Happy Lakewood Groundparrot Day!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Gary Rice

Happy Lakewood Groundparrot Day!

Postby Gary Rice » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 am

Good Friends All:

Well, here we are again in the bleak midwinter; 45 days past, and 45 to go in this season, it would seem.

Happy Candlemas and Bear Day, or as I call it, Groundparrot day. I like to send an updated version of this message annually so here it is:

The great poet Christina Rossetti penned that beautiful "in The Bleak Midwinter" poem back in 1872, and while she intended it to describe the time of Christmas (It was originally titled "A Christmas Carol") that term pretty well works for this moment in time, as well. In spite of the "bleak" angle, the poem is a wonderful and inspiring read, if you'd like to look it up, but I digress here. :D

Those of us coming from the Christian faith tradition may also well recall that today marks Candlemas, that ancient mid-winter church tradition of blessing candles during this dark time of year, as well as the presentation of Jesus in the Temple, but again, I digress. :D

Digressing seems to be what I do so often these days with my writing, and I suppose that beats regressing, but again....I digress here. :D

Anyway, for most of us, today is probably best known as Groundhog Day, although many years ago, it was BEARS that the peasants in Germany looked out for, that might have been coming out of their lairs around this time of year to stretch their legs and look for food. Thing is, bears...hungry bears...might be interpreted as being a mite more intimidating to little children, so the smaller hibernating mammal, the humble little groundhog, was substituted in the popular folklore.

And yes, my friends, even around these parts of Northeast Ohio, bears were once prolific; at least until the Great Hinckley Hunt in 1818, exactly two hundred and one years ago. It was then, on Christmas Eve. 1818, that the good settlers of this area decided to rid Northeast Ohio of bears and wolves forever and for that matter, just about anything non-human that happened to be moving around on that day. The muskets cracked, and the animals fell, and the buzzards swooped in to feast on the carrion.

Every year, the descendants of those buzzards return to Hinckley, looking for more carcasses, but again....I digress here. :roll:

For those of you who have followed my columns over the years, my parrot "Groundparrot Gilligan" gave Lakewood her predictions for the next six weeks. When Gilly passed away, my bodacious little conure, "Badweather BB" took over. Last year, BB's predictions trumped all other predictions and indeed, his prediction prevailed. This year, BB looked out the window and shivered, seeing his shadow again in spite of the rolling clouds...To quote him:

"Chirp chirp chirp...peep!"

It seems that winter indeed, shall stick around for a bit, dear readers, but there is indeed a bright side to this, and indeed there is to virtually every story....if one looks hard enough.

....At least there were no buzzards present today to chase little BB around....but again, I digress here. :D

Now, banjo-wise, as for upcoming musical events that you may wish to attend: Tonight, Feb. 2nd, at Rocky River United Methodist Church on Detroit Ave., there’s a praise band concert at 7 p.m. hosting a number of area church bands. Sounds like a good time. Food too. This Sunday, we’ll be having our acoustic song circle for the residents of Concord Reserve Lutheran Home in Westlake, starting at 3 p.m. Come and jam with us. On Monday, Feb 4th, the Brunswick Church of the Nazarene will have their Gospel jam stating at 6:30 p.m.. That’s always a great time. Come, listen, or play. The following Saturday, Feb. 9th, is the great coffeehouse for Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Westlake. That one’s a 2-3 song open mike (Sign up by 6 if you want to play) Of course, there are plenty of other opportunities to listen or play around Northeast Ohio. Go to the Folknet or Cleveland Blues Society websites to find out more.

On Feb. 21 there will be an evening open mike coffeehouse at the Springvale Clubhouse on Canterbury Road. Performers are asked to go to North Olmsted's municipal website (!) to obtain and fill out an application to play. First I’ve heard of that sort of thing but there it is.

Of historical interest, they used to (in the '60's?) sponsor a drop-in coffeehouse at City Hall here in Lakewood, if I am remembering correctly. Perhaps one day we could indeed sing "Kumbayah" at City Hall, but again, I digress here. :D

We're always looking around for more musical participation opportunity venues in Lakewood. There's one at Brothers Lounge on Wednesdays, and that's close by at least.

Looking ahead to the Lenten season, we’ll be having a singer-songwriter-type open mike weekly at the Lakewood Masonic Temple Fridays open-to-the-public fish frys from 4:30-8:00, during the period from March 8 through Good Friday. Come, eat, play, and have the opportunity to go through that famous ancient landmark. Just PM me and let me know the days and best times that you would like to come and play.

Stay warm all. Just know that, before long, we’ll be tapping those trees, and the maple sap will start to run. Soon, as Pete Seeger sang, it will be maple syrup time again. I can’t wait for those pancakes! :D

Attached: graphic depiction of bear and groundhog, courtesy of my good friend Will of Vancouver B.C. Will really captures the true spirit of this day.

Back to the banjo... :D
Attachments
banjo_bear.jpg
banjo_bear.jpg (400.63 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

mjkuhns

Re: Happy Lakewood Groundparrot Day!

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for this post, good sir.

Gary Rice wrote:Looking ahead to the Lenten season, we’ll be having a singer-songwriter-type open mike weekly at the Lakewood Masonic Temple Fridays open-to-the-public fish frys from 4:30-8:00, during the period from March 8 through Good Friday. Come, eat, play, and have the opportunity to go through that famous ancient landmark.

I highly recommend to anyone.

:: matt kuhns ::

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”