Why I Love This Project...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Why I Love This Project...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:31 am

Cartoon and concept by Moses Kakusa.

Moses wanted to be a cartoonist, so he talked with his father about it. Well he kept asking finally dad tracked me down and told of Moses' dream.

I called Rob Masek who is the creator of "Lakewoodites" and he loved the idea. So he called Mwale and Moses and work they did. And just in time for Autism Week, Moses dropped the cartoon which deals with what he deals with everyday, Autism and how others interact with him.

An amazing cartoon, by an amazing person, brought forward with the love of a father, and the respect and love of the LO.

Moses, our newest cartoonist.

Moses with his father Mwale, also known as the owner of Tease Hair Salon.

Thank you, I love the people in this community.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Re: Why I Love This Project...

Postby Gary Rice » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 am

YES! YES! YES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THIS is indeed one of the sweetest of the many fruits brought forth by the Lakewood Observer Project. YAY for Moses! :D

To be marginalized because of one's own differences, whatever they might be, continues to be a pervasive cancer in our society. That this culture continues to exist and even thrive through exploitation by politicians and public figures is an international worldwide disgrace, but hear this everyone.... :shock:

See this everyone... :shock:

Know this everyone... :shock:

There are those in every generation who WILL rise up and confront this inhumane marginalization with their own witness, with their own lives, and with their own hearts.

And they will not only survive. They will eventually win. :D

Because love ALWAYS wins. :D

Moses, this happened to me as a child in Lakewood; being teased, marginalized, left aside for being different. :shock:

I WAS that blue-hatted boy. :shock:

(Blue remains my favorite color too, but I digress here... :D )

Speech, hearing, walking, and other differences insured that I would always be noticed, left out, sidelined. :roll:

but.... :wink:

I went on to become a teacher for kids with special needs. :D
I went on to advocate for people with exceptionalities. Still do. :D
I went on to look after the guitars for the Rock Hall, becoming perhaps the best known guitar tech in the world. :D
I went on to write close to 500 columns for the Lakewood Observer and other publications, many of those about facing down the same sorts of challenges that you show in your cartoon. You can still read my Observer columns online right here under the Pulse of the City-opinion section of the home page. :D
I also volunteer with the Lakewood Schools from time to time, including at Garfield with the music program. :D

I do NOT list these achievements to brag or show MY strengths here, however, but rather to remind you of OUR strength when we do good things. :D

If I made it somehow, YOU WILL TOO AND SO WILL THE PEOPLE YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR! :D

Always remember, there are no limits for you or anyone else, EVER. :D

Again everyone, YAY FOR MOSES! :D

Back to the banjo. :D

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 am

Edward Favre wrote:Well done, Jim.

Nope

Well done Moses, well done Rob.

Moses just did what 7,000+ people have done over the years. Simply share their ideas, art, stories with the people of Lakewood through the Observer.

The one place in Lakewood you can get your story out without interruption, editing or deleting.

Moses was no different from you the contributor Ed. His age wasn't a factor, his beliefs were not a factor, neither were his sex, color of skin or religion. Lakewood Observer, Lakewood's safe space for art, photos, discussions and so much more.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Edward Favre

Postby Edward Favre » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:19 am

Certainly no disrespect for Moses. Just thanking you and the Observer for putting it out there.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”