is it too late for alternative options???

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bret Callentine

is it too late for alternative options???

Postby Bret Callentine » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:34 am

Am I the only one wondering... with the negotiating style and ethical flexibility of our elected officials, why aren't they pitching Amazon to build their second headquarters on the Lakewood Hospital site now that they got kicked out of New York? Seems to me, a team with their fiscal creativity could come up with a behind closed doors, under the table, sealed envelope, offer that they couldn't refuse.

just sayin'

"I met with Bret one on one and found him impossible to deal with." - S.K.
Jim O'Bryan

Re: is it too late for alternative options???

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:21 am

Bret Callentine wrote:Am I the only one wondering... with the negotiating style and ethical flexibility of our elected officials, why aren't they pitching Amazon to build their second headquarters on the Lakewood Hospital site now that they got kicked out of New York? Seems to me, a team with their fiscal creativity could come up with a behind closed doors, under the table, sealed envelope, offer that they couldn't refuse.

just sayin'

Brett

We possibly could have but we leveraged our largest asset for a strip mall, cafe, dry cleaner and maybe an ice cream place.

Besides, I do not think it would fit in the foot print.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bret Callentine

Postby Bret Callentine » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am

"fit the footprint"???

oh ye of limited vision.

they could just declare everything east of the river, west of 117th, north of 1-90, and south of Lake Avenue "blighted" and sell it off for pennies on the dollar.

think of the tax benefits... if we get rid of all those houses, we wouldn't need most of the schools, or much of the other city services. Lakewood could just send the resulting tax dividend check to whatever relocation camp they move us to.

progress, my friend, progress.

"I met with Bret one on one and found him impossible to deal with." - S.K.
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am

Bret Callentine wrote:Am I the only one wondering... with the negotiating style and ethical flexibility of our elected officials, why aren't they pitching Amazon to build their second headquarters on the Lakewood Hospital site now that they got kicked out of New York? Seems to me, a team with their fiscal creativity could come up with a behind closed doors, under the table, sealed envelope, offer that they couldn't refuse.

just sayin'

Mr. Callentine,

One problem I see is that our elected officials are used to documenting this type of big plan on "the back of an envelope." That was Mike Summers' testimony in the public records case, i.e. the only public records of the analysis for a $150M transaction was on "the back of an envelope." Not sure that will fly with Mr. Besos.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
cmager

Postby cmager » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Bret Callentine wrote:Am I the only one wondering... with the negotiating style and ethical flexibility of our elected officials, why aren't they pitching Amazon to build their second headquarters on the Lakewood Hospital site now that they got kicked out of New York? Seems to me, a team with their fiscal creativity could come up with a behind closed doors, under the table, sealed envelope, offer that they couldn't refuse. just sayin'

Mr. Callentine, I did the math for HQ2 in February 2018 and memorialized it in this post linked here. The land required is bounded by the railroad tracks on the north, Franklin Blvd on the south, Mars Ave on the west, and Chesterland Ave on the east. Shift it around as you see fit. I even identified the negotiating team.

http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/forum/v ... on#p181613

Alternatively, to desperately keep it within the 5.7 acres footprint, 8M square feet, at about a 33% effective footprint after parking, utilities, etc... would be about a 97-story building. Seems doable, right, as long as the FAA signs off on the Hopkins flight path.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”