debacle surrounding the closure of our hospital, it is clear we need new representatives that will work tirelessly to restore trust between residents and city leaders. We've got a lot of work to do, but I'm hopeful that with some new council members sworn in next year, there will be more support for legislation like this."

I have updated the position tracking table:
Reform in Lakewood 3.jpg
Reform in Lakewood 3.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 8600 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:55 am

If you are marked "?" -- Then Feel Free To Summarize Your Position. My Email Address is mkindt@kindt.com

I will keep updating the table for a while yet.

You can also message me on this site.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 am

Need An Email Address For The Neff Campaign

I have now canvassed everyone on the Table (above) via email except Candidate Neff.

I you have an email for her campaign, please email it to me at mkindt@kindt.com so that I can complete my issue canvas. Thank you.

I will continue to update the Table as I collect more information on positions.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”