Dangerous Violations of Life Safety Codes

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Richard Baker

Dangerous Violations of Life Safety Codes

Postby Richard Baker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:48 pm

My family, with the grandchildren went to a Lakewood restaurant [to remain nameless] that was in a converted residence that had expanded into the rear yard to accommodate their business growth. I observed when we entered that both that outside and foyer doors open towards the inside the building. While waiting for the table I also noticed that the fire exit sign bulb was burned out or not working. We were seated off the main aisle in the middle of the restaurant and I could not see any other fire exit signs in back addition.

As we ate, the food was excellent, the restaurant became very busy and the lobby became packed with people waiting for a table. When I went to pay for the meal at the lobby counter, I could not reach the area the electronic payment pad was located and they had to pass if down the counter for me to sign. My family and I had great difficulty getting through the crowd to get to the foyer door open and some of the people in the foyer had to step outside to allow us to exit.

I don’t know what life safety code the City of Lakewood is using but it’s not being enforced. Code requires every emergency exit to be clearly marked and they shall open to the outside of the building. Had a fire, God forbid in wooden structure or anything had occurred that panicked people that want to exit the building quickly the people by the door would be pushed into the door preventing it from opening that would result in injuries and possible deaths by stacking and suffocation.

The City of Lakewood building department issues the occupancy permit for a business when it opens. However, does Lakewood Fire Department official, having the proper education, training and certifications in life safety and fire alarm codes sign off on the building occupancy permit? Many cities have the fire department firemen air out the ole firetruck and make building inspections looking for the obvious violations on code thus keeping the inspections current. The City of Lakewood website of babble didn’t help me find out if Fire Department is making annually fire safety compliance inspections of the commercial buildings but if they are, they are failing their duties.

One instance of panic in this building when its crowded and the City of Lakewood will determine just how good their liability insurance coverage is for gross negligence.

cameron karslake

Re: Dangerous Violations of Life Safety Codes

Postby cameron karslake » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Richard,

I recently had a similar thought at a local beverage store that has a front and rear exit. Only the front door opens out. I brought my thoughts up to the manager and he said that the orientation is "grandfathered" in, no need to change. Although, he did say he was contemplating replacing the door in the rear with a double door where the outside door opens out and the inside door opens in. I'm like "what about the safety of yourself and patrons?" He never really answered but at least I put a bug in his ear about SAFETY!!!!

I imagine the door orientation at the restaurant is grandfathered in as well considering the age of these homes. BUT, you would think once that home becomes a business the grandfathering should be null and void and SAFETY SHOULD COME FIRST.

Richard Baker

Re: Dangerous Violations of Life Safety Codes

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Most jurisdiction having authority will not allow "grandfathering" of violations of codes regarding building egress or other major life safety violations to exist. That is why you see many fire escape additions to buildings. The liquor store case, the inner door could be removed or changed to open out into the vestibule. In the restaurant case, if the exterior door was changed to open out it would open out on sidewalk posing a risk to people walking on the sidewall, however, the door should be secured open in the vestibule during business hours or removed. The inner door should be change to open out into the vestibule.

I'll write the building department and find out what life safety code the City of Lakewood is using and post the results. In addition, I will notify them that a safety issue exists that requires their attention and if they don’t respond, the City will be guilty of gross negligence. The City should be culpable for the health and welfare of its citizens, but I'm afraid that Lakewood is found more than lacking in that area.

Some people may find this as minor infraction, but I was at the Beverly Hills Club month before the fire discussing a fire alarm system with the owners before 165 people died in a fire. Most died due to blocked or locked fire exits or improperly marked fire exits.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”