Three Arches Foundation and Healthy Lakewood Foundation

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Brian Essi

Re: Three Arches Foundation and Healthy Lakewood Foundation

Postby Brian Essi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:The Three Arches Foundation 2017 Form 990

I encourage everyone to download and review the Three Arches Foundation Form 990 for 2017.

This Foundation with more than $35,000,000 in net assets did next to nothing in year 2017.

A sole grant in the amount of $162,077 was made to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

Yep! That's it!

This exemplifies the "new model of healthcare" that the mayor and some members of city council have been crowing about.

Unbelievable!

(The self-serving statements in the Form are quite a trip, too.)

AND, it takes nineteen--count them--nineteen board members, a paid investment consultant, and a full-time employee to make a payment for a single grant.

What am I missing?

Mr. Kindt,

It is my understanding that this foundation continued programs that it conducted prior to the hospital closure, which programs involved giving needed drugs to underserved patients (who were patients of CCF doctors).

Since the hospital no longer existed (for over a year), there was much internal "head scratching" by the 19 trustees about what to do with money that previously went to the hospital. This was a big decision for a board that sat by and voted to close a hospital led by BIG THINKERS like Ken Haber and Jay Foran.

One question is: Why couldn't this BIG THINKING foundation develop & manage a program that involved non-CCF physicians prescribing drugs to patients who can't afford them?

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm

One question is: Why couldn't this BIG THINKING foundation develop & manage a program that involved non-CCF physicians prescribing drugs to patients who can't afford them?

Because then their pals, the Clinic, couldn’t claim that they were providing charity care!

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:35 am

Carrying Coals To Newcastle

Yes, clearly, the Three Arches Foundation is the foundation that nobody needs now.

Once upon a time, the Lakewood Hospital Foundation supported an award-winning, community acute-care hospital with a long local heritage.

However, the leadership of that foundation was instrumental in the demise of that hospital and its long-standing mission.

Now we can see that in its reincarnation as the Three Arches Foundation it has a very large board and no real purpose at all.

Clearly reflected in both the destination and size of the 2017 grant(s).

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:18 am

Next To Nothing Has Been Spent For Healthcare

Lakewood Hospital was closed three years ago and we can see that next to nothing has been spent for healthcare over that three year period.

Three Arches Foundation -- just a drop in the bucket.

Healthy Lakewood Foundation -- not even a drop.

Lakewood Hospital Association -- $60,000.

Maybe Three Arches did more in 2018, but the public will not know until that foundation files their next IRS Form 990 (next November).

In the past three years nothing has been done to advance the laudable, but phony PR goal, of making Lakewood "the healthiest city in America."

Except Demolish The Hospital.

....Great job Lakewood civic leadership.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:45 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Lakewood Hospital was closed three years ago and we can see that next to nothing has been spent for healthcare over that three year period.

Three Arches Foundation -- just a drop in the bucket.

Healthy Lakewood Foundation -- not even a drop.

....Great job Lakewood civic leadership.

I asked these questions in a second email:

Will future 990’s be post on the web site?

Can I get a copy of the governing documents?

Can I get a list of the supported organizations and or the members of the community collaborative supported by the Three Arches Foundation?

I see that the Cleveland Clinic is listed as a supported organization. What is the purpose of that support? Is that support an ongoing obligation or a onetime occurrence?

Will applications for support for organizations or individuals be made available to the public?

Will the Foundation report to the people of Lakewood the names of all individuals and organizations who donate to the Foundation?

Will the Foundation report to the people of Lakewood the names of all individuals and organizations who receive money from the Foundation.

Will the Foundation post its checkbook on line?

I received this answer:

Thanks for your continued interest in Three Arches Foundation, a grant making foundation serving Lakewood and surrounding communities. The Form 990 is the best source for information about the foundation as it provides the public a complete disclosure of our activities every year. In addition, our website serves as an ongoing resource and includes information relative to grant making.

I responded with this; (The original question is in black, the follow up in red.)

Thank you for your response.

Can I get a copy of the governing documents? I do not see the governing documents posted on the Web site. Is that information available?

Can I get a list of the supported organizations and or the members of the community collaborative supported by the Three Arches Foundation?

I do not see a list of supported organizations or list of the members of the community collaborative on the web site. Is that information available?

I see that the Cleveland Clinic is listed as a supported organization. What is the purpose of that support? Is that support an ongoing obligation or a onetime occurrence?

I do not see the answers anywhere on the web site. Is that information available from another source?

Will applications for support for organizations or individuals be made available to the public?

I do not see the answers anywhere on the web site. Is that information available from another source?

Will the Foundation report to the people of Lakewood the names of all individuals and organizations who donate to the Foundation?

Will the Foundation report to the people of Lakewood the names of all individuals and organizations who receive money from the Foundation?

Will the Foundation post its checkbook on line?

One of the reasons $85 million in Hospital cash and investments was transferred to private foundations was because those foundations are not obligated to provide any details about their revenues or expenditures. 990's aren't all that helpful.

It is odd that the 990 reports that the Three Arches Foundation is now part of a consortium. Apparently, the people of Lakewood our not entitled to know who is a member of the consortium. That's odd.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:17 am

As citizens of Lakewood, we have year-by-year witnessed the most brazen and well-lawyered heist of public assets and public rights -- a heist and looting of our public hospital rife with documented conflicts-of-interest, massive self-dealing, and asset-stripping -- with an extraordinary cover-up right down to false affidavits filed in the local courts.

Brick dust now rises into the air from the demolition as I write this.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 pm

You made some very interesting points. Especially the cost to manage the foundation when their legacy is going down with a wreaking ball. A donation to Cleveland Clinic that cute.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”