Nostradamus? HAHA Hardly

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Nostradamus? HAHA Hardly

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Observers are just well connected very open minded individuals.

The City of Lakewood announced today that Starbucks will be moving into Burger King.

Something that was announced on the Deck 8 months ago.

Another coffee shop.

Let's not forget the anchor of our new multi-use strip mall is a Cafe. Wow, now I am starting to doubt if it was worth gambling our health care, and squandering $248 million in public assets for that "One Lakewood" strip mall errr "multi-use Strip Mall."

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Re: Nostradamus? HAHA Hardly

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

I asked the BK employees about this last week. They indicated that that their store will close in April and not be replaced....the W. 117th BK will become the only one in town.

I'm sure Root will be just fine, but I hope the Starbucks doesn't kill the new coffee shops in town.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Everyone knew Starbucks was going there. :roll:

Jim, it was ONE YEAR ago that that info was on the Deck.

http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24580&p=181378&hilit=Starbucks#p181378

I remember when it happened.

A vision appeared at the Burger King Drive-Thru window and said. "Hey did you hear we were bought by Starbucks?" I said, "All Burger Kings?" and they said, "no just this store." In the following days through open discussion we learned why. Lakewood's moratorium on drive-thrus forced Starbucks into buying an existing one. Then a couple months later City Hall rolled on their backs and were willing to make exceptions for Wendy's, Chicken Fingers and well anyone willing to talk to them and bat their eyes. :roll:

A call to a friend at corporate backed that up with, "It will remain a Burger King." Forever? I asked, "No about a year." which was also reported.

It should be interesting with One Lakewood betting heavily on a Cafe in their mixed use strip mall. Could the original coffee company that invented the $4.00 black cup coffee, out of an urn give them a run for their money. Potentially losing the tens of dollars we might get back from our $248 million loss err investment in strip malls, errrrrr multi-use strip malls.

As with everything, when they are pumping out positive press about themselves, you know something else is going on. Tomorrow I'll show you.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Will the Starbucks also serve as the local "Schultz 2020" presidential campaign office?

cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:39 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Will the Starbucks also serve as the local "Schultz 2020" presidential campaign office?

Maybe it'll be one of those fancy Artisanal Starbucks.

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Total credit to the Deck for this. I saw the official news and no credit was giving to the Observer at all.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm

What is the carbon footprint of 50 cars waiting in line for coffee?

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Bill Call wrote:What is the carbon footprint of 50 cars waiting in line for coffee?

Great question. A lot. The last thing that area needed was a Starbucks with a drive through. Traffic is already bad between Andrews and Marc's Plaza. It will only get worse.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Will the Starbucks also serve as the local "Schultz 2020" presidential campaign office?
so many candidates for such an affiliation. Think about it while you're picking up your dog food in the new shopping center.

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Gotta laugh ... I saw the Starbucks thing on Facebook and decided to come over to the Observer to see what was here. At first glance I was like, hmm, they don't have anything. Then I clicked on this thread out of curiosity and boom, there it is. You might get a bit more credit with a more clearly telegraphed headline, but we've had this discussion before.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Paul Schrimpf wrote:Gotta laugh ... I saw the Starbucks thing on Facebook and decided to come over to the Observer to see what was here. At first glance I was like, hmm, they don't have anything. Then I clicked on this thread out of curiosity and boom, there it is. You might get a bit more credit with a more clearly telegraphed headline, but we've had this discussion before.

Paul

We have had that discussion before. We generally feel that a person has a right on this DISCUSSION BOARD, to label and shepherd their own discussions. As such, we have to work around various issues, but if we take the time, and look gold is nearly always found. As pointed out this was posted and beat to death over a year ago when it happened, and when it was news.

I was recently called about the "1/2 of City's Police Laid Off," they wanted to sue us for a FAKE NEWS. I pointed out that it is on a discussion board, the headline was real, and true. Nowhere in the headline did it say City of Lakewood. The very first words in the story were, "Not Lakewood but in..." I understood the person's confusion, and even a tiny bit of their angst. But what amount of control should we have in a discussion board?* Should we allow the writer, who has put their real name on it, own it and the controversy that comes of it?

"Well how many people who read the headline were confused?" they asked. I told them, "I have no idea, and if all people do are read headlines and tell others, then they are fools, and no really our target audience. Since day one, we look for thinkers, that can carry on conversations, read stories, and bring something to the discussion. This is what makes the Deck different from the highly regulated FB communities which for Lakewood now is past 40 different "no we are the Lakewood..."

But as you have pointed out, we have been in this discussion before with no one ever offering a way to change it fairly to all, 24/7/365.

Thank you for the points you raise, and as always we are open to a better way.

* From day one there has been a way to report troublesome posts, and even request actions. To date the reports are under 20, and are running about 50/50 in actions.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:06 am

The next corporate coffee shop to come to Lakewood. 9 locally owned coffee shops catering from everything from Vegans, to Moms, Hippies to executives. Hell even Vegan Hippie Executive Moms and Dads.

Caribou was the last to try. Should be interesting to see how this works out. Also to watch is the traffic issues if any.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:23 am

cmager wrote:Looks like a gray Burger King.

That's odd, the hair salon to the right of it looks like a Caribou Coffee,

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”