City Schools Delinquent on Property Tax?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

City Schools Delinquent on Property Tax?

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

The Pee Dee has an article today about delinquent property taxes. To my surprise, the Lakewood City School District was listed several times, one for almost half a million, another for over 700k.

They also owe on 15615 Clifton - over 1 million dollars.

I’m hoping Christine Gordillo will explain this. Don’t the school properties have tax exempt status? If not, what is the status of these delinquent tax bills?

Michael Deneen

Re: City Schools Delinquent on Property Tax?

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:34 am

The School District should definitely be tax exempt.
However, I'm curious why they own residential properties.
Were these homes purchased for possible school expansions?

Christine Gordillo

Postby Christine Gordillo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:55 am

15615 is Lincoln Elementary's address. The delinquency listings stem from our construction projects where several parcels were combined/added to the existing school property. The District's applications for tax-exempt status for those parcels that are now part of the original school building property are pending. The District does not pay the tax bill while awaiting the new exempt status, thus the delinquency listings.

Christine Gordillo
Communications & PR Coordinator
Lakewood City Schools

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Christine

Thank you. I thought there must be an explanation as my understanding was that the property was tax exempt.

I appreciate your prompt response!

Edward Favre

Postby Edward Favre » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:06 am

Information from LCS Treasurer Kent Zeman:

During the construction process the District purchased various parcels for additional space or combined parcels to bring the new buildings under one parcel. That process automatically requires the District to reapply for exemption of the parcels with that State of Ohio. Until the District receives a tax bill it cannot apply for an exemption. Therefore, the properties will be listed as delinquent until the State grants the exemption. Once the exemption is granted the District no longer will be listed as delinquent.

The exemption process unfortunately takes a bit of time. However, I can report that the properties have just been approved for exemption.

Ed Favre

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”