Oh That Smell - Nothing To See, Move Along - CORRECTED

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Oh That Smell - Nothing To See, Move Along - CORRECTED

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am

This morning I was awakened by messages, oil spill on Roy Avenue!. Oil Spill on Edgewater Dr., "Bad gas leak in Overlook Park!" along with this photo.

"I am not sure but I think this truck is carrying oil spill mats to clean up large oil spills." said one caller.

Actually what is going on is the Ohio Division of Natural Resources is capping a couple gas wells in the area.

I could be wrong but I know of at least 10 natural gas wells in the city. I know of no oil wells in Lakewood. Also to my knowledge natural gas does not smell until an aroma additive is added to the gas so that it has the familiar, "Gas is leaking!" smell to it.

But what of the truck with oil spill mats? Well those are actual pads for the heavy equipment coming in to drill and cap the well. They were being laid down on the driveway that lead to the backyard.

Funny thing is, while looking at these photos and talking with an environmental lawyer about the entire process. A person at the next table mentioned a huge oil spill on Rocky River Drive. So I went and had a look.

While there was no sign of oil on the street, just mud. Checking with the Fire Department they said it was dirt and mud from the trucks that closed a gas well over there yesterday. Everything was good, no spills, no safety issues.

Nothing to see, move along.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Oh That Smell - Nothing To See, Move Along

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 pm

A correction or two, and some more information.

First the correction. The oil spill clean-up on Rocky River Drive this morning was from an accident at Munn Road and Rocky River Drive in which a lot of diesel oil was spilled. So the person seeing oil and kitty litter was correct in her assumptions, just wrong reason.

The natural gas/oil wells being plugged are on Edgewater, Bayes, and Thoreau. Over 30 wells have been plugged in Lakewood over the past ten years. But these are the first in a couple years. Many of these wells were plugged with wood, sand, anything handy at the time. So the plugs deteriorate, fall through or leak. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has a program called, "Orphan Well Program" just signed into law in 2018.

https://ofbf.org/2018/06/28/ohio-orphan ... gislation/

This allows the 250,000+ orphan wells in the state of Ohio to be cataloged, graded on urgency of need, and ability to get there. This law also makes it where land owners do not have to declare on their taxes funding they receive to help in the plugging of the well. For all of us that own property know, When you buy the property, you also buy what is in the ground.

On Bayes they barely could fit the oil derrick in.

This well they had to dig down over 2,800'. About a half mile to clear out the old well. For those watching Oak Island these wells about about 12 times deeper. And if you watch Oak Island, you know there are always meetings!

The drill in 30' sections.

The heavy mats we also witnessed being unloaded on Edgewater.

And there you have it!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”