Once In A Lifetime View Of The Northern Lights

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: Once In A Lifetime View Of The Northern Lights

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

Just a quick note: i intend to move the political stuff to a separate topic, but i've been dealing with some doggie heslth issues this week

Soon. I promise.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm

A fact I found that you may be interested in, however, we are not experiencing great solar storms

"Yet at times of high solar activity, they can be seen much further south: during the great solar storm of August and September 1859, the colours typical of aurorae were seen in Honolulu, just 21° north of the equator.

Historians have uncovered evidence suggesting that the southern hemisphere counterpart of the Northern Lights, the Aurora Australis, may have been witnessed even closer to the equator, with reports of the phenomenon being seen from Samoa in 1921, at a latitude of 13° south, and a disputed report from Singapore at just 8° south during the storm of 25 September 1909."

cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
cameron karslake wrote:Back on topic (!) I have a suspect that JOB actually did catch the northern lights in his opening picture, not the lights of Windsor, ON. Windsor is not directly north of Cleveland but 90 miles to the northwest. There are red lights on the right side of the photo too which makes me think his camera was actually pointing more northeast than northwest. Besides, if we are to think those are the lights of Windsor they may as well be the lights of Detroit, across the river from Windsor and a MUCH bigger city.

No, Cleveland is blessed to not have any major city directly to the north of us. About 5 or 10 years ago I heard of people in the Collinwood neighborhood being able to go to the lake, late at night, and see an aurora display happening across the lake.

JOB, you succeeded! :D

Cameron

From where I was standing, Windsor is directly in front of Detroit. I would agree that the lights could be Detroit, the distance is measured in feet not miles. I made sure to take notes of where and direction. There was a group with me. I gave Windsor the nod as it was closer by the width of the Detroit River.

As much as I would love to say, success. I am doubtful. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Jim,

What I want to know is why am I seeing lights on the right side of the photo? That tells me you were facing to the right, not the left...east not west. Also, how on earth are we seeing the lights of Windsor, it's not a "thing" to do. Never heard of folks in Collinwood (or anywhere else for that matter) saying "lets go see the lights of Windsor, it only happens every couple years!". Plus it's over 90 miles away, too far to see. Makes much more sense that you caught the aurora borelasl .

Where exactly was that photo taken? Do you know what direction you were facing (exactly as well)? Where were you standing?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”