FitzGerald, Summers, Budish Offer Up O'Leary

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Nadhal Eadeh

Re: FitzGerald, Summers, Budish Offer Up O'Leary

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:35 pm

cmager wrote:To me, the issue of the destruction of Lakewood Hospital, and the politics of Lakewood and NE Ohio have been miscast.

Nationally, the GOP is the party of Capital, money, The Man, the 1% ers, corporatists, CCF.
Nationally, the DEMs historically are the party of labor, of The People. But to stay competitive, the DEMs abandoned labor in the great money chase to the right that was foisted on them by the GOP. Citizens' United is but the latest blow in a decades-long attack on DEMs and labor.

In this discussion, set aside social justice issues - those are often trigger issues carefully cast to divide and exploit the electorate to vote against their best economic interests.

So, the GOP is Capital, the DEMs are The People. Haha, so you think...
In Arizona, and so many other states and localities, it is the GOP feverishly, feverishly attacking public institutions - outsourcing and privatizing and profitizing. Think public education and charters (from which the GOP profits), public unions and outsourcing, and other examples of asset-stripping and public-private "partnerships." This is true at the Ohio Statehouse, which is dominated by the GOP. This is true in Arizona.

The (Summers CCF) DEMs in NE Ohio behave about the SAME as the reactionary/ libertarian GOP in Arizona. Read that again. How can that be?

In NE Ohio, the (Summers CCF) DEMs represent Capital. Why? Because the electorate is conditioned to vote DEM. For Capital to achieve their NE Ohio goals of greed, privatization, and wealth extraction... Capital captured the (Summers CCF) DEM Party. Capital may not have captured the Progressive DEMs, but they've certainly captured that fronted by Fitzgerald, Budish, Summers, and others. All to wield the levers of Capital, to perform the asset-stripping and dysfunction that we witness in Lakewood and in the County.

Meanwhile, the electorate meanders along thinking that they've done the right thing, voted DEM, and so if the DEMs are pushing for the destruction of Lakewood Hospital, it must be the right thing. What the electorate is slow to realize, and makes for this fraud, this exploit, is that these are Summers and CCF DEMs, Corporate DEMS, DINOS, here to extract public assets for the privateers.

Cast the players not as GOP, and DEM.
Cast the players as Capital, and as The People. Then motivations of the parties, and their actions in the public square, align.

Politicians like Fitzgerald, Summers, and O'Leary do what they do to get the backing of CCF - which is THE capital wealth engine of NE Ohio... and the keeper of political careers in NE Ohio.

This is spot on! Lakewood doesn’t really have Democrat’s in leadership positions. The city spent years debating backyard chickens and ignored the largest employer/potential public corruption issues. Some Dems will tell you: “I fought for Pit bulls, chickens, tattoo parlors and
housing”. The problem is, and this is how Trump won nationally, the Democrats don’t understand that you win with the New Deal: education, healthcare and jobs, jobs, jobs.

Regarding the Democratic machine in Cuyahoga County. The Lakewood Democrats on council know how well funded the Cleveland Clinic is. When inequality is so high, it limits where politicians can get capital. Usually it’s with the affluent folks in the outer burbs.

The reason we haven’t gotten a formal investigation is two fold:

1. I’m a federal official in a high level role. Investigations occur when the “right people i.e. members of council, a mayor, a congressman, senator,etc ask for an investigation”. Absent a complaint from a few public officials, nothing happens.

2. Lakewood’s Democrats have not shown political courage to do what is right. The political advice they are getting is very poor. If I’m running for mayor, I completely embrace the save Lakewood hospital movement. It’s going to be a growing base of supporters. Why? With the wrecking ball in process, people are going to be saddened by the loss.

Let me address Mike Deneen. By and large I agree with your points. I was simply pointing out the disparity between Democratic Party messaging at the national level and comparing it to Lakewood.

Nadhal

Richard Cole

Re: FitzGerald, Summers, Budish Offer Up O'Leary

Postby Richard Cole » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Kate McCarthy wrote:
cmager wrote:To me, the issue of the destruction of Lakewood Hospital, and the politics of Lakewood and NE Ohio have been miscast.

Nationally, the GOP is the party of Capital, money, The Man, the 1% ers, corporatists, CCF.
Nationally, the DEMs historically are the party of labor, of The People. But to stay competitive, the DEMs abandoned labor in the great money chase to the right that was foisted on them by the GOP. Citizens' United is but the latest blow in a decades-long attack on DEMs and labor.

In this discussion, set aside social justice issues - those are often trigger issues carefully cast to divide and exploit the electorate to vote against their best economic interests.

So, the GOP is Capital, the DEMs are The People. Haha, so you think...
In Arizona, and so many other states and localities, it is the GOP feverishly, feverishly attacking public institutions - outsourcing and privatizing and profitizing. Think public education and charters (from which the GOP profits), public unions and outsourcing, and other examples of asset-stripping and public-private "partnerships." This is true at the Ohio Statehouse, which is dominated by the GOP. This is true in Arizona.

The (Summers CCF) DEMs in NE Ohio behave about the SAME as the reactionary/ libertarian GOP in Arizona. Read that again. How can that be?

In NE Ohio, the (Summers CCF) DEMs represent Capital. Why? Because the electorate is conditioned to vote DEM, that for Capital to achieve their NE Ohio goals of greed, privatization, and wealth extraction... Capital captured the (Summers CCF) DEM Party. Capital may not have captured the Progressive DEMs, but they've certainly captured that fronted by Fitzgerald, Budish, Summers, and others. All to wield the levers of Capital, to perform the asset-stripping and dysfunction that we witness in Lakewood and in the County.

Meanwhile, the electorate meanders along thinking that they've done the right thing, voted DEM, and so if the DEMs are pushing for the destruction of Lakewood Hospital, it must be the right thing. What the electorate is slow to realize, and makes for this fraud, this exploit, is that these are Summers and CCF DEMs, Corporate DEMS, DINOS, here to extract public assets for the privateers.

Cast the players not as GOP, and DEM.
Cast the players as Capital, and as The People. Then motivations of the parties, and their actions in the public square, align.

Politicians like Fitzgerald, Summers, and O'Leary do what they do to get the backing of CCF - which is THE capital wealth engine of NE Ohio... and the keeper of political careers in NE Ohio.

Very well said but another frame in all of this is ethical government vs corruption. That is why we see lifelong Republicans and progressive Democrats united against what is happening in Lakewood. Which also makes it harder to fight. Cronyism has always crossed party lines and many local politicians simply grab the label that will get them a victory, political philosophy be damned. I do think there are people of all political stripes that can and do unite against corruption and I think that is what this next election will be about.

I'd be interested to see what Larry Keller has to say on this.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”