One Final Walk Through...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

One Final Walk Through...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 am

As they tear down Lakewood Hospital, I was given unrestricted access to the hospital over the final weeks. Long after everyone walked through, I spent some time walking around and looking while talking with long time LH employee Jim Dempsey. Jim has worked there since 1977 when he got out of the navy. Fascinating person to speak with, especially about Lakewood Hospital, a business, and building he loved.

With his help, and information from others that have worked at Lakewood Hospital or needed it for a health emergency or procedure, the LO has assembled hundreds of images, documents, stories, art, events, and historically significant items from Lakewood Hospital online. All in a celebration of the city that kept an award-winning community hospital going strong for more than a century.

Thank you City of Lakewood Building Department, Kaitlyn, and Bryce for the access. If you have photos or stories, please share!

See it all at: http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jim-obryan/lakewood-hospital-in-photos

Message on a window in one of the nurses lounges.

I will take you from...

The sign in desk in the Emergency Room, to...

Into the darkened Emergency Room, then...

... to Heart Cathterization, to...

The Morgue! This photo shows the sinks, and "Audrey 3" an industrial size garbage disposal. It was used to get the bits and pieces of humans down the drain. The name comes from Audrey 2, the human eating plant in "Little Shop of Horrors."

From the hallways of the old building.

To the top of the Atrium! The flag in the Atrium was hung there, 9-11-01, by a Polish immigrant working at the hospital. It was saved.

From the motors that ran the elevators...

To the sub-basement and the boilers that kept everything heated.

Places no one ever got to see.

The animal testing room, last used for that purpose in the 60s. In the old days parents hoping for a child were anxious to hear, “The rabbit died!” meaning that the wife was pregnant. Well, a real rabbit was used and it would die, in this room.

And back to where we all started this...

Nurses lounge being stripped down for demolition. (photo by Jim Dempsey)

All this and many, many, many more photos, stories and documents.
http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jim-obryan/lakewood-hospital-in-photos

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”