Scene Underline Observations Here For Years

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Scene Underline Observations Here For Years

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm

For years here at the LO we been talking about the decline of the region, both in number of residents and economically....

Study: Cleveland Continues to Experience Significant Neighborhood Economic Decline, Little Measurable Growth

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/04/19/study-cleveland-continues-to-experience-significant-neighborhood-economic-decline-little-measurable-growth?fbclid=IwAR1QCwLy_VpodiiNo4aSnsUtzNePeS5oS27CgEkmgURCBm_4M_Ai0s4OjVE

In an article by Daniel McGraw...

If there is a study on how Cleveland ranks high on craft beer consumption or the restorative character of downtown chandelier placement, this city loves it. Poverty not so much...

While some live in a fantasy world about high end housing, and cafe underwritten by hundreds of millions of dollars from residents, the truth is health care, clean, safe. Is the best place to be when it gets tough.

Ohhhhhh an it is tough.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Re: Scene Underline Observations Here For Years

Postby Bill Call » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 am

That's a report you probably won't see in the Plain Dealer. The closest they will come to admitting the truth is a short comment I saw buried in an article in the business section: "Nothing we are doing is working".

Local politicians like to take the credit for positive economic growth but most cities are at the mercy of economic trends that are outside of their control.

Brett Larkin at the PD likes to assert that if the Cleveland area is to be as successful as Columbus, Nashville, Indianapolis or Minneapolis/St. Paul we need to regionalize our local governments. When I notice those articles I send him a quick email pointing out that they are all capital cities. The only thing those cities have to teach us is that it pays to be a capital city. If Columbus wasn't the State Capital it would still be a cow town.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”