Birdtown Brewery

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Re: Birdtown Brewery

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:16 pm

They built a kitchen in the fall of 2018 intending to have it ready to go Spring 2019.

I’d like to know what happened, as well.

But it does go to show how tough the restaurant and bar business is.

Wonder how many signed up fur the “Healthiest City in America” talk by Mayor Summers?

:lol: :lol:

Edward Favre

Postby Edward Favre » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 am

It is a risky business and I feel for the folks investing time and money. However it is/was the wrong location for a bar that size. Mere footsteps from an elementary school with after school programs and children walking to and from, on narrow streets that would not accommodate delivery trucks like we see on Madison and Detroit in conflict with parent drop off, and insufficient parking. Nice idea, wrong location.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am

From what I’ve learned from an industry professional, they let the domain name lapse. In addition, they no longer have an active brewing permit application with the state and haven’t for the past several months.

Those facts indicate they are having problems. Whether or not they can overcome them, or if they even plan to try, is unknown at this point.

Again, it shows how much effort is required to open and run a successful business. And, as Ed Favre pointed out, so many factors affect success, especially location.

It’s also weird to me how the city will have seminars to tell restaurants how to make the city residents healthier, while at the same time allowing and encouraging bar and alcohol providers to locate in neighborhoods near schools and playgrounds. Look at this instance and then the “truck/bar” place being built on Edwards.

It’s remarkable that for a city that wants to be “healthy,” they sure encourage alcohol consumption. And they have no problem with that consumption near children or the potential drunk driving issues it might create.

:roll:

cmager

Postby cmager » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:59 am

Bridget Conant wrote:It’s also weird to me how the city will have seminars to tell restaurants how to make the city residents healthier, while
[*] Bullshit lip service
at the same time allowing and encouraging bar and alcohol providers to locate in neighborhoods near schools and playgrounds.
[*] Developers and Money

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am

cmager wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:It’s also weird to me how the city will have seminars to tell restaurants how to make the city residents healthier, while
[*] Bullshit lip service
at the same time allowing and encouraging bar and alcohol providers to locate in neighborhoods near schools and playgrounds.
[*] Developers and Money

See related topic, Let's Try This One More Time, Lakewood You Were Played
http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25231

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:58 am

At least one person from the School Board saw trouble coming...

Beebe / Einhouse Support Brewery Across From Elementary School.
http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22313&p=161637&hilit=birdtown+brewery#p161637

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”