Moral Consequences of Economic Development Decisions

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: Moral Consequences of Economic Development Decisions

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm

The Deprivation Model of Healthcare

Here we witness approximately $7,000,000 in annual charity medical care hauled away by the City of Lakewood's demolition contractors.

Somehow, privately, our civic leadership concluded that our community did not deserve to have its award-winning heritage community/public hospital.

I will be voting against all incumbents that participated or even knew about this public policy disaster. (Image courtesy of Lakewood Observer)
782105c5f89440c7f2b1c7041aa1595a.jpg
782105c5f89440c7f2b1c7041aa1595a.jpg (747.75 KiB) Viewed 5180 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am

Why Are Lakewood City Documents Always Filled With BS?

This document prepared by the City of Lakewood's environmental consultant in April 2016 has statements from a city employee that are complete BS at the time that they were made.

There had been no appraisal of the property at this time and the property had not been sold to any purchaser.

Of course, there was never any adaptive reuse plan ever considered. The demolition plans existed as early as 2012. The 2014 Letter of Intent and the 2015 Master Agreement were based on those plans.

The Cleveland Clinic's demolition plans were the first plans reviewed by the City of Lakewood and the consultant at the time (Subsidium, now defunct) in 2013.

Adaptive reuse, such as right-sizing the hospital, had been rejected by the City of Lakewood in both 2014 and 2015 with the clear rejection or disregard of proposals from Metro Health and Surgical Development Partners.
Lakewood-Hospital-Phase-I-ESA 11.jpg
Lakewood-Hospital-Phase-I-ESA 11.jpg (313.02 KiB) Viewed 5131 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:03 am

Your City Government At Work

At least the Building Department can argue that it didn't lie to the environmental consultant. It just ignored the request for 6 weeks.

The City of Lakewood owned the hospital building and the archive of historical documents like blueprints were at the hospital.

Lakewood-Hospital-Phase-I-ESA 15.jpg
Lakewood-Hospital-Phase-I-ESA 15.jpg (426.67 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Quoting from a different post made earlier today:

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Update...

According to insiders, river, lake, water issue far worse than first thought.

From the front page of LO 15_07

“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations,
if you live near him.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Stay tuned.

One of the jobs of Council is to oversee the the conduct of the Mayor and his departments. As far as I can see there has been no oversight.

Where are the monthly construction updates and status reports? Where is Council?

The worse the Hospital debacle gets the more they Mayor digs in.

So let me get this straight.

The demolition of Lakewood Hospital continues, but the redevelopment plans are in delay mode because of known site conditions related to underground water flow.

I think you might all be suggesting that the Brainiacs at City Hall did not actually know whether or not the former hospital site could actually be redeveloped for commercial reuse when they entered into the Master Agreement to liquidate and close Lakewood Hospital.

If so...unbelievable!

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:26 pm

If the former hospital site was unsuitable and yet was offered as developal parcel does that actually shove the City further down the list if bankruptcy is invoked?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Stan Austin wrote:If the former hospital site was unsuitable and yet was offered as developal parcel does that actually shove the City further down the list if bankruptcy is invoked?

I have no powers of prognostication.

I just read documents for a living.

I'm not making any decisions here.

For good or for ill, Lakewood has chosen its path.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 am

NOTE TO LAKEWOOD PLANNING DEPARTMENT

Cancel subscription to The Washington Post.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retail- ... ted-2019-4

Here's what the bank economists are telling investors about "bricks and mortar" retail.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 am

The Salient Analysis

75,000 retail stores projected to close.

UBS predicts that clothing stores are going to be hit the hardest, closing an estimated 21,000 stores — or 17% of all clothing shops across the US — by 2026.

Electronics and home furnishing stores are also expected to close thousands of stores, with the electronics category expected to shutter about 10,000 and home furnishing to close roughly 8,000.

More than 5,800 store closures have been announced so far in 2019, as retailers including Victoria's Secret, JCPenney, and Gap shutter dozens of locations.

1,100 closures were announced in a single day in March. And, 11 retailers have already filed for bankruptcy or liquidation so far this year.

Like I have said before, I don't just make this stuff up.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 am

Divest from Healthcare -- Invest in Retail

While bank economists are telling their investors that 75,000 retail stores are likely to close in the foreseeable future, the City of Lakewood is investing heavily to subsidize the future retail development at Detroit & Belle.

--with 84,000 square feet of new retail space.

(SEE) https://www.onelakewoodplace.com/

These subsidized investments in retail development (mixed-use) follow tens of millions of dollars of divestment from healthcare, the largest growing sector of the American economy.

The City has chosen its path.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Mark Kindt said [quote][The City has chosen its path./quote] in what should be a market driven choice, not government.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”