Time To Ask Hard Questions

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Time To Ask Hard Questions

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Now Is The Time To Ask The Hard Questions

I urge each reader of the Lakewood Observer and The Observation Deck to begin asking questions of their elected representatives:

1. Why is the redevelopment of the former hospital site being delayed?

2. How severe are the underground water conditions at the former hospital site?

3. Who is going to pay to mitigate those underground water conditions? How much?

4. Why did we dump our public hospital without understanding whether or not the hospital site could realistically be redeveloped?

5. Aside from the water problems, are there other reasons for delay? What are they?

6. Is the project for the redevelopment site being redesigned? Why?

7. Is the project site footprint going to be enlarged?

8. Will more houses be slated for demo?

We need to ask these question now, because we were not permitted to ask questions when LHA and LHF collaborated in the private decision-path that ended our public hospital.

It is time for some fundamental honesty and truth from our representatives.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Time To Ask Hard Questions

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

Mark

Good questions I have a couple others, as election season is here.

1) Corrupt, or just plain stupid?

2) Part of the scheme or a used ignorant patsy?

3) Are you now willing to make all of the city's documents on what is now known as the Hospital Debacle public?

For a start.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 am

I emailed Dan O'Malley and asked him to answer Mr. Kindt's questions.

The Councilman promised to find some answers.

When I get them I will post them here.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 am

Bill Call wrote:I emailed Dan O'Malley and asked him to answer Mr. Kindt's questions.

Bill

I would encourage everyone to ask council people, and people running for office those questions and mine.

But we are really at a place where the car is in the ditch, and asking the same drivers to drive it out seems insane to me.

Between 2010 when the City Administration started this to today there have been at least 15 times where a sane person would have said wait a second, maybe we need to rethink this.

Between 2014 and June 2015 they had another 10 reasons, and business leaders telling them behind the scenes that it would never work.

Between 2015 and today they had another 5 outs all better than this, but none of them would allow the mayor's friends to capture the foundation money for their use.

Lakewood, we have a huge problem and it is not the black hole on belle and detroit.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

I ran for public office once and came in last so take this political advice with a grain of salt.

Wouldn't it be the politically smart thing to do to take a public stand and demand answers and accountability?

I suppose some would say that the City needs to keep the problems secret until solutions are found because the don't want the Hospital site to become a "poisoned site". Of course, the only people who are not fully aware of the problems are the people of Lakewood.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 am

Aside From The Elections

Perhaps this time the public can receive near real-time accurate information about the plans, schedule, and estimated costs of the planned redevelopment of the former hospital site as opposed to a false PR narrative like we have had so many times in the past.

Last time it took three lawsuits and about a dozen lawyers to figure-out what really was happening with Lakewood Hospital and that took close to three years to unravel. (Mr. O'Bryan is correct when he states that many documents have not been seen and, I believe, will never be seen about that community tragedy.)

Folks, Lakewood has chosen its path as a city.

I'm just trying to understand the consequences on 6 acres of land and how much we have to dump into it.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Aside From The Elections

Perhaps this time the public can receive near real-time accurate information about the plans, schedule, and estimated costs of the planned redevelopment of the former hospital site as opposed to a false PR narrative like we have had so many times in the past.

Last time it took three lawsuits and about a dozen lawyers to figure-out what really was happening with Lakewood Hospital and that took close to three years to unravel. (Mr. O'Bryan is correct when he states that many documents have not been seen and, I believe, will never be seen about that community tragedy.)

Folks, Lakewood has chosen its path as a city.

I'm just trying to understand the consequences on 6 acres of land and how much more we have to dump into it.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Bill Call wrote:I ran for public office once and came in last so take this political advice with a grain of salt.

Wouldn't it be the politically smart thing to do to take a public stand and demand answers and accountability?

I suppose some would say that the City needs to keep the problems secret until solutions are found because the don't want the Hospital site to become a "poisoned site". Of course, the only people who are not fully aware of the problems are the people of Lakewood.

It might just work, but for a ward council seat it could be the end of any effectiveness on behalf of constituents. On the othet hand there's O'Leary and Bullock...

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:49 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Bill Call wrote:I ran for public office once and came in last so take this political advice with a grain of salt.

It might just work, but for a ward council seat it could be the end of any effectiveness on behalf of constituents. On the othet hand there's O'Leary and Bullock...

Let us not ask any hard questions that might disrupt the status quo. How's that been working for us?

Loving that new hospital downtownN.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Bill Call wrote:I emailed Dan O'Malley and asked him to answer Mr. Kindt's questions.

Mr. Call,
It has been 4 weeks since your post.
Has Dan O'Malley kept his promise?
Has councilperson O'Malley provided answers to Mr. Kindt's questions?

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 am

m buckley wrote:

Mr. Call,

4/16/19

Hi Bill -

I apologize for the delay in responding to you. Regrettably I haven't received satisfactory answers to some of these questions. Shortly I'll forward you what council has received from the Planning Department.

- Dan

4/24/19

Bill -

For what it's worth, the administration posted an update on the demolition a couple weeks ago that stated the demolition is on-schedule and that "there is no indication that there are any unusual impediments to redevelopment of the site." (see "Community Update: April 11th":

http://www.onelakewood.com/downtowndevelopment/

I have no reason to believe that there are environmental or geotechnical problems with the site, but I'm still not satisfied with the explanation for the delay in the demolition process. My conversations with the administration on this topic are ongoing and I'm hoping to have better answers by the end of the week.

- Dan

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 am

Bill Call wrote:
m buckley wrote:

Mr. Call,

4/16/19

Hi Bill -

I apologize for the delay in responding to you. Regrettably I haven't received satisfactory answers to some of these questions. Shortly I'll forward you what council has received from the Planning Department.

- Dan

4/24/19

Bill -

For what it's worth, the administration posted an update on the demolition a couple weeks ago that stated the demolition is on-schedule and that "there is no indication that there are any unusual impediments to redevelopment of the site." (see "Community Update: April 11th":

http://www.onelakewood.com/downtowndevelopment/

I have no reason to believe that there are environmental or geotechnical problems with the site, but I'm still not satisfied with the explanation for the delay in the demolition process. My conversations with the administration on this topic are ongoing and I'm hoping to have better answers by the end of the week.

- Dan

Thank you for the update.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 09, 2019 10:07 am

Hard Questions All Answered -- No Delay -- No Impediments To Progress

There are no physical conditions at the hospital site that will impede its redevelopment. Here's the official word from the City.

Community Update May 1, 2019 2.jpg
Community Update May 1, 2019 2.jpg (359.81 KiB) Viewed 8308 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 10, 2019 9:44 am

See Also:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25255

Quoting Mr. O'Bryan for this new information:

"Well I found out last night that the underground river problem has been fixed...

Lakewood style.

The workers have been warned if they talk to anyone about the project they will be fired.

Lakewood style, intimidation, cover ups, lying who cares, it's just residents we are lying too.

WORST Administration ever."

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am

Sounds like organized crime to me.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”