Rader and George Public Records Ordinance Proposal

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Rader and George Public Records Ordinance Proposal

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon May 20, 2019 3:44 pm

http://www.tristanrader.com/blog/public-record-access/

Some facts:

New objectives of this proposed legislation include:

Create a public records request web portal that is easy to use, up to date and interactive that will allow the public to:
Easily and quickly submit specific requests in one place.
Allow for anonymity.
Track requests in real time.
Fulfill the request.
Store all requests for review, reporting, and public search.
Two-day response time to initially respond to a request.
Strengthen provisions around redactions and exemptions, to make sure we are withholding only what is absolutely necessary.
Appointment of a city employee as Public Records Administrator.
Mandate public records training for top officials.
List types of records and information open to the public (non-exhaustive).

Tim Liston

Re: Reader and George Public Records Ordinance Proposal

Postby Tim Liston » Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Yawn....

When I see substantial consequences for failure to comply, I'll believe that there is a serious intent. Or maybe I missed it. It seems no different than other "get tough" initiatives that leave the perpetrators unscathed. Unless I'm missing something....

Mark Kindt

Re: Reader and George Public Records Ordinance Proposal

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon May 20, 2019 4:46 pm

A Few Comments

1. I commend Council-members Rader and George for this important initiative to improve access to public records on a more responsive and open basis in compliance with Ohio law.

2. Mr. Liston has a fine point considering that the Ohio Eighth Circuit just took the City of Lakewood to task for its open records violation with the maximum penalty and an adverse award of attorney fees. The City of Lakewood violated the statute in an egregious manner and the Law Department conducted delaying litigation for years that prevented citizens from having timely and accurate information related to the most important issue in the city's recent history.

3. I advocate the release of all withheld or redacted documents related to the closure of Lakewood Hospital as the only method by which the city administration can restore any credibility for its intentional violations of Ohio public records laws. (Unlikely though this might ever be.) Given the sanctioned violations, the public has more right to know than ever.

It was unfortunate that it took the work of numerous public interest lawyers litigating for years in order for the average Lakewood resident to actually learn what was being done to destroy our public community hospital and the healthcare safety net in our city.

It's gone now.

Worst city administration ever.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”