Cove Church Plans

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Cove Church Plans

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 am

Councilman Tristan Rader has a poll on his Facebook page asking if residents approve of plans for the city to buy the Cove Church property and turn it into a community Center.

Any comments?

Bill Call

Re: Cove Church Plans

Postby Bill Call » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Councilman Tristan Rader has a poll on his Facebook page asking if residents approve of plans for the city to buy the Cove Church property and turn it into a community Center.

Any comments?

Why does Lakewood need a community center?

Who is pushing for a community center?

The site is valued at about $650,000. How much will the City pay?

How much will it cost to convert the site to a community center?

The lot is about 1.5 acres. How many condos could be built on that site?

How much tax revenue and economic activity will be generated by a condo project?

How much tax revenue and economic activity will be generated by a community center?

On your list of the 20 greatest challenges facing Lakewood where would you place the lack of a community center?

Whose idea was this?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:57 am

Similar questions are being posed on Rader’s page.

What exactly will this “community center” be doing? How much will it cost us?

So many questions.

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 am

Maybe I should start another thread, but I'll start here. . . .

I would rather the Cove Church property be offered up to Solove Development, which just unveiled to the residents of Parkwood Road (myself included), Wyandotte, and Bunts their plan for one 5 story apartment building with a 375 space parking garage between Wyandotte and Parkwood,along with a second, 8 story apartment building (complete with outdoor swimming pool and dog park) between Parkwood and Bunts. A total of 278 units with rents ranging from $1600 - $3000 a month.

There were audible gasps and cries when this announcement was made. I live one house away from the property. My next door neighbors are going to have an 8 store behemoth built mere feet from their house. My neighbors across the street will have the swimming pool and outdoor deck area just feet from theirs. How can the city possibly allow this to happen in a residential neighborhood? Wouldn't a better site be one that is larger, more isolated, and closer to the Gold Coast such as Cove Church?

If the city is hell-bent on building a Community Center, then build it on Detroit in the middle of Lakewood . . .

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:58 am

When residents on Woodward were dismayed at the proposed McDonalds, they were reminded that they chose to live near Detroit, a commercial road.

When people on Edwards expressed concern at the Beer Garden at the corner, they were basically told the same thing.

But god forbid you try to do or build anything near the precious Clifton Park or Lake Rd owners - they’ll make sure it’s NIMBY.

I’m pretty sure your voices will be ignored, Amy. We have an administration that worships “development” at the expense of its residents.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Walkability?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:18 pm

This particular concept came to light at yesterday’s Finance Committee hearing during a discussion of the Human Services Dept. budget. My understanding of the idea is that a community/senior center at the Cove Church site would be a relatively temporary use (although “temporary” could mean a decade or longer). The long-term idea for that property is to build a stormwater storage structure there. Lakewood’s water treatment facility is in the metro parks, on the western edge of the city. Wastewater and stormwater from the east end is the last to get treated, and often enough is never treated at all but rather discharged into the lake. There are several possible solutions to this problem, one of which being to build a structure on the east end of the city to hold water until it can be treated. Cove Church is being eyed as a possible site for such a facility sometime down the road. But it’s for sale now. In the meantime, it could be used for other purposes, including a community/senior center possibly, if council were to approve of purchasing it.

Dan O'Malley
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Why don't the current owners of the property just put it up for sale on the open market?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Trying to envision a water treatment holding tank on that site.

Isn’t that a rather industrial use of the land? It’s residential area.

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Trying to envision a water treatment holding tank on that site.

I believe it could be constructed underground.

Dan O'Malley
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:38 pm

There are two holding tanks, underground that have already been built. One is on Madison between Mars and Arthur and it was built in the mid '70s. The other is underneath Clifton at Webb and it was built in the 90s.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Stan Austin wrote:There are two holding tanks, underground that have already been built. One is on Madison between Mars and Arthur and it was built in the mid '70s. The other is underneath Clifton at Webb and it was built in the 90s.

Wow! You are a fount of information, Stan!

cmager

Postby cmager » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Stan Austin wrote:There are two holding tanks, underground that have already been built. One is on Madison between Mars and Arthur and it was built in the mid '70s. The other is underneath Clifton at Webb and it was built in the 90s.

Mr. Austin, are these tanks underground within the right of way of the street?

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 am

As I recall the one on Madison is at a slight diagonal and takes up most of the street. The one on Clifton was straight on underneath the left turn onto W.Clifton lanes. Also, as part of that project, was a diversionary discharge sewer up Webb into Lake Erie. This was a less expensive alternative than a discharge into Rocky River which would have required a higher degree of sewage treatment due to the smaller size of Rocky River (even though it discharges into Lake Erie 100yds upstream).

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am

One Very Simple Idea

A new community center can be planned and integrated into the mixed/use development presently in its planning stages at "One Lakewood Place".

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”