Rood Food and Pie

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Rood Food and Pie

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Before Rood opened I spent some time with the owner Brian Ruthsatz talking about his plan to bring something new and fresh to Lakewood, and the West Side of Lakewood in particular. Brian had been up in Chicago for years but was looking to get into the restaurant business as an owner, and came home to Cleveland. Lakewood is where he landed, and I am sure I have never met anyone as excited as he was to be back in Cleveland..

As we talked about all sorts of ideas and plans, he was describing what he was going to do. Sliders and pie. I thought hmmm, nothing really unique there but we shall see. While talking with him he would bring out pie after pie to sample, and I had to admit, the pie thing he had nailed down, but sliders I was not so sure, but I hadn't tasted them. So tonight we finally wandered up to Rood, and saw there was a short line, but a full house of happy smiling people. Hmmmmmmm

One of the things he said was, "You bring out some slaw, some buns, some duck, pork, beef, chicken or jackfruit, and allow the table to share, and build, and share what they wanted. It will create a fun gathering atmosphere." Well damn he nailed it. Not only was everyone loving the food, they loved sharing food, tips, and even asking, "what was that pie you ordered it looked great?" Amazing atmosphere, and honestly like nothing else in Cleveland that I have been to. A great addition to the West Side of Lakewood. An area that is already sporting some of the finest restaurants in town.

So what you have here from bottom left. Martini, bag a buns, SWEET KOREAN BBQ PULLED PORK House-made Korean chili bbq is tossed with slow roasted hand cut pork, then drizzled with beet molasses. Served with our fennel and Spanish onion slaw. Top right is their Pom/Basil Martini ($12) and CANDIED DUCK Roast duck with black current and sage honey, duck bacon and jackfruit chestnuts. Served with their sour cherry slaw. ($18)

Which brings us to...
Korean BBQ Pork, AND candied Duck with slaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn that hit the flavor spectrum!

Where to start, the slaws were refreshing, but the Korean Pork was sensational. Likewise the Candied Duck was done perfectly. So Deb and I started to mix and match and speak with people at tables near us. Everyone was smiling, laughing talking and having a great time. In the back room there were groups of 8, 12 and 6 all doing the same thing. 2 rooms of fun enjoying good food, drinks and PIE!

I would love to review the pie, but we were so full after dinner, we got our pie to go. Because to go Rood without having pie, is to miss a big part of the name, the experience, and pies that are out of this world. (I have had them before!)

17001 Madison Ave, Lakewood
216-712-4506
HOURS MON - THU 4:30 - 10PM
FRI / SAT 11:30 - 11PM
SUN / CLOSED
HAPPY HOUR - M-F 4:30-6:30

Check it out, you will not be disappointed, you will tell all of your friends, and you will be back, again and again.

Brian and crew, thank you for doing this in Lakewood, especially on the West Side in the Historic Emerald Canyon District!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”