Constantino’s on Sloane

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Constantino’s on Sloane

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm

The Lakewood Facebook group is discussing whether Constantino’s, which opened about a year ago in the former Bin location, is closing. Bare shelves, minimal staffing, empty parking lot. Some claim to have heard it was closing.

Hmmmm.

cmager

Re: Constantino’s on Sloane

Postby cmager » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:56 am

Bridget Conant wrote:The Lakewood Facebook group is discussing whether Constantino’s, which opened about a year ago in the former Bin location, is closing. Bare shelves, minimal staffing, empty parking lot. Some claim to have heard it was closing. Hmmmm.

That would make a great location for a community food store that, within its mission, provides training and employment opportunities to those with special needs. Maybe a non-profit of trustworthy people could be formed in such a way...

Barring that, it should be privatized, and when that fails, it can become condos or mixed use condos.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 pm

I drove by Constantino's yesterday and the sign out front said, "Now Closed." Today the sign had been disconnected. I never went to Constantino's so I won't miss it. I agree with cmager that it would make a great location for a community food store..

Betsy Voinovich

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Betsy Voinovich wrote:I drove by Constantino's yesterday and the sign out front said, "Now Closed." Today the sign had been disconnected. I never went to Constantino's so I won't miss it. I agree with cmager that it would make a great location for a community food store..

Betsy Voinovich

Well, that didn’t last long now, did it?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm

The store opened in December 2017, so it lasted about 15 months.

I’m sure they anticipated business from Clifton Park and the residents of those pricy boxes, I mean condos, at McKinley Place.

All I can say is it sounds like another FOLLY! :lol:

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:28 pm

Location. Location. Location. That is a lousy location for any retail business that is not a destination kind of store.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:16 am

I think it was more an issue of competition.

You’ve got Heinen’s and Whole Foods right down the street - about 3 minutes by car. Heinens has lots of gourmet and prepared foods as well as normal grocery items. Whole Foods has the edge on organic and the specialty goods.

What did Constantino's offer that you couldn’t get at Heinens or Whole Foods?

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to locate there is not a smart businessman.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Whoever thought it would be a good idea to locate there is not a smart businessman.

Bridget

Back when this went down I posted, it was more for the land than the business.

Expect to see little box homes soon, from the corner of Sloane to Vista Bridge.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:Whoever thought it would be a good idea to locate there is not a smart businessman.

Bridget
Back when this went down I posted, it was more for the land than the business. Expect to see little box homes soon, from the corner of Sloane to Vista Bridge.

That land? That land has so many challenges. It's worth maybe $1 to the right buyer...

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”