Lakewood Post Office Lot On Warren For Sale

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood Post Office Lot On Warren For Sale

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am

As we predicted years ago, it would appear that Lakewood could be losing our DowntowN post office too.

Years ago we predicted a huge swath through DowntowN Lakewood would be vacated and up for sale. We indicated that the Board of Education building was part of it, we were told no, it was. We said the Lakewood Post Office was part of it, and was told never, well. We said Lakewood Hospital and the garages were up for sale, we were called liars. Now we wait for the shoe to drop on Kauffman Park.

We have had glimpses at all of these schemes through actions, and words, but never the truth. Remember the fight to keep Grant from being rebuilt? Only when Kauffman Park was suggested as an alternative, did they fold on rebuilding Grant. All of these real estate ventures go back to a couple projects suggested in the 90s. Are those plans still in the works? Is Lakewood working towards a ringed mall in the center of Lakewood?

We need honesty, transparency and accountability.

Our Civic Leaders are neither.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
michael gill

Re: Lakewood Post Office Lot On Warren For Sale

Postby michael gill » Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 am

According to the county, That property is owned by an LLC.

The post office is a tenant.

Odds are that the lease will just be held by a new owner.

Does anyone know how long the lease is?

I bet the US Government is a pretty good and desirable tenant.

I have not heard that the PO has any plan to close this office.

Anybody?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 am

michael gill wrote:According to the county, That property is owned by an LLC.

The post office is a tenant.

Odds are that the lease will just be held by a new owner.

Does anyone know how long the lease is?

I bet the US Government is a pretty good and desirable tenant.

I have not heard that the PO has any plan to close this office.

Anybody?

Either that or they want to build a more modern facility? But where?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am

I'd speculate that the counter and mailbox services will move to the new development and the distribution operation will be moved to a lower rent location. There's some overlap but not a lot.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Tue May 28, 2019 12:17 pm

It's my understanding that when Fisher Fazio supermarket closed, that it maintained its ownership of the property; after sitting vacant for awhile, it began leasing to the post office which was in dire need for more space.
Now, for whatever reason, it has decided to sell. It'll be interesting to learn of the asking price.

Personally, I don't think someone would buy the lot and continue to rent to the post office.
Even if the post office has a lease with months/years left, we know that leases can and will be broken.

This is prime property, and I'm imaging developers drooling to put their proposal before the city to build...... gosh, maybe some more condos :lol:

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

My ultimate "dream" (I'm keepin'it clean) get stamps which I don't use anymore, dog food-no hound either, and pick up my dry cleaning in one, convenient stop :mrgreen:

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm

It can be hard to find out how much someone pays for commercial property. If the property is owned by an LLC the buyer can buy the LLC. The property is part of the LLC. The purchase price of an LLC is not a public record. The value assigned to the realestate is likely to be the County's appraised value.

The Barry Buick site is owned by an LLC. The buyer will buy the LLC (for a rumored $6 million or so) but the realestate may only have a tax valuation of $1 million.

It seems likely that the Post Office is not interested in buying. Why would the owners sell? Are they about to lose a tenant?

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Tue May 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Maybe someone could call MetroHealth and let them know that there's property available for a small full-service hospital to be built.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Stan Austin wrote:My ultimate "dream" (I'm keepin'it clean) get stamps which I don't use anymore, dog food-no hound either, and pick up my dry cleaning in one, convenient stop :mrgreen:

If you also don't go to a store like Marcs or Ollies, you might be able to add them to your stop.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 am

The Post Office pays $30,000 per month rent for the facility on Warren Road. The lease expires in August. A Post Office official has stated that they are not moving but has refused to say that they are staying.

My guess is that the owner is selling because he is about to lose the $30,000 month in rent.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 am

Bill Call wrote:The Post Office pays $30,000 per month rent for the facility on Warren Road. The lease expires in August. A Post Office official has stated that they are not moving but has refused to say that they are staying.

My guess is that the owner is selling because he is about to lose the $30,000 month in rent.

Or owner playing hardball trying to get USPS to move on new lease.

But on the filp side, I am learning Lakewood is filled with nasty people that are desperate to secure Summers Gang of liars stay in power.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:But on the filp side, I am learning Lakewood is filled with nasty people that are desperate to secure Summers Gang of liars stay in power.

I suppose in theory I could support lies, deception, head fakes, violations of law and more in exchange for 50,000 high paying high tech jobs but for a strip mall?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu May 30, 2019 10:35 am

Need education: Is $30,000 in that location high, low, or about right?

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm

And---is there any coincidental relationship with the development of the former Board of Education building?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”